Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
DeadliftPHATSplit AdviceSquatsTraining Programs

PHAT+ deadlifting and squatting11295

fLx_ private msg quote post Address this user
Hello guys

ive done phat for a while now and really like the routine and with a deload every 4-6 weeks, i think the volume is just perfect for me!

but i think that only 1 3x5 session of heavy squatting is not enough.. and what ive understood @eknight is doing some phat kinda routine but arent u an old powerlifter so i would assume u squat more than 3 sets a week

and the same goes for deadlifting, only 3x8-12 of romanian deadlifts a week

i rly want to improve as fast as i can in both of the big lifts

the last bulk i did, i squatted 9 sets a week and deadlifted 9 sets a week, but did only 3 sets a week for tris and 3 for bis, so they didnt grow all that much in that bulk, but i focused more on the core, with phat focusing a little bit more on upper body and arms than what i did my last bulk, i still want to improve my dl and squat the most i can possibly improve in both form and weight used!

what do u all think, is there a way to apply a more systematic approach to improve the big lifts on the phat routine?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hiiibbbb private msg quote post Address this user
I squat every other day rotating heavy and light and an making faster progress than i ever have.
Post 2 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
You could always split up your legs hypo session and lower power so that in one your deadlifting heavy with low reps and squatting light with more reps and the do the opposite on the other day. Or do them on the same day.
Post 3 IP   flag post
lower power- start with heavy deadlift 5x3-6, dumping the stiff legged dl's and hack squats ( feels pretty much like dl) later squatting 3x6-10ish

lower hyp: start with heavy squat 5x3-6, throwing away speed squats ( i dont think they are needed yet to improve my squat, defo not) and maybe throw away hack squats also -later deadlift lighter 3x6-10ish

does it look good? 8 sets of dl and 8 sets of squats week hitting the 3-10 rep ranges,and when improvement stall in those repranges maybe up them so i also hit the 12-15 but till then , go heavy?
Post 4 IP   flag post
and i really dont wanna fuck up quad/ham balance either
Post 5 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Personally i wouldn't dead and squat heavy on the same day.. Not a good idea IMO.
You won't effectively achieve what u want here... split it up. Make sure there's at least a day in between.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ur probobly right @firemansi

what i want to achieve is to improve my big lifts as well as adding mass to chest/ shoulders back and arms , i lack them cuz i focused so much on squats and dls in my last bulk

i really like the phat program,and it has worked VERY well for upper body but wanna throw away some of the assisting leg exircises to really focus on the big lifts in diffrent rep ranges ( goal is 200 kg DL)

Matt ogus told in a video log that his strenght and size in his arms didnt improve during his 5 3 1 style training, and i feel that my wrist/ arm strenght is holding me back in DL at the moment, and lack of mass in upper back is holding me back at squat, making it a little unsteady!

Do anyone have suggestions?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I tend to use the Over/Under grip style when my grip fails on Double overhand... do u utilise this man ??
Post 8 IP   flag post
yes! but still failin usually on the 10th-12th rep, loong before my back/legs
Post 9 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLx_

You realize this isn't exactly a strength rep range, right?
Post 10 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLx_

You realize this isn't exactly a strength rep range, right?

This
Post 11 IP   flag post
@norida @_rudeCrewNo ofcource it isnt, but my overall point was that i want the keep improving on arms and upper body, as this will not only look good but also improve my squat and deadlift - in all rep ranges!

what i have is 2 goals: get stronger arms and add more mass in back and overall to the upper body

phat have done this VERY VELL, already after 2 months!

In the same time improve my squat and deadlift in the most optimal way, and what i think is that this is done only by actually deadlifting and squatting, but phat only has 3 sets for squat- i think the template Norton has posted on the website is for somone like himself for example who need a whole bunch of assisting exercises to acutally improve his squat and deadlift

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!
Post 12 IP   flag post
idk why you're trying to get bigger arms to increase your Deadlift.. Doesn't seem functional to me.

Increase your Arm Volume/TuT/Progressive overload, with a correct diet, and your arms will grow

Deadlift, and squat. Do them both heavy, add in Dynamic Work, do some volume work, add in accessory lifts, and focus on correct form and Progressive Overload.

You're over thinking it.

Eat, and pick shit up.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
idk why you're trying to get bigger arms to increase your Deadlift.. Doesn't seem functional to me.

Increase your Arm Volume/TuT/Progressive overload, with a correct diet, and your arms will grow

Deadlift, and squat. Do them both heavy, add in Dynamic Work, do some volume work, add in accessory lifts, and focus on correct form and Progressive Overload.

You're over thinking it.

Eat, and pick shit up.

I'd listen to the man dude !!

Also liquid chalk helps me maintain a good grip for longer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@firemansi @norida Yes ofc i listen i sometimes feel that my lack of english skills make me look like an total idiot sometimes on theese forums

to explain simply: i like phat but want to dl / squat more, how can this be done without having too much volume ?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Just do it. Phat is more of a concept than written in stone.

You can deadlift heavy on lower Hypo day.

You can add more volume on Hypo day

You can remove Say, leg extensions, or do two sets of leg extensions, and add in more squats.

If your diet is in check, it is pretty hard to have "too much" volume.
Post 16 IP   flag post
thx thats what i wanted to know and ofc diet is in check- 500c-180p-100f, been upping slowly for 2 months and now finally i start gaining...my metabolism is crazy..
Post 17 IP   flag post
Have at it man! Good luck!
Post 18 IP   flag post
@norida ive added some goodmornings and will do more squats and dls now

lower power
dl 4x5 ( add 1 set more if i can do the rest of the workout fine)
leg ext 2x6-10
squat 3x12 form work ( box squats if needed, ass to the ground)
goodmornings ( improve dl) 2x10
leg curl 2x6-10

+ calves

lower hyp

squat 4x5 ( maybe one more set)
leg press 2x12-15
extensions 2x15-20
deadlift formwork 3x12
stiff legged deadlift 2x10-12
good mornings 3x8-12
leg curl 3 x15-20

added form work with lower wheight - i want to have the PERFECT squat and deadlift, added goodmornings to help keeping my back rounded when deadlifting, and that will also force me to really stretch my glutes as they are a little bit stiff , and its hard to do good mornings with good form with stiff hamstrings

thx for the help))
Post 19 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
To work on deadlift form I would drop the weight and reps and do speed work. Even with the weight lite at around 12 reps form is gonna start breaking down. I would do like 8 sets of 3 at around 50-70% of your 1rm
Post 20 IP   flag post
@_rudecrew maybe ill do about 6x3 of speed work of both squats and deadlift and only 1-2 sets of 8-12 reps "hyphertrophy style"

i feel like it could benefit me to hit the little bit higher rep ranges for those exercises also?
Post 21 IP   flag post
340762 21 21
destitute