Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Incline/decline/flat bench11322

craig private msg quote post Address this user
Which one will work my upp...

nah just messing.
If all bench presses hit the same place, why do we mainly stick with flat bench? I've discovered my decline bench is by far my strongest bench, is there any reason I shouldn't stick with it as my main bench as its the one I can push the most weight with and feel the best contraction with.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Dorian used declines almost exclusively if I'm not mistaken. Nothing wrong with that approach. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
kredson private msg quote post Address this user
It's all about angles. Decline bench creates more of an angle. Thus, you arent going to go as far down as you do on a flat bench, because if you did, you would be pressing the bar to your neck. Most people who decline bench enjoy it because they can do more weight. The distance of the press from start to finish is generally shorter. That same can be said for incline - it's just a different angle. Personally, I incorporate all three of them, even if it's just using dumbells. I got one of the best pumps I've gotten in a while yesterday, doing 3x10x85 DB Incline Press.

Personal perference mostly, IMO.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Pearce_Bolton private msg quote post Address this user
Quote : Kredson
"It's all about angles. Decline bench creates more of an angle. Thus, you arent going to go as far down as you do on a flat bench, because if you did, you would be pressing the bar to your neck. Most people who decline bench enjoy it because they can do more weight. The distance of the press from start to finish is generally shorter. That same can be said for incline - it's just a different angle. Personally, I incorporate all three of them, even if it's just using dumbells. I got one of the best pumps I've gotten in a while yesterday, doing 3x10x85 DB Incline Press.

Personal perference mostly, IMO."

This! I tend to variety through all off them on chest day, because i feel it hits my pecs from all angles.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
I use all 3, personal choice.

Do what one you feel works best for you!
Post 5 IP   flag post
thanks for the replies. I was hoping ek would reply and thats good to know. I think I'll try a month of doing decline first rather thank flat. I'll let you guys know if I notice much difference.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hiiibbbb private msg quote post Address this user
I hit chest from all angles on presses and flys in every rep range. Isnt this how you all do it? :S
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
No. There's no need to. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I only do flat bench.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hitting the chest with incline/decline/flat on both press and flies is a hell of a lot of work.

I had a quick look up on dorian yates opinion after what ek posted and I've just watched this seminar which you guys might also enjoy..

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/md-tv/lifestyles/2010-md-spring-seminar/2660-gaspari-nutrition-presents-the-md-seminar-dorian-yates-chest-training.html
Post 10 IP   flag post
Andres_rm7 private msg quote post Address this user
I Bench for my ego.
Post 11 IP   flag post
nine0seven private msg quote post Address this user
@eknight I read your comment about Dorian Yates and for a second I thought you were talking about me, because my name is Dorian....quite the name to live up to :/
Post 12 IP   flag post
When I do incline bench press, instead of keeping my back against the pad, I like to stick my chest up in order to make a deeper stretch in the pecs which also helps eliminate the delts doing some of the work.
Post 13 IP   flag post
GGBro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0seven
When I do incline bench press, instead of keeping my back against the pad, I like to stick my chest up in order to make a deeper stretch in the pecs which also helps eliminate the delts doing some of the work.

Sooo you do a flat press on the incline bench?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Callofthehounds private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBro
Quote:

Nooooooooo, he incline presses on the flat bench.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callofthehounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBro
Quote:

Nooooooooo, he incline presses on the flat bench.

Lol, it shouldn't matter though...its not like i'm trying to isolate my "upper chest"
Post 16 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
i used to do a lot of decline work but now i'm mainly focusd on dumbbell movements for flat/incline.. incline closegrip bench for triceps
Post 17 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
I see the logic behind only doing decline because like you said you can put up more weight then with the other variations but wouldn't it make sense to do the variation your weaker at seeing as it will allow you more room for improvement/ progressive overload which is what makes you grpw
Post 18 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
^ good point
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamere01
I see the logic behind only doing decline because like you said you can put up more weight then with the other variations but wouldn't it make sense to do the variation your weaker at seeing as it will allow you more room for improvement/ progressive overload which is what makes you grpw

In theory yes. But Its not that my other benches are 'weak' its just they aren't as strong as my decline, now take into consideration I never really do decline and its my strongest push, my chest isn't amazing by any means, I'd go as far as saying its a weak point aesthetically. So if I continue with mainly flat bench and incline bench things won't change so I think trying decline as my main bench is actually a great idea. It was good to see dorian yates opinion on it as a mass builder too, which is what I'm looking for. If something isn't broke don't fix it but I feel my chest needs some fixing so I can't continue how I have the last year or so
Post 20 IP   flag post
340733 20 20
destitute