Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Cut or BulkTraining Programs

Bulk or cut?11467

Moxed private msg quote post Address this user
Hey ya guys, im new to this forum so i apologize if this is in the wrong place or whatever.
But pre much last year i suffered a injury which put me out of the gym for about 8 months and now all my gains wasted away.
Im 178cm (5'8) And 79.9kg (176 lbs)

I joined a new gym about a week or two ago. But I wanted some opinions on weather I should start bulking again or start to cut?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers
Post 1 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
im in the middle of a cut, cutting right down so ive got a good base to start a slow lean bulk! Thats just me though!
Post 2 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
i would just bulk so that when you do cut, you will have a solid foundation and it will encourage you to see that lean mass that you've aquired... wheras if you cut now, you wont really have much muscle and will have to basically start from scratch...and you wont be able to lift as much
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cool cool, bulk it is. Thanks fellas
Post 4 IP   flag post
cool, stick around. theres lots of good advice and info on here and the fellas are always glad to help out!
welcome to SS!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yeah man Im here to stay fo sure. Alot friendlier than bodybuilding.com haha. Not hatin.
Cheers
Post 6 IP   flag post
haha, BB.com is a joke, this forum has way more reliable information as opposed to bb.com which is 90% bro-science. we focus more on actual scientific/clinical studies mostly provided by @eknight haha
so what are your goals? are you into bodybuilding? powerlifting? sports specific training?
also, if you're sticking around, get a quick profile pic before everyone harrasses you about not having one haha, we tend to take ppl more seriously when we can put a face to the name :P
Post 7 IP   flag post
yeah it is a big joke. I started with the goal of body building hoping to hit the 90kg mark, shouldn't be too hard when I injured myself I was about 88-89kg so its racking back up pretty fast. And id like to keep going
Post 8 IP   flag post
cool, we got some pretty impressive bodybuilders on here, check out @the1, @chriselkins ect. cool dudes with loads of experiance and advice to give
Post 9 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
I start bulking when i had too much BF and i WISH someone told me to cut down first.
So i'd suggest a cut for sure.. Bout 2months see how that goes.. then bulk bro.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Hiiibbbb private msg quote post Address this user
It depends... Its really a tricky situation. If you cut now youll have barely any muscle tone but youll look better and wont have to worry about fat. If you can tough it out and bulk this would be the quickest way to get the body you want. That way you will just be doin a regular bulk then cut instead of cut bulk cut.

Personally id cut some first but not much then start bulking till spring
Post 11 IP   flag post
Looks like ill go with a bulk. I live in NZ so its just going on spring here haha, and im a Scuba diving instructor "in training" so im constantly topless haha.
Ill bulk for a few months then cut down in summer.

Cheers Guys
Post 12 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
I'd most definitely cut, no offence; follow a strength program such as Jim wendlers 5/3/1 to keep your strength or even gain strength while cutting (I'm cutting and gaining loads of strength). Sure you'll be skinny for a while but then you can lean bulk. The time it will take you to put on some decent lean muscle mass you will gain some extra fat so in the end you will be cutting for longer overall if you choose to bulk now
Post 13 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Bro. Bulk for sure.... You're just getting back into the gym and you will have newbie gains all over again. Take advantage of that shit and shoot for a .25-.5lb weight gain per week... Your body composition will change nicely with you just getting back in there... Keep at it bud. you're on the right track.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarronStenner
I'd most definitely cut, no offence; follow a strength program such as Jim wendlers 5/3/1 to keep your strength or even gain strength while cutting (I'm cutting and gaining loads of strength). Sure you'll be skinny for a while but then you can lean bulk. The time it will take you to put on some decent lean muscle mass you will gain some extra fat so in the end you will be cutting for longer overall if you choose to bulk now

You know more muscle mass on body = more calories burned... Build the muscle, higher metabolism, more food, etc
Post 15 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
@SRorhrbac0808 he is not going to build a shit load of muscle quickly though is he and I don't think there's a huge difference in each 1lb of muscle gained x amount more kcal burned
Post 16 IP   flag post
^yeah. SOunds like he made up his mind though and is going to be on that bulk train. Either way is a good decision.
Post 17 IP   flag post
fLx_ private msg quote post Address this user
My first bulk cut cycle was 3 months bulk +10kg lifts went up by 70-80 % then 2 month cut -8kg and the transformation was huge, i would say bulk first, easier to cut with more muscle and higher maintance calorie level, milk noobie gains with a good strenght program, i would say stronglifts5x5 , squat and dl 2-3 times a week and eat like a beast=profit
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yeah ive been in a bulk routine for a little over a week and ive packed on 2 almost 3 kg. So ill stick with it for afew months
Post 19 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
You cant go wrong either way.

I would suggest eating clean, at maintenance cals, maybe at 50c/30p/20/f. for the first 3-4 weeks. Working a 5/3/1 routine like @AarronStenner said, or a L/P/P routine (be it full body's, or split over 3 days).

This way you will be able to see how your bodys reacting to noob gains and decide wether to slowly up the cals or drop them.

good luck man
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teewhat

I would suggest eating clean, at maintenance cals, maybe at 50c/30p/20/f. for the first 3-4 weeks. Working a 5/3/1 routine like @AarronStenner said, or a L/P/P routine (be it full body's, or split over 3 days).

This way you will be able to see how your bodys reacting to noob gains and decide wether to slowly up the cals or drop them.

good luck man

sooooo If I wash my pop tarts off will they be clean?!!?
Post 21 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Quote:
Originally Posted by teewhat

good luck man

sooooo If I wash my pop tarts off will they be clean?!!?

Dude, I can see the gains now. Small rinse washes away all the bad stuff.... Right? Haha
Post 22 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I say slow bulk
Put on them gains as you bulk
don't put your bulk train right into 5th gear tho
Post 23 IP   flag post
Hewy007 private msg quote post Address this user
Like personally i'd say cut then bulk, but i know you've made up your mind

either option isn't wrong tho
Post 24 IP   flag post
KalletSc private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I would cut for like 3-6 weeks...then hit the slow bulk for awhile.
Post 25 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
^
Post 26 IP   flag post
340762 26 26
destitute