Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

Interested in PHAT but limited on days...12087

slowurroll private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,
So I am interested in running PHAT soon after a recommendation to switch to an Upper/Lower split since I'm newer to lifting. I reviewed most of the program and really like it. However, I am only able to lift on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday currently cause of classes. I noticed that program runs 5 days a week. Is there any recommendations to restructure it a bit so I can use relatively the same program yet fit it to my time constraints? Or is there another split that will fit better. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Mikemadeofpeace private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm maybe you could do a full body power day on the Thursday and then go into the 3 day hypertrophy split on Sunday Monday and Tuesday.
Post 2 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Phul. Power hypertrophy upper lower. So you could do upper power Sunday, lower hypo Monday, upper hypo Tuesday and then lower power Thursday. It'd be much better if you didn't have to lift 3 days in a row, but if your stuck on those days then that's how I might do it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannowman
Phul. Power hypertrophy upper lower. So you could do upper power Sunday, lower hypo Monday, upper hypo Tuesday and then lower power Thursday. It'd be much better if you didn't have to lift 3 days in a row, but if your stuck on those days then that's how I might do it.

PHUL FTW
Post 4 IP   flag post
Ya I wish I didn't have to lift 3 days in a row. I would prefer a day in between. But between working full time, school full time, and being a single parent full time, I'm pretty limited right now. I haven't heard of PHUL. I'll have to look into it. Got any more info on it?
Post 5 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
It's phat, but 4 days, you don't split the hypertrophy days up so much.
So run power days as layne subscribes, substituting exercises or order so long as you stay heavy and compound. Then on hypo days, do your speed work sets and then do all your upper body in hypo ranges and same with lower body.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Awesome. Thank you so much. I'll get my routine planned out then. I like what I see about PHUL from a google search. I'm gonna have to give it a try.
Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
U sound like ur only begginning... if i'm correct in saying this then PHAT is too advanced for u it's for intermediate to advanced lifters.. not for beginnner.
I'd after upper/lower split which i sugget u maintain for awhile and get the best of. I'd try Push/Pull/Legs split before i would even CONSIDER touching PHAT.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi I appreciate the feedback man but in a previous thread you told me I should move to a upper/lower split from PPL cause I'm newer to lifting. (been lifting for 8 months) I am open to suggestions for a good upper/lower split but after doing a search PHAT is all I found. Maybe I didn't search long enough or thorough enough.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
U sound like ur only begginning... if i'm correct in saying this then PHAT is too advanced for u it's for intermediate to advanced lifters.. not for beginnner.
I'd after upper/lower split which i sugget u maintain for awhile and get the best of. I'd try Push/Pull/Legs split before i would even CONSIDER touching PHAT.

Whats the difference in doing an Upper Lower split, 3-4 times a week, than doing PHAT or PHUL?

We're not talking about some ridiculous volume routine like Sheiko. Phat isn't super advanced by any means, If they want to do it, let them. its not gonna kill them IMO
Post 10 IP   flag post
I am Genuinely curious, not trying to start a flaming war!
Post 11 IP   flag post
simply_michael private msg quote post Address this user
I would actually like to know what others think to . for what its worth
Post 12 IP   flag post
I like the structure of PHUL based on principle behind it and that it can be fitted to my schedule. So I really appreciate the suggestion. I'm open for more of course. But if there are reasons I shouldn't use PHAT or PHUL then I'd like to hear them.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowurroll
@FiremanSi I appreciate the feedback man but in a previous thread you told me I should move to a upper/lower split from PPL cause I'm newer to lifting. (been lifting for 8 months) I am open to suggestions for a good upper/lower split but after doing a search PHAT is all I found. Maybe I didn't search long enough or thorough enough.

If i told u that already well then wha the hell u comin on looking for advice on other programs for then.. either take the advice or don't mate.
Stop looking down the line... get to the gym and start ur current program.. learn and lift and then when u've completely exhausted this come back for more advice.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Quote:

Whats the difference in doing an Upper Lower split, 3-4 times a week, than doing PHAT or PHUL?

We're not talking about some ridiculous volume routine like Sheiko. Phat isn't super advanced by any means, If they want to do it, let them. its not gonna kill them IMO

Thats all well and good but these beginners dont know the differnce between lifting for strength and lifting for hypertrophy, let alone what to do and how to carry out speed sets.
Guys like @op should take adantage of full body, then upper/lower splits while their in the newbie gains mode.

There's loads of different exercises in PHAT as apposed to and upper/lower split.. they need to focus on the lather with less exercises to learn HOW TO LIFT, form, technique, what muscle are being used while conducting these exercises... Flood them with loads to do and loads to learn and nothing will be right. Everything will be sloppy as hell terrible form and all they'll be focusing on is whats next.. next step injury.
PHAT is compiled with bench, bent over row, squats, deads.. the likes of these exercises take a long time to master how to do them correctly... thats why their not for BEGINNERS. I remember i jumped in deads too early not knowing WHAT the hell i was doing and fucked up my back... i wish someone told me put the thing down and try something else or a step by step of how to lift for that exercises.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Gougher private msg quote post Address this user
I would either stick with a full body workout 3 days a week. You can use the 4th day as a interval day/mobility/rehab/stretching day. You can still use 3 different rep schemes, like day1: 6reps. Day2: 10reps. Day 3 15 reps.

Or just do as suggested with the upper/lower with power days and hypertrophy days.

8 months of training is not that much tbh, and I wish someone adviced me to do full body or upper/lower at that time.

But the most important thing is: DO what you think is fun. In the end, that's what's getting you into the gym and make you do the work
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Quote:

Thats all well and good but these beginners dont know the differnce between lifting for strength and lifting for hypertrophy, let alone what to do and how to carry out speed sets.
Guys like @op should take adantage of full body, then upper/lower splits while their in the newbie gains mode.

There's loads of different exercises in PHAT as apposed to and upper/lower split.. they need to focus on the lather with less exercises to learn HOW TO LIFT, form, technique, what muscle are being used while conducting these exercises... Flood them with loads to do and loads to learn and nothing will be right. Everything will be sloppy as hell terrible form and all they'll be focusing on is whats next.. next step injury.
PHAT is compiled with bench, bent over row, squats, deads.. the likes of these exercises take a long time to master how to do them correctly... thats why their not for BEGINNERS. I remember i jumped in deads too early not knowing WHAT the hell i was doing and fucked up my back... i wish someone told me put the thing down and try something else or a step by step of how to lift for that exercises.

Touché.

Very well put. I honestly didn't even think of it that way. I was simply thinking of volume, and not the phisiological processes we have to do while we lift.

I completely agree with your stance
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
If i told u that already well then wha the hell u comin on looking for advice on other programs for then.. either take the advice or don't mate.
Stop looking down the line... get to the gym and start ur current program.. learn and lift and then when u've completely exhausted this come back for more advice.

The reason I asked about PHAT is like I stated, I was looking for an upper/lower split and it kept coming up in numerous posts. And I liked the split. I do think it is a little more advanced than what I was looking for which is why I asked for suggestions. There wasn't a whole lot to be found. I don't really like putting together my own routines cause of my newness. So when I do searches and that's what comes up, naturally I would be looking into it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@NorIda Thanks man because i'm currently doing it helped with my answer on that one dude.

@slowurroll Upper lower split

Upper day Option
Incline DB Press
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
Dips
OH Bent Over Row
Seated DB Shoulder Press
**4sets of Each 10-12reps

Lower Body Option

BB Squats
Leg Press
DB Lunges