Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Push Pull LegsTraining Programs

PPL Routine help12240

zacharyc private msg quote post Address this user
Since I started training about 4/5 years ago, I started with a full body routine for the first year and I am now on your typical standard one muscle a day split. I would like to know more about PPL cause I think I will benefit more from the frequency of it rather than the volume of the split I'm doing now. I have made big gains with my split so would like to know why you lot prefer PPL over it and what's a typical PPL routine cause I can't find a basic one as I'm not sure how many sets or exercises per muscle I need to include each day and what particular types of exercises.
Appreciate your help x
Post 1 IP   flag post
Rawsteel private msg quote post Address this user
These are the 3 most common ways of doing it ->

3-1-3, every muscle gets hit every 4th day.
Not something i recommend someone who hasnt been in the gym for a couple of years, one should know their body before lifting weights 6 days a week imo.

D1 - Push
D2 - Lower
D3 - Pull
D4
D5 - Repeat

2-1-2, every muscle gets hit every 4th and 5th day in cycles.

D1 - Push
D2 - Lower
D3
D4 - Pull
D5 - Push
D6
D7 - Lower
And so on

And my favorite where every muscle gets hit every 5th day.

D1 - Pull
D2
D3 - Lower
D4 - Push
D5
D6 - Repeat

The last 6 months i have been sticking to the one above but slighly modified to add more focus to my arms and it looks like this ->

D1 - Back, triceps
D2
D3 - Lower
D4 - Chest, delts, biceps
D5
D6 - Repeat

How the workouts usually looks when it comes to volume ->

Push
Flat chest press: 3 sets
OH press: 3 sets
Incline chest press: 2-3 sets
Flyes: 1-2 sets
Side laterals: 3-4 sets
Triceps extension: 3 sets
Pushdowns: 2 sets

Pull
BB row: 3 sets
Lat pulldowns: 3 sets
DB row: 2 sets
Rear delts: 3-4 sets
Shrugs: 3-4 sets
BB curl: 4-5 sets

Lower
Squat: 3-4 sets
Leg extension or legpress: 3-4 sets
RDL: 3 sets
Leg curl: 2-3 sets
Abs: 4-6 sets
Calves: 4-6 sets

So around 6-8 sets for bigger muscles and 4-6 for smaller ones with the most of them taken to 1 rep shy of failure.
It's also pretty common to use heavier weights and lower reps (1-8) in the first and bigger movements like bench, squat, rdl etc and then lighter in the seupplement exercises (8-15).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cheers for your answer man. I think I know my body pretty well so I am going to do the first one. PPLa rest PPLb etc. And I think I'm going to do 4 sets on most things keeping the reps mostly between 8-12. I may do 4-6 reps on some of the compound lifts you suggested on the PPLb part of the week just to mix things up and prob change a few exercises so I get a good variation throughout the week. Will alter if I'm struggling to recover. Started it yday with push.
4 sets seated machine press
4 sets weighted dips
4 sets incline dumbbell flyes
4 sets dumbbell lateral raised
4 sets tricep push down
4 sets skull crushers
Pull tonight.
4 sets deadlift
4 sets lat pull down
4 sets overhand barbell row
4 sets rear delt flyes
4 sets standing barbell curl
4 sets seated incline dumbbell curl
Looking forward to the results. Cheers
Post 3 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@Rawsteel gave you solid advice
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@zacharyc not a fan of your set up. The purpose of a PPL routine is to create strength in the major muscle groups. It's not a true hypertrophy routine, so the arm work doesn't really fit. You also have too much "push" and too little "pull." There are so many templates online, why not just run one that's been established instead of reinventing the wheel? -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight I have tried to look around for a template but couldn't find one that I liked that's why I asked for a typical one here as I'm not sure what to include in terms of sets, reps and exercises. Ones I have seen are all different so I couldn't make my mind up and I am really limited in terms with what I do for Chest and shoulders as I have a strained rotator cuff so that's why I have to reinvent it a little. From my understanding when Matt Ogus ran PPL he would do all reps in the hyper trophy range of 8-12. But like I said on the particular compound lifts where I can go heavy I will incorporate heavier weight an lower reps for strength. My main aim is size over strength. I agree with you about the ratio of pulling movement against my push. What do you advise? Baring in mind I was thinking about doing more rowing movements in my PPLb part of the week and would take out incline flyes for chest for a shoulder exercise.
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I advise not running anything until your rotator cuff is healed. What did you do to injure it? Did you see a doctor or physical therapist?

When you do run something, for every set of pressing movements, I advise 2 sets of pulling in the same plane (ie, lat pulls are not adequate as antagonists for chest pressing movements; they're antagonists to overhead presses). -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
You're prob gonna think I'm stupid but I injured my rotator cuff over 18 months ago. I did nothing about it. Trained through it with the hope it would go away. It didn't. So I took a couple of weeks off came back to train. Still hadn't gone so again I trained through it and now I just do exercises where my shoulder doesn't hurt. Can't incline or flat bench and can't over head press unless palms are facing in. It has it's good days and bad days where I have actually flat benched about a month ago but then the pain flared up again. I finally have a physio therapy session tomo you'll be happy to know but the truth is I am just stubborn and didn't wanna miss time from the gym. And I've now kinda given up that's it's never gonna heal but I will say what happens tomo. I remember it going when I was doing incline bench (weight was prob too heavy, straining to get it up so form was terrible) but they say rotator cuff problems happen way earlier that was prob just the straw that broke the camels back if you like.
For PPL then, if I were to do 2 sets of pull for every 1 set of push don't you think that would be too much volume for the week for my back?@eknight
Post 8 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
No. The reason you have a rotator cuff issue is because you didn't do enough back work to start with. The ratio I quoted you is what physical therapists recommend to avoid the issues you're having now. -3X
Post 9 IP   flag post
@eknight you are 100% right. When I was doing a full body workout. Didn't do a single row. Just LPDs for back and would always do an extra exercise for chest. Naive beginner. What do you advise I do now then if anything?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
See what your physio says. If it's not a tear, it can be rehabbed and he/she will help you with that.

The biggest change you'll need to make in your approach is to start training for functional usage and realize improvements is hypertrophy will result from that kind of training instead of the other way around.

Good luck. I'm coming off an injury myself, so I feel for you. -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
@eknight ahh appreciate your help man as always! Doctor said he thinks it's a strain not a tear as I have full mobility in my shoulder when I went to get referred to a physio.
Might not post a lot in here but have seen your injury. Looks nasty man but all the best with your recovery. Cheers again
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Right back atcha! -3X
Post 13 IP   flag post
340614 13 13
destitute