Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsPHATSplit Advice

PHAT chnages12425

BitchesFancyMe private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys i recently started PHAT wokout by Layne Norton and i was wondering if i could superset the arms in the hypertrophy day(chest and arms)cause its said that supersting the arms will improve your arms gains and it saves a lot of time!!. Also i putted incline shoulder shrugs after upright row and add a superset for shoulders: front plate raises ss rear delt flyes. Give me your thoughts about it and please reply!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Supersetting doesn't result in greater growth. It results in lesser effort for the second exercise. While it may not always decrease the results of the two exercises, it certainly hasn't been priven to increase performance or hypertrophy that I'm aware of. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Supersetting doesn't result in greater growth. It results in lesser effort for the second exercise. While it may not always decrease the results of the two exercises, it certainly hasn't been priven to increase performance or hypertrophy that I'm aware of. -3X

thanks for the info man. just 1 more thing, can i ad more sets on the assistance movements? i always feel like i can do 1 more set even if go to failure on the last set i did. reply pls
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Personally I wouldn't. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Konstantinov private msg quote post Address this user
That username though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinov
That username though.

Never too serius
Post 6 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
That username though.

yea lost my shit at OP's name haha
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchesFancyMe
Quote:
That username though.

Never too serius

Or literate. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
hey guys i was watching the old PHAT workout. On power days they do 5x5 exercises and on hypertrophy days it has a lot of supersets. i think i might incorporate the 5x5 on the power moves in the power days and superset the arms. What u guys think?
Post 9 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
and superset the arms. What u guys think?

Did u not just get an answer for this q ??

I've supersetted plenty in the past.. while u get a great pump from it ur progress in weight increases and ur form will tak a hit leading to minimal muscle contraction.

In summary.

Good pump.. no gains.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Quote:
and superset the arms. What u guys think?

Did u not just get an answer for this q ??

I've supersetted plenty in the past.. while u get a great pump from it ur progress in weight increases and ur form will tak a hit leading to minimal muscle contraction.

In summary.

Good pump.. no gains.

so superset is to maintain muscle?
Post 11 IP   flag post
wazzup guys, just finish mys 1st week of PHAT routine and i felt that i should change it a bit more so i dont hurt myself. 1st the speed work. I know these are to improve ur strenght on power days but i dont feel safe doing them. Whenever i try to speed up the movement i fell that i lose control of it and its starts to hurt in some joint places. Squating and deadlifting in the same day isnt too much stress for the lower back? I dont wear any belt and recently i have been experiencing some lower back pain in my left side. 3rd hammer presses dont work for me, need to replace for another exercise!
So what should i do instead of the speed work? norml hypertrophy? Is it safe to do squats and deadlifts in the same day?
Post 12 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
wazzup guys, just finish mys 1st week of PHAT routine and i felt that i should change it a bit more so i dont hurt myself. 1st the speed work. I know these are to improve ur strenght on power days but i dont feel safe doing them. Whenever i try to speed up the movement i fell that i lose control of it and its starts to hurt in some joint places. Squating and deadlifting in the same day isnt too much stress for the lower back? I dont wear any belt and recently i have been experiencing some lower back pain in my left side. 3rd hammer presses dont work for me, need to replace for another exercise!
So what should i do instead of the speed work? norml hypertrophy? Is it safe to do squats and deadlifts in the same day?

dude you're overthinking.

just lift heavy and eat big.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhLoLo
Quote:

dude you're overthinking.

just lift heavy and eat big.

lower back pain is overthinking?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
I use supersets only in an emergency. Namely when I'm in a rush but I can't make it to the gym later in the day, I'd rather go and get an alright pump rather than skip a day. Other than that I don't really try to use them.

Speed work is about explosiveness. If you cant 'explode' with good form, use less weight. These aren't big ass jerking motions just to get the weight up.

Quote:
Squating and deadlifting in the same day isnt too much stress for the lower back?

I never feel pain in my lower back from squats/deadlifts. I USED to when my form was all jacked up. Maybe you should record your form and make sure it's correct? Also the PHAT guide recommends that you don't squat/deadlift on the same day unless you're experienced or comfortable with the volume of the routines.

For the Hammer Presses just do another chest isolation exercise. Flyes, cable crossovers, whatever. There is a way to have bad form on hammer presses as well..
Post 15 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the info man. just 1 more thing, can i ad more sets on the assistance movements? i always feel like i can do 1 more set even if go to failure on the last set i did. reply pls

yes, overthinking
Post 16 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@BitchesFancyMe SUpersets are again an object in ur arsenal to shock the muscles. They don't have a SET specific reason to be utilised.

If u think ur hurting urself during speedwork ur doing it WRONG and most likely with TOO MUCH WEIGHT.

It's to be carried out with 65-70% of ur 3-5rep max.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhLoLo
Quote:
Quote:

yes, overthinking

ok i agree that was overthinking, but i only asked these stupid question cause im not that experient and you guys know much more than i do, so you whats right and it isnt.
Post 18 IP   flag post
340764 18 18
destitute