Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Female FitnessMacrosNewbieTraining Programs

Trying to Get It All Together11475

mrsherring85 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm new to following (or trying to) a stringent nutrition/fitness regimen. With being 27, 5'3, 150lbs, 30% BF (approximately, not sure I'm working the accu-measure caliper accurately) and married to a VERY active Army SSG, I've got to get this crap figured out. I have my diet dialed in to 1500 calories per day at 40-40-20. However, I have little to no exercise a day other than taking care of a 3.5y/o and 10m/o. I NEED to include some exercise in there, but I am limited to working out at home.

1.) Any seasoned pros out there have any diet advice?
2.) Being limited to working out at home (with a very minimal budget for acquiring equipment), how should I proceed?
3.) Any recommendations workouts? I'd love to try the Ultimate Female Training guide, but due to #2, I don't see that happening.
4.) What equipment do you recommend as necessary for a successful at home training program.
5.) Any other advice or guidance?

I know the newbie threads get old, and I apologize for the redundancy, but I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.
Post 1 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome Mrs. Herring.

First things first, what are your goals? Have to have a goal before you can create a plan.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for the reply SwoleAnimal.

My goal is the Dynamic Duo: lose body fat/ gain lean muscle mass. Or worst case scenario, lose body fat/ maintain current lean muscle mass.
Post 3 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsherring85
Or worst case scenario, lose body fat/ maintain current lean muscle mass

The "worst case scenario" that you provided, is the only scenario that you're going to succeed in. it is nearly impossible to gain muscle and lose fat in the same time period, they're two bodily functions that contradict one another.

I would highly recommend trying to get a gym membership, or utilizing a gym on base if possible if you truly want results. IMO it is difficult to do a meaningful workout at home if you can't get the proper equipment.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Norlda: I realize that you cannot accomplish both at the same time, due to one requiring a caloric deficit and one requiring a caloric surplus. One needs to be accomplished before the other. However, in the long run, that is my ultimate goal.

We are not near a military installation and going to a gym is out of the question at this point in time. That is why #4 asks what equipment you would suggest as essential for a successful at home training program.
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
How much money are you willing to invest in equipment?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Trying to be as thrifty as possible, once I establish a list of essential equipment, I will shop craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. So I cannot give you a dollar amount. I am interested in investing in the equipment, so please don't take this as just half-assing or unwillingness; I just don't want to say I'm willing to drop a grand if I find I can get the needed items for $325.
Post 7 IP   flag post
fLx_ private msg quote post Address this user
get a squat rack, a bar and some weights= PROFIT
Post 8 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
I have this squat rack from Amazon. It's currently unavailable but the guy builds them and then puts it back for sale. It was $99 and the quality is very good. Here is the link clickable text
Post 9 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
adjustable squat rack, adjustable bench, olympic bar and weight plates is all you need
Post 10 IP   flag post
AprilR private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Mrs Herring,

Based on your goals and the fact that you are just starting out I personally don't think it is even necessary to start buying expensive equipment yet. You can do a decent home workout with limited equipment - I would invest in some lightish dumbells in the 1kg - 10kg range and maybe some resistance bands and a gym ball. You will find loads of workouts that can target every muscle group with just this equipment from doing a quick google search. I like doing circuit training if I'm doing a workout at home or when I'm on the move. Doing a basic weight training regime alongside some HIIT e.g. Skipping, burpees or what ever suits you will be a good starting point to lose some body fat.

Eventually you will have to start moving past these weights and exercises and you will continually need to change your routine and increase the weight you are using if you want to see results but speaking from experience it is best start quite slowly to build up your muscle groups as it will support you in the long run to keep pushing yourself and help you to avoid injury.

It sounds like you have your diet in check so keep that up! Good luck
Post 11 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
I say as the other said, power rack, barbell and some weights. maybe a bench. all you need for the whole body
Post 12 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
you guys.. lol

she is a mother that lives at home with 2 children, how in the fuck do you figure she is going to get a squat rack ,a bench, olympic bar and plates to her house while her husband is in the army???

or for that matter if she doesnt work out , be able to lift any of that shit or set it up herself while caring for 2 children??

ill make an in-depth post on a budget of $150-200 you can get from your local wal-mart and some books from coles and help you out in a bit Mrs. herring
Post 13 IP   flag post
not to mention all of those things would cost $1,000+
Post 14 IP   flag post
Pearce_Bolton private msg quote post Address this user
Why not just buy a barbell and bench and free weight it out?
Post 15 IP   flag post
In my opinion..

You should buy a yoga mat, 5lb-15lb dumbbells, 10-12lb medicine ball, skipping rope, bosu ball (half balance ball), full bosu ball, 15-20lb kettlebell, ankle weights and once you can afford it either a treadmill, recumbent, or elliptical.

You should set up "circuits" where you would go from an upper body exercise to a lower body exercise and then something where you are fast on your feet like (running on the spot, alternating lunge jumps etc).

pick 5-10 exercises, 10 reps each and take 45sec between full circuits !
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you all for your input; the1, you are spot on though! All of those things, new, are definitely out of my budget. Your equipment however is much more manageable!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Buy women's fitness magazines. Oxygen magazines and booksfrom Coles !
Post 18 IP   flag post
340750 18 18
destitute