Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingPHATSplit AdviceSquats

Modified PHAT routine for cutting critiques12403

tonytygaa private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I am 5'7 and about 170lbs right now. No visible abs but somewhat good foundation for lifting. Have been dirty bulking and I feel like it's time for me to lean down a bit. I want to maintain or even increase strength during this time. Have been doing an Upper Power, Lower Power (Squats 3 sets 3-5, followed by 3 sets 3-5 deadlifts)/off/Push/Pull/Leg. Have been skinny fat my entire life, and when I finally put on some size my belly managed to stick around. So my main concern is this gut and strength.

Been wanting to try PHAT. Monday power day with bench, OHP, and rows. Except on the Leg Day I would do 5 sets of 3-5 reps for squats and throwing in about 5 sets for singles. (Something that Layne did for strength). Instead of doing deadlift for power, I would do about 5-6 sets of 8-12 or do the speed work. Then on leg day 2, it would be emphasized on deadlift strength (5 sets 3-5 with 5 sets of singles in between the sets and backing off with 2 sets of 3-5. Then I would do speed work/hypertrophy for squats for 5 sets following that. The reason I want to try this is because squatting and deadlifting back to back on hypertrophy days destroys my lower back from last split so I wanted to switch it up. I also recently found out that my deadlifts tend to do a little better if I start them first on strength days as opposed to after squats on strength days so that could be a factor..

My second option would be to try RJ Perkin's PHD-4 workout

Link here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phd-4-rj-perkins-power-hyper-deload-training.html?page=2

I like his implemented Wendler style of training with PHAT so something cool to check out. It's rough to have to do squats after upper back training so I will have to play around a bit. And off days I will most likely do cardio and abs.

I want to start my macros at around
2900 cal
64 fat
399 carbs
181 protein and slowly work my way down.

Current lifts

Bench: 225
OHP: 135
Squat: 365
Deadlift: 355 (coming back from lower back injury)
Post 1 IP   flag post
bump
Post 2 IP   flag post
Outwork_08 private msg quote post Address this user
I used PHAT throughout my entire cut with great results. I've have some buddies that are currently using PHD-4 and they've all said it is pretty taxing so idk how it would fair on a calorie deficit but you could always try it and play with the volume
Post 3 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
I ran phat my entire last big cut and made strength gains. I know others have done the same on here too. You just have to be smart about how you're balancing your weight loss and not rush.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input. I have also considered doing a modified Wendler program. I have a day with Bench, Squat, OHP, deadlift. Considering I am a student, 5 days in the gym is kind of a hastle and I have to work too

Here's what I am looking at for my routine. Mainly strength lifts plus light assistance lifts

Bench Day:

HEAVY Bench Press 5 x 3-5
SOMEWHAT LIGHT Incline Barbell Bench Press 3 x 10
Heavy Dumbbell Row 5 x 15
Heavy Close Grip Tricep Extension 5 x 8-12

Squat day:
POWER HEAVY Squat 5 x 3-5
Set 1:
Set 2:
Singles 1:
Singles 2:
Singles 3:
Singles 4:
Singles 5:
Set 3:
Set 4:
Set 5:
Hypertrophy Squat 5 x 8-12
Leg Curl 5 x 8-12
Calves 5 x 8-12

Overhead press day with back and bicep assistance
Heavy OHP 5 x 3-5
Hypertrophy OHP 5 x 12
Bodyweight Pull ups 10 x 5
Bicep curls 5 x 8-12
Light Side Lateral Raises 5 x 8-12

Deadlift day

HEAVY DEADLIFTS 5 x 3-5

Set 1:

Set 2:

Singles 1:
Singles 2:
Singles 3:
Singles 4:
Singles 5:

Set 3:

Set 4:

Set 5:

Hypertrophy deadlifts 5 x 8-12
Hanging Leg Raises 5 x 8-15
Calves 5 x 8-12

Off days I will either run or do abs/stretching.
Post 5 IP   flag post
340762 5 5
destitute