Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ArmsTraining Programs

Why is a bicep accessory necessary?12295

rememberthis private msg quote post Address this user
To put it in context, I'm doing PHD-4.

Today was strength day and:

My buddy asked me today "why do a bicep accessory?" What main exercise is it helping?

Truthfully, I have no clue. I guess a pull.

For my main exercises I just squat, deadlift, bench, and military press. But it's kinda hard to pull of an explanation saying it helps my dead lifts.

Can anyone comment on this?

I do a back accessory with pull ups -- should that be enough bicep?
Post 1 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
got to have big arms man.

Just tell them that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest a few things didn't make sense to me so I modified it.

This cycle im ditching the military press after finding out its not good on the shoulders, Switching it to joe defrancos shoulder shocker. Not sure if this will work but I like to experiment.

I also put in a 5/3/1 Bench BB row to try and get the 2:1 upper back to chest ratio.
Post 3 IP   flag post
sriram private msg quote post Address this user
Do underhand pull-ups, close-grip pull-ups, or underhand bent-over rows. You'll feel it, among other muscles, in the bicep.

Inb4 how-to-train-3-heads-of-bicep
Post 4 IP   flag post
lmao@3 heads

@cassious I've done two months of military press, I'm ready for a different exercise. However, I looked up the shoulder shocker and it seems like a hypertophy exercise. I think I might be looking at the wrong exercise. Link me what you're talking about plz

@sriram I'm going to incorporate the underhand pull pups, thanks
Post 5 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
i couldnt imagine not training biceps...do weighted chin ups...and straight bar curls..
Post 6 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
@Rememberthis Yeah it does seem like a hypertrophy exercise. Whats a good power deltoid exercise that isnt a press though?

Post 7 IP   flag post
OptimusPrime private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberthis
My buddy asked me today \"why do a bicep accessory?\" What main exercise is it helping?

Truthfully, I have no clue. I guess a pull.

Sadly a majority of gym goers percieve accessory work to have a BB'ing or aesthetic kick-back thus fail to see the link to other movements. Not saying it applies to you OP, just my general observation.

My case in point, training the bicep, with more emphasis on the Brachialis (Hammer Curls, Pronated Curls etc) will also act as an accessory to the Bench Press; as the brachialis acts as a stabiliser, esp. during the isometric phase (lock-out).

Hope that helps.
Post 8 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@OptimusPrime beat me to it
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime

Sadly a majority of gym goers percieve accessory work to have a BB'ing or aesthetic kick-back thus fail to see the link to other movements. Not saying it applies to you OP, just my general observation.

My case in point, training the bicep, with more emphasis on the Brachialis (Hammer Curls, Pronated Curls etc) will also act as an accessory to the Bench Press; as the brachialis acts as a stabiliser, esp. during the isometric phase (lock-out).

Hope that helps.
Awesome insight! Thanks for this.

@cassious seriously, no clue. And after watching ek's vid on shoulder danger, I'm even more unmotivated haha. I think I'll stick with variations of the military press, switching it up by sitting down, doing it behind, etc.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
The main purpose of the biceps is to flex the elbow, BUT they're also a shoulder flexor, so think of it in terms of what @OptimusPrime said- eccentrically, they're important for many pulling movements in stabilizing the shoulder. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
I train biceps 2-3x a week
Post 12 IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
It's a good idea strengthening them so you dont injure them. Also, barbell curls hits forearms nicely which is good for same reason + bench and DL. Lastly, if you only get really really strong in OHP, DL squat and bench you will still lose in armwrestling vs untrained people. True story.
Post 13 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I just think its fun and I always admired big arms so I make sure to give bis and tris adequate attention. I don't think they would respond as well without isolating, but I've never had a rountine that didn't incorporate arm isolations.
Post 14 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Arms and back are the most fun to train.
Post 15 IP   flag post
340738 15 15
destitute