Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestSplit Advice

Dumbbell/bench press power11351

MCarey private msg quote post Address this user
I'm well capable of shifting heavy weight with dumbbells and my barbell bench is okay

My problem is when I'm sitting back with the dumbbells how do I develop the power to push the weights above me? Without needing a spot?

Same with barbell bench how do I create the power to get through the sticking point?
Post 1 IP   flag post
4real private msg quote post Address this user
hm same my weakness is not the bottom or top but the middle of the movement
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarey
Same with barbell bench how do I create the power to get through the sticking point?

Define sticking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarey
My problem is when I\'m sitting back with the dumbbells how do I develop the power to push the weights above me? Without needing a spot?

I would assume you're not going through the full range of motion when you're doing your dumbbell pressing, if you can't get it up off your chest on the first rep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It's when I lie back on the bench, to get the weight up from that position

I do go through full rom

It's just the start at the beginning of the first rep
Post 4 IP   flag post
Flo1307 private msg quote post Address this user
@MCarey Sit normal->put the db on your knees->Lockout your arms and swing back with the db on your knees.

hope that makes sence haha.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The way I do it is dumbbells on my knees, sit down and then rock back and press

That's hard with 40kg dumbbells and no spot. What I'm wondering is how do I develop the power to where I can sit back with the dumbbells and press them. The rest I can do. Just the "getting them ready" part
Post 6 IP   flag post
MrMailliw private msg quote post Address this user
What @NorIda said.

I flick them back in a neutral position, flare elbows outwards whilst pronating wrists and then push up from the very bottom of the rep.

Then I start counting reps, the set up don't count!

I can even do that when I go heavy 4-6 reps on incline or flat DB so no excuses, do a weight you can actually handle.
Post 7 IP   flag post
A weight I can actually handle? Well capable of press heavy dumbbells I just can't get them up in front of me initially.

What I'm asking is how do I develop the strength to start the move? Is it shoulder work, lat work, tricep work?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@MCarey
It is chest work...

I am capable of pressing 20% more weight than I normally do with a shorter range of motion, that does not mean I can handle the weight.

I don't doubt your technique for setting up, I doubt your strength because you are probably going too heavy.
Kick out your ego.
Post 9 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
You have them resting on your knees, then kind of roll back keeping your knees under them until you fall into position, then lower your feet to the ground.

Or you can do it like Stan: (jump to 2:00)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jayatfc11 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think there's is an ego problem here he is just asking a better technique to lift the weights he has the strength!
Post 11 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular thank you I will try this next time

As @jayatfc said I know myself I have the strength just I was wondering without a spot there to push my elbows to the beginning of the movement, how do I develop the power to press as soon as my back hits the bench

I believe @wannabemuscular's video might help and I will give this a try next time
Post 12 IP   flag post
@MrMailliw I apologise of my reply came across as having an ego. I for one am a person who certainly does not have an ego and i apologise of this is how I may have seemed
Post 13 IP   flag post
@MCarey No worries man, just how it came across.

Could always try Scott Herman's technique, just make sure you get full ROM.

No hatin'

Skip to 2:30
Post 14 IP   flag post
Gonna try a few different ways see what suits best

Thanks for your help
Post 15 IP   flag post
ryan_929 private msg quote post Address this user
@MCarey I think it was indeed him who came across as abit arrogant. Regardless, hope the technique works out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
You could always just ask someone to help you get them up for the 1st rep/ set up rep.
Post 17 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@MrMailliw that video is exactly what I was trying to explain. Nice find . . .
Post 18 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
You use momentum to get the weight up initially. Watch dem videos
Post 19 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i just red the first few ones.. but i dont agree with norlda or mrmail.. saying that if you cant get the first one, means youre probably not going full ROM or it's too much ..

if i am using the 150lb dumbbells, the toughest spot is the very first rep.. once the weight is above me and is stabilized, i can then proceed to bang out reps.. i have no issues with the 110s to 130s but anything heavier, i need help on the first rep..

and after i get help , i can do 5+ reps usually full ROM without a problem.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular
Haha I thought it might be.

Never tried it myself, way too afraid I will throw the dumbbells behind me or not lock out properly and die under a heavy pair of weights
Post 21 IP   flag post
4real private msg quote post Address this user
since were on the topic how do i improve the middle portion of my bench? no mean to thread kill
Post 22 IP   flag post
@the1 see it happens to the best of us haha
Post 23 IP   flag post
@4real kill that thread man ha
Post 24 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Look up mark ripptoes video on getting the dumbbells in place.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Just thought I'd pop in and say I can now get the 40kg dumbbells up without a spot! Happy-progression
Post 26 IP   flag post
340764 26 26
destitute