Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit AdviceSquatsTraining Programs

Replace hack squats with front squats - PHAT11442

DFMaster240 private msg quote post Address this user
hey guys, how are ya doing???

so after a long three month vacation, i am gonna start lifting again, particularly start Phat again.

my question is before in the past i found that doing hack squats in phat puts a load of stress on my knees, and they feel really weird after a set. I wanted to know if i should replace them with front squats, or is this to much load on the body, after doing heavy sets of squats???

I have never done front squats, and if you guys think it is alright, i will learn to do them, and incorporate them in phat, instead of hack squats.

thanks for your help!
Post 1 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
On hacks push your knees out and they won't hurt as much. On front squats learn form before adding weight!
Post 2 IP   flag post
ill try it to see if it helps, thanks for advice!
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I LOVE front squats. I did them exclusively for about 3 months. Started light, worked on proper clean/oly grip, and increased weight each workout until I matched what I could do on back squat.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
I LOVE front squats. I did them exclusively for about 3 months. Started light, worked on proper clean/oly grip, and increased weight each workout until I matched what I could do on back squat.

I know front squats are great. but is it ok to replace them with hack squats, in a high volume program, phat. i mean doing front squats after back squats!!
or are they the same(load on the body) and its ok to replace?

does front squats place alot more load on the body than hack squats, i mean on the cns?

THANKS!
Post 5 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Add them and do them after back squats. I'm no PHAT expert but I see no reason you can't do Fronts over Hacks.

Maybe do Backs as your power squat and fronts as your hypertrophy squat.
Post 6 IP   flag post
databas1c private msg quote post Address this user
@DFMaster240 I'm not positive about this, but I'd imagine it depends on how you are doing hack squats.

If you are doing them on a hack squat machine, then front squats probably would tax your CNS more. If you are doing them barbell, I'd imagine it is pretty similar to front squats.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@databas1c , i bn doing hack squat machine,but my body can tolerate alot of volume, idk ill try and if its too much ill switch to another one.

Oh quick question, when i do front squats what grip should i use, the cross one, or the Olympic style??if Olympic style is better , are there any strethes for it looses up my shoulders, i have long arms.
Post 8 IP   flag post
jja0016 private msg quote post Address this user
squats hurt my knees more than hacks.

you gotta put your feet up high on the pedastel not down low or you FUCK your knees up. if they are high they dont hurt AT ALL and it targets the muscle like its suppose to =P

i fucking love hack squats
Post 9 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
My gym doesnt have a hack squat machine, and i really dont like doing them with a barbell either... tend to stick to doing them in the smith machine, able to get full ROM without pain in my knees or back.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute