Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
5 3 1Training Programs

Beyond 5/3/1 Program 1.112329

AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
Great read guys and I loved the original 5/3/1 program so I'm definitely trying this.
clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
supercharged04 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this the other day. Definitely on my list to try it in the near future.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
"Weighted vest 2 miles Tues/Thurs/Sat" - ain't nobody got time for that.

In all seriousness: (1) does this really help more than, say, a more traditional HIIT workout; (2) how heavy is it supposed to be?
Post 3 IP   flag post
The weighted vest I wouldn't bother with. Personally I'd do no cardio haha
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to check this out when I get home from work. Prolly wouldn't bother with the vest either, I usually get my cardio between the sheets
Post 5 IP   flag post
Im curious how effective that form of cardio is. I jog a few times a week. Helps clear my head. I also have old fat to remove.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@supercharged04 what you got supercharged?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Thedude67 2004 toyota tundra. Not a very creative name, but only thing I could come up with.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Haha, it's all good. I've got a supercharged Ion Redline, it's fun!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
As far as core and back strength weighted vests will help. By no means is it the only viable way, good mornings, RDLS, planks, rollouts, etc is just another means to an end. In my opinion at least.
Cardiovascular health is important in strength training, the more air you can take in the more area the weight will have to disperse which put simply makes the lifter stronger.
I read the article on Monday, I was rather unimpressed by the endorsements he made in the article but I am still a fan of Wendler! He isn't world renowned for being an idiot.
That article actually inspired me to go back to 3's where I personally have seen great results in the squat and deadlift as far as strength goes.
When I bench at high percentages my shoulders suffer so I prefer to work more in the 70-85% range.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Dukenhiemer Link to article you read please, I'm interested...
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Dukenhiemer I hate the endorsements as well, but he has to make $ where he can. I dont fault him for that.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged04
@Dukenhiemer I hate the endorsements as well, but he has to make $ where he can. I dont fault him for that.

Agreed! I would do the same in his position.
Post 13 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
@mikew The weighted vests I´m familiar with all have a maximum load of 30 kg (66 lbs)
Post 14 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @Arnoe

Good point @Dukenhiemer about cardiovascular health. Reminder that I need to do more cardio because I get winded too easily when doing squats or DLs in the 5-10 range. Lol, sad really.
Post 15 IP   flag post
rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
I read somewhere that if you can't squat nearly 2x your bodyweight you're still making rookie gains, you should do a simpler program that progresses quicker.

That's me right now anyways :P
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I was squatting near enough 160kg and deadlifting even more id be considered strong around my area. These rookie gains best come quick if what you read is valid
Post 17 IP   flag post
340762 17 17
destitute