Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Calorie CountingCalorie Counting AppsCarbsDiet AdviceMacros

A How To: Calculating YOUR Macros12308

Kansas___Boyyyyy private msg quote post Address this user
This is obviously out there on the web but a ton of people ask about macros on these forums and want things handed to them and apparently cant use google, so I decided to do a write up on my 50% carb diet. Made a video but I am tired as fuck, and i sound it in the video so i'll scrap it until tomorrow probably.

To Calculate your Macros you'll need to know your CALORIC MAINTENANCE aka How many calories your body needs to stay the exact same. I have tried a lot, and find this to be the best one. clickable text

Since I am doing the write up I'll use my stats. Age 27 6'6" 250 pounds, Workout 6 times a week, and have a physical job. It lists me at 4193 Calories daily to maintain where I am at right now. That means neither bulking adding mass or cutting shredding fat.

Now here is where the decisions are made based on what you're trying to do. You CANNOT gain mass and shred fat at the same time. So don't try. So, choose to lean bulk, which would mean you would add about 300 calories to start and tweak from there. OR if youre cutting take off about 200 calories to start from your CALORIC MAINTENANCE if you are wanting to cut. I am aware it gets much more intensive than this once you get more advanced but this is a beginner write up so let's not go there. I want to bulk so...

4200+300=4500 Calories needed daily to gain mass

1gram of protein = 4 Calories
1gram of Carbs = 4 Calories
1gram of Fat = 9 Calories

The body has been scientifically proven to gain no benefits from consuming over .8grams of protein/lb of body weight.
Again my stats: My bodyweight 250 x Daily Protein .8=200.0
So I need 200grams of protein daily. Check off 1 macro.

Since we know we want carbs at 50% of our calories we take the total 4500 and divide it by 2 and get 2250. We know a gram of carbs is 4 Calories so take the 50% total of the daily calories 2250 and divide that by 4. Comes out to 562.5 aka 563. Thats 2 Macros down.

Now we're going to take our calories left: 2250 Carb Calories + 800 Protein Calories = 3050 Calories Used. So 4500-3050=1450. So we have 1450 Calories for fat. Again 1 gram of fat is 9 calories so 1450 / 9 = 161.1 repeating aka 161

And now we have our Macros for Bulking...for me.
Carbs: 563grams
Protein: 200grams
Fats: 161 grams

The Formulas without my numbers:
To Calculate Protein: (Bodyweight x .8(or 1) = Daily grams of Protein) x 4 = Daily Calories of Proteins

To Calculate Carbs: (Daily Calories Needed / 2 = Half your calories) Half your calories / 4 = Daily grams of Carbs

To Calculate Fat: (Daily Calories of Protein + Daily Calories of Carbs= Daily Calories Used) , (Daily Calories Needed - Daily Calories Used) = Daily Calories of Fat , (Daily Calories of Fat / 9) = Daily Grams of Fat

So there you go spoonfed macros right here on good ole simply shredded. If anything needs to be changed let me know
Post 1 IP   flag post
TyrannosaurusFlex private msg quote post Address this user
Great guide dude! I'd suggest adding a paragraph about the benefits of gradually increasing/decreasing your intake when starting to bulk/cut. Otherwise I think you pretty much covered it.

PS. Mods, sticky this so we don't have 10 newbies a day asking how to calculate their macros.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah i like this, will save alot of time, should be stickied under the motivational thread!
Post 3 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
There you is! Was wondering where you went and come back with an epic post!
Post 4 IP   flag post
oh i've been lurking sir. Arnoe, are you referring to if you arent gaining/cutting to the extent you'd like? Or are you referring to the initial calorie jump?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
@Kansas___Boyyyyy Great reference sir! I do have questions though, anything above .8g per lb, what does your body do with it? And, why do all these bodybuilders eat 2-3-4lbs of meat per day (Kai Green for 1) if the body can't handle all that protein? Also, I've read carbs and fats provide a lot of the energy you use while working out, recent post I think by somebody, but your muscles are built from Protein, right? Do carbs and fats help build muscle? I know I could easily just google it, but since you have a thread about nutrition I thought I mise well just ask here.

And BTW, you're 250lbs?? How tall are you?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll scan the forums for eknights post on the studies that show its a waste then edit. Haha I listed my stats in that post a couple times, but I'm 6'6"
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
^^Haha, see that now, I just skimmed to begin with...
Post 8 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
Sticky this
Post 9 IP   flag post
Here's the link to a study on protein formerly posted on SS
clickable text
Post 10 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Yea should def be a sticky so we could use it as reference instead of typing it out every time somebody asks this question. Well done
Post 11 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
Should PHAT be categorized under moderate exercise 3-5 days a week or 6-7 considering it's volume? It's a 300 calorie difference between the two so I wanna be safe don't want to screw up my macros.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Corkey private msg quote post Address this user
I recall watching one of Layne Norton's video logs where he states your body can absorb as much protein as you give it (ie. not a limited amount per meal) but the absorbed protein that is used depends on each individual, i cant remember what
that variable is though :/

@Kansas___Boyyyyy how would you go about this while tryna cut carbs a little while cutting?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey
I recall watching one of Layne Norton's video logs where he states your body can absorb as much protein as you give it (ie. not a limited amount per meal) but the absorbed protein that is used depends on each individual, i cant remember what

@Kansas___Boyyyyy how would you go about this while tryna cut carbs a little while cutting?

Why would you need to specifically lower carbs? Why not lower your calories and adjust macros to suit your new calorie deficit?
Post 14 IP   flag post
adam82a private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev182
Quote:

Why would you need to specifically lower carbs? Why not lower your calories and adjust macros to suit your new calorie deficit?

Because you need a sufficient amount of proteins while cutting and lowering them below the magic 0.8-1g per lbs threshold may increase the amoutn of muscle lost while cutting.
Post 15 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Great work buddy.
Good to hear from u u should post more often with this SOLID advice.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You kinda want to keep your protein high to reduce catabolism while cutting
Post 17 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
my protein is 375g, carbs 112g and fats 20g :o
Post 18 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You kinda want to keep your protein high to reduce catabolism while cutting

I can't imagine a scenario in which you would need to cut carbs lower to preserve "enough" protein, unless you aren't getting enough total kcals to begin with. The math doesn't work out. Say a 165 pound male is cutting at 2000 kcals (accurate for his height, age, etc.) If he's getting .9 gram protein/pound bw, that's 29.7% of his kcals from protein. If you up it to 1.0 grams/pound, that is only 33%- getting more protein than you need. There's no need to further increase protein or decrease carbs if you're natural. -3X
Post 19 IP   flag post
@eknightthanks for clearing that up. the only time then would obviously be on a keto diet?
Post 20 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@eknightthanks for clearing that up. the only time then would obviously be on a keto diet?

Why would you do a Keto Diet in the first place?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Post 22 IP   flag post
@NorIdaive heard mixed opinions about it. wouldnt say i'm going to but tryna find out some facts bro.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Frostshock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoe
PS. Mods, sticky this so we don\'t have 10 newbies a day asking how to calculate their macros.

I must link this post like 4 times a week
Post 24 IP   flag post
Woodp27 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I calculated all this correctly

230 pounds active male: The math comes out as such:

3308 rounded to 3300 calories I'm trying to cut so I subtracted 200 making the total 3100.

Carbs 387
Protein 184
Fats 84

If this is right. I'm gonna live by it for 2 weeks. Any other suggestions I gladly welcome
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Woodp27 Personally i'd go for more like 1g/lb i know u've calculated for 0.8 but i find dieting better with slightly more protein and little less carbs than u have here. Plus it's easier to get in some good protein.
Also remember to try hit ur Fibre goals 12-15g/1000cals.. u'll need more and more veg the furher the diet goes on for you as it helps u to keep that full feeling.
I.e. spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers... all great for large volume low calories.
Then in terms of fruits u got ALL BERRIES.. especally strawberries.. all high in fibre and great.. also ii found pineapple slices were great for low cal large volume.
Post 26 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
great write up bro
Post 27 IP   flag post
340762 27 27
destitute