Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Chest exercise done wrong.11439

Maarten private msg quote post Address this user
Just like me, I suppose people have been doing this exercise the wrong way. It's the front dumbbell raise with suppinated grip.

One of the functions of you pec is to bring up your arm, like a front raise. You can put more focus onto you pec by turning your hand into suppinated position. This exercise is preformed by many of us from time to time, but with incorrect form.

Incorrect: bringing the dumbbell to the medial position of your body (in front of your (baby)face)
Why not: you actually compress the pectoral muscle instead of giving it a stretch.

Correct: bring the dumbbell to a more lateral position, sort of inbetween lateral and medial.
Why: when you do this, you will notice you pectoral muscle gets a good stretch, especially when using light weight en focusing good form and also on the negative.

I have no scientific outdated articles from the 90s to back this up, BUT you can try it yourself since this execution of movement is one of the main movements of the pec, I think you'll be pleased.

Also I can't add pictures or any data, cuz I'm on my phone and having a small epiphany while studying.
Post 1 IP   flag post
eventheodds1 private msg quote post Address this user
@Maarten I think B Pak has a vid On what you just said.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@eventheodds1 please post the video if you can find it, will rep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ajones46 private msg quote post Address this user
I've honestly never performed this move. Worth it?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Try it, if it feels good/right, keep doing it! Always listen to your body
Post 5 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
So raise the dumbbells farther apart?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian
So raise the dumbbells farther apart?

indeed!
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@Maarten I'm confused. I'm sure I've misread something, but front DB raises are not primarily a chest exercise. They're an anterior delt exercise. What did I miss? -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
@Maarten I'm confused. I'm sure I've misread something, but front DB raises are not primarily a chest exercise. They're an anterior delt exercise. What did I miss? -3X

Ya that's what I thought, that it's a shoulder exercise.
Post 9 IP   flag post
'supinated grip', as in 'palms of your hands, up to the holy skies as if today is our armageddon, but we shall lift.'

anyone?
Post 10 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Palms up does indeed incorporate slightly more pectoralis, but what I've always been taught is that flexion of the humerus is a secondary movement to adduction because the anterior deltoid assists so much with both flexion and rotation of the humerus. I'm just not following how this is a "chest" exercise. Help me out here. I know you have a strong anatomy background, so what am I missing? -3X
Post 11 IP   flag post
@eknight I'll answer elaborately tomorrow , I have a neurology and advanced life support exam tomorrow, so I'm not going onto my laptop and get stuck in the internets for 1 hour (I know myself). And I can not post pictures or video's form my phone right now.

But ofcourse, the deltoids are also incorporated in this movement, you're right. But in practice, this becomes mainly a chest exercise when you preform it correctly and put more focus onto your pectoralis muscle.
Post 12 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Going to attempt this on Saturday srs. If I get snapped up I'm sending my doctors bill
Post 13 IP   flag post
teewhat private msg quote post Address this user
Would performing this lift on a more lateral plain not put more of the tension into the deltoid and away from the chest?
i perform supinated raises for chest already, wether it be with dumbells or low set cables, i get a real nice squeeze from them. but as you said, i fall into the, "bringing it to my face" catagorie
Post 14 IP   flag post
@eknight Okay! First of all, the exercise is called the 'chest raise' On the pictures here it is performed the wrong 'conventional' way:

A lot of people would be satisfied by performing it this way, because the pectoralis muscles get squeezed together. This is what I call 'the fake pump'. You can also get a fake pump in your broscience-inner-chest by doing CG barbell press - the muscle just gets squeezed together, which has no use at all.

How to correct the fake pump? On every exercise you focus on the anatomic use of the muscle and stretch and squeeze/flex/contract it accordingly.
E.g. the trapezius muscle referred to as traps. The anatomic use of this muscle is to retract your shoulders and pull them up. So you contract them accordingly to this use, you stretch by bringing your shoulders down and forward as far as possible. Then you get a real pump.

For our pectoral muscle we try to bring the region of origin/insertion to the maximum 'stretchable position' and we contract the muscle by bringing this point back towards our sternum (this is just direction-wise). You can also put your mind into it and constantly focus onto actually feeling the stretch and contraction. This will help you to perform better (101 neurology: our brain is constantly changing to our habits, muscle tone, ... even with just the act of thinking, we can develop a better execution of exercise and even muscular hypertrophy - search for brain plasticity)

Why would we perform this 'chest raise'? How does our chest get involved?

We can actually stretch the area of insertion/origin of our pectoral muscle by raising your hands according to the front corners of the horizontal plane:

Stretch as far (read: high) as possible and also focus on the contraction/negative. Also put your mind into the execution (stretch-contraction) as this will enhance the use of the pectoral muscle in case of dominant shoulder use.

Anatomic use:

@eknight I described it in a more broscience sort of way, so everyone can use this info. Please correct or give us more insight I'm also a little blur right now due to overflow of information because of my exams and my anatomic knowledge is pushed to the back a bit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I don't disagree with any of the above, but I DO disagree that this should be considered a primary "chest exercise." Extension of the shoulder is a secondary action of the pectoralis to humeral adduction. No movement that does not include this adduction can be considered a targeted pectoral movemenent. I would look at the above in the same way I'd look at pullovers, as the ROM is pretty similar. EMG analysis shows that movements involving adduction of the humerus by the pecs range a score of 65-100 on a 1-100 scale. Pullovers register a score of just over 40. Why? Extension of the shoulder involves too much help from the anterior deltoid, and isn't the primary function of the pecs.

If you have any EMG studies using this movement (or even pullovers) that show comparable results to pressing or fly movements, link them up, though. I'm always willing to learn something new. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
@eknight You're absolutely right! I actually do use it as more of an assistance exercise at the end of my chest-workouts lately.

Thanks for the extra info bro!

Post 17 IP   flag post
340740 17 17
destitute