Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieProgress UpdateSquatsTraining LogTraining Programs

Week 1 of StrongLifts 5x5 Completed11915

TimetoChange private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished the first week of stronglifts 5x5 program and have enojoyed it thus far.

My only issue with the program is that for squats ( I'm new to doing them) I stretch like crazy before and after but during the exercise there is a terrible pain in both my hamstrings. I also don't do much weight either. Any ideas?

Current lifts for SS ending week 1

Bench press - 160Lbs x5
Deadlifts- 225Lbs x5
Overhead press- 95Lbs x5
Squats- 145Lbs?x5
Barbell row- 105Lbs x5

These stats are for a very new gym go'er, so be easy on me

Height 6'3
Weight 225
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I don't stretch my legs too much beforehand -- except for my hip flexors. I try to stretch out afterward, however.

Is the pain so bad you can't walk? Does it last for a while? If you are new to squats it might take a lil bit for your body to adapt. That's probably the issue.
Post 2 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah squatting twice a week is hard at the beginning. Dont stretch before, only in a ballistic manner, except if you really want to improve neuromotor patterns and try reaching for an extreme range of motion. Try warming up a little bit more maybe, and try foam rollers too. And post a video of your squat form.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Alright, thanks for the advice. I am new to the gym but especially new to squats. So, a lot of it is probably just is just a shock to those muscles as they haven't been worked out like this before.

Has anyone tried this paticular program before? If so, did you see vast improvements with your lifts?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoChange
Alright, thanks for the advice. I am new to the gym but especially new to squats. So, a lot of it is probably just is just a shock to those muscles as they haven't been worked out like this before.

Has anyone tried this paticular program before? If so, did you see vast improvements with your lifts?

I've put a few of my clients on StrongLift 5x5 and they had really great results on it. But when they hit a plateau they were demotivated with the deload. I think GreySkull LP is a better option in term of motivation and it looks a LOT like stronglift

The point is, when you deload in GreySkull you still do AMRAP on the last set, so you still beat old PR's.

Here is a variant I like to give

Post 5 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@flexdec very cool program. Gotta say it though --- almost seems too simple. Ha ha ha.

Love the acronym AMRAP, had not heard that before.
Post 6 IP   flag post
haha yeah i use it as a template normally and add in some auxiliary work depending on the goals

I'm doing it myself for the moment, but I added curls/dips/calves/rear delts/leg curls and shrugs
Post 7 IP   flag post
@flexdec that program looks very similar to SS as well. I like the concept of the two programs. So I will stay on SL for 10-12 weeks and see how much I can increase my lifts. I'm not expecting to become some monster off this program, I am merely doing it to build a solid base and be able to handle a more intense load after this stint.

I love this site for such quick feedback!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Also, along with this program I am incorporating ice hockey two times a week. ( Feels nice after squats....)
Post 9 IP   flag post
hahaha this is a really good idea to stick to your program!
hockey after squats = lol
Post 10 IP   flag post
skel1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I did starting strength my first few months. Pretty much the same program except SL has more volume. Amnyways squatting 3x week does suck especially when i couldnt even walk right for a week because my body was totally not use to it. I took 2 months off(did hypetrophy split routine instead) and am back to it now. Much better now that my legs are accustomed to squatting 3x week.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Finished up the 3rd week and my lifts are continually increasing. Today, however, I felt weaker and it showed.

Bench press today was 190 @ 5 reps x3
190 @ 4 reps x2 (Could have got the last ones up but had no spot)

Rows 130 5x5
Squats 190 5x5
Overhead press 120 5x5
Deadlifts 255 5x5 (have a video of doing 225 will upload soon and ask for advice on form- was conscious of camera and likely had worse form than normal)
Post 12 IP   flag post
340624 12 12
destitute