Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceSplit AdviceTraining LogTraining Programs

Making the cut...12420

Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
After being undecided and wishy washy, I've decided to make the cut. Lots of people here have good advice/opinions and some stuck out more than others. Carrying around 25% or more B/F is pointless. I've always been tall and skinny, I spent years and years working out, 18-23 to be exact and out of all that I got to 175lbs and was only about 10-12% B/F at most, SKINNY as some would say. So even though I've only been at it again for a few months, my bulk has been a success and I've gained some mass although it's not all the kind of mass I wanted. So I'm going to cut down to about 15% then bulk again! I don't know how long this will take, but my workouts will be just (if not more) intense as they already are. I'll post some starting pics tonight when I get home, although nobody wants to see a fat skinny kid, this if for my records and motivation!

Food will be the same split, 50c 25f 25p (or at least .8 per lb) totals about 2500-2700 per day. This is the part that will suck the most, as it turns out, I love food...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
In for the cutting log!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude67
This is the part that will suck the most, as it turns out, I love food...

Don't we all </3
Post 2 IP   flag post
^^Haha, yes we do! And, I'm going to Vegas next week, no pressure!!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
VEGAS my dude! So amazing i been once.

Good luck on the cut my friend!
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet my dude. In for this! Give me some motivation to cut in 2-3 months!!! Haha. Get diced.
Post 5 IP   flag post
RDL form check...

Today was Legs Hyper:

Squats (DEEP): 145x12, 155x10, 165x8, 175x6
Leg curls: 45x12, 50x10, 55x8, 60x6
Leg extensions: same
RDLs: 135x12, 145x10, 155x8, 165x6
Calf raises: 275x10x4
Hip thrusters (thanks @FiremanSi) 45x10x3 feels a bit akward still
Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
Form looks solid to me. Hips are a little tight for some of them but not too noticeable. How's the energy with that much fat intake? I've been curious about playing with my fat ratio but I don't like having lethargic/cranky days
Post 8 IP   flag post
Time will tell how I feel, today's calls are 2388. I got surprised with home made enchiladas, that's why my fat is so high...
Post 9 IP   flag post
204.8 26% B/F this morning...
Post 10 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Cut,cut,cut, cut ,cut,cut,cut...

In for this fosho !!

U'll smash it bro.. patience and dedication.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Upper hyper today: (just kinda slappin these workouts together hoping to find a good combo to stick with)

Flat bench press: 145x12, 155x9, 165x4, 135x10
Incline bench press: 95x10, 105x8, 115x6, 125x4
Standing shoulder press: 65x12, 75x10, 85x8, 65x12
Incline DB flys: 20x12, 25x10x, 35x8x2
Standing DB rear delt pull? 20x12, 25x12x2 Nasty burn in traps and rear delts!
Sitting bent over rear delt DB flys: 15x12, 20x10, 25x8
Incline DB press: 35x10x4

Feel great with lower cals!? I thought I'd be dragg'n ass...Post nutrition later when I'm done eating...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Sweet my dude. In for this! Give me some motivation to cut in 2-3 months!!! Haha. Get diced.

2-3 months!
How long have u been bulking for, I must say your cut log is going to be pretty epic
Post 13 IP   flag post
You switch around weight a lot, almost seems like pyramid scheme, do you like that for hypertrophy?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Changed my split up a bit again, 40c 30p 30f let's see how that works, couldn't keep the other split right for sh!t...

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewy007
You switch around weight a lot, almost seems like pyramid scheme, do you like that for hypertrophy?

I don't really know a lot right now bro, I'm still learning and trying to find what works for me. Tryin to go with 12, 10, 8, 6 on Hyper days and either 8, 6, 4 OR 5, 3, 1 on Power days (on the main lifts), or something close to that anyway. My goal here is to get the weight right, so all I can do is the amount of reps I set, if that makes sense. I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do or not, but I can tell you that tonight's workout was a killer! I can tell I went just a bit heavy on flat bench because I wasn't able to do all the reps.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
@Thedude67 I have to be honest with you man. I don't think you're 25& bf. I mean I'm not next to you with a caliper or anything but 25% is usually very obvious to see, except in severely anorexic patients. But you are far from that. I'm curious as to who is taking your bf? I just don't think you're that high.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Xandar You might laugh, but my scale reads it...Last time I got it measured, it was dead on if you can believe that, so I just assume it's accurate. I carry my fat in my mid section and butt mostly, my upper body isn't nearly as fatty...
Post 18 IP   flag post
Xandar private msg quote post Address this user
@Thedude67 That may have been a coincidence about that measurement coinciding with the scale. I know I can't see all the fat storages on you via the vids you put up but dude 25% should be VERY noticeable. I just think 25 is very high for what I'm seeing, but I could be wrong. Anyway, after reading through your log I'm really rooting for ya. I know you're limited by the home gym but you're gettin it done. Good luck with the cut!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks bro. Here's some pics, as you can see, I've got some work to do!!

Post 20 IP   flag post
Ok some things i've noticed...
Ur cals are too low already.
Ur protein intake is also too low it's not even CLOSE to 1g/lb.
Crazy amounts of fibre.
Ur programs are irradic stop dickin around and i dont knoow if ur doing PHAT or not if u are then follow the program layne set out ur not experienced enough to design ur own.
Follow the rep ranges also.. doing 4reps on hyper day IS NOT HYPER.
Ur results WILL be limited if u keep chopping and changing until u FIND ONE U LIKE.
Pic a program and stick to it.. yeah u can swap chins for pulldowns or BOR's for seated rows... but not what ur doing.

Also i'd be cutting PAST 15% to AT LEAST 12%.. There ALOT of people out there that consider ur bdy has better ability to put on muscle at 6-10% mark sometimes even 12. If ur 15% and over u will gain more fat than muscle.
thats what happened to me.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude67
I carry my fat in my mid section and butt mostly, my upper body isn\'t nearly as fatty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewy007

It seems like that would be confusing in the long run. I tend to do pyramids/drop sets on days that I want to spend more time at the gym for fun, or like slump busters.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thanks for your feedback guys!

@FiremanSi I see what you're saying about the reps, you're right. I will read the PHAT article again, I guess I'm a bit intimidated by the program. What I mean is I'll need to supplement some of the workouts so I can do the program at home and I don't really know what to do. I'll read the article again and give specific references for what I'm talking about. Here's what I got available:

Bench w/leg accessories
squat rack
lat pulldown
olympic bar
curl bar
DB's from 5-50lbs missing the 40's and 45's though

And what do you suggest about my diet? I have a 3k daily maint. I thought 500 or so DEF is what I needed?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Lets talk about the important stuff first....

If u go straight into 500cal deficit... where u gonna go then when u INEVITABLY plateux and stop loosing weight.

Idea is..

Start at maintance from bulking cals.
After a week if u aren't loosing weight, u have 2 options add a cardio session of minimal 350cals burned or drop 50cals/day off ur total cals.

This is what i did... give ya an example,

maintenance x2weeks
dropped 100cals x2weeks
added 1 cardio x 1week
dropped 50cals x1-2weeks
dropped 50cals x1
dropped 50cals
added cardio
dropped 50cals...
SO ON SO FORTH.

When u drop the cals drop off ur carbs first... keep protein @1g/lb on bodyweight MINIMUM.
As ur weight drops THEN this is the only time u can remove the extra cals from ur protein.

Making sense.

U go balls to the wall -500 next thing ur at 2000cals and STARVING and looking like shit...

Patience is KEY here.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I understand what you're saying 100%. For this week, leading to my Vegas trip next Tues, I'm going to stay at 2500, then I'll do what you suggested because it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for your input man, always apperciated!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Anything i can do to help u let me know dude.
Post 26 IP   flag post
So I just took the article and put it into a spread sheet and read it again (I'm not the best reader). It makes a whole lot more sense now! I'm sure I can do this program, I'll start tomorrow with back/shoulders Hyper and so on...

I do need some suggestions on supplementing a couple of exercises though, these ones:

Hack squats?
Rack chins?
Dips?
Leg presses?
Seated leg curls?
Donkey calf raises?

All the other workouts he posts I understand and can work with, but I need alternatives to the ones listed above...
Post 27 IP   flag post
You can do Hack Squats with a barbell. Look up "Barbell Hacksquat" form videos.

Have anything to pull-up/chin-up with? You can get chin up bars that clip onto any door frame for like $25('Murican)

Dips - Push two heavy things of equal height together & dip, otherwise Close-grip bench press?

Leg-Press: Front squats or Lunges maybe

I'm at a loss for the last two.
Post 28 IP   flag post
For seated leg curls do ANY hamstring exercises...
SLDL's, RDL's, WIDE step lunges, good mornings.

Calves, find a level platform like a block of wood or a step and do standing calf raises.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm jump'n on the PHAT wagon, here's how tonight's workout will go:

Back/Shoulders Hyper:

Yates row: 6 sets of 3 reps with 105lbs (directly from the Phat program) -Supped from pendlay rows-

Wide grip pulldowns: 50lbs x12x3 -supped from chin racks-

Seated cable row: (will lay on my back should be the same movement)-slightly modified- 50lbs x12x3

DB rows: 50lbs x12x3

Close grip pulldowns: 50lbs x12x3

Seated DB press: 35lbs x12x3

Upright rows: 85lbs x12x3

Shoulder flys: 15lbs x12x3 -supped from side lateral raises-

This is just about word for word from the Phat program with just a couple of supps that should equal the same movement. This is obviously my first run at it, but I think the weights I've listed should be right on, expecting a killer workout tonight! I'm stoked!!

Also Layne mentions to be as explosive as possible with all exercises, this is something that will be new so I'm stoked to see how this plays out!
Post 30 IP   flag post
340614 56 30
destitute