Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbiePlateau BustingTraining LogTraining Programs

Training issues11251

BlondeSnake private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, I've been consistently training for a little over 7 months now, however I have stalled in my gains.

My main issues are that my squats aren't going up, my grip gives out on dead lifts long before my legs ever feel tired and the same for pull ups.

And overall my exercises seem to have plateaued across the board except for dips and closer grip benching. My weight hasn't changed in 2 months so I'm a little concerned.

I've tried eating more than my current surplus for 2 months but I only got fatter, not any stronger.
I've tried higher reps, lower reps, rest days/weeks, short/longer rest intervals.

The only thing left I can think of is tempo which I'm playing with at the moment, as in keeping constant tension on the muscle.

Not sure why I can't grow anymore, any help would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
GGBro private msg quote post Address this user
If your grip is going out on your lifts then you need to work out your grip. Do farmers walks or just grab shit and pick it up. If you are using machines then stop and start using dumbbells. You can get straps for deads or use an alternating grip which helps but thats just a quick fix. Pick shit up and grip the fuck out of it and your grip will improve.

For pull ups just doing them over and over will help your grip eventually. You can also do a dead hang for a min as an auxiliary exercise.

Squats are tricky. There are a lot of reasons why they may not be going up. One of them might just be fear of putting on more weight and not being able to get out of the hole.

Don’t go crazy over your maintenance for calories and shoot for progressive overload on your reps. Add 1 more rep every week or a little more weight to a workout. Just always make sure you are shooting higher than you were and you will eventually grow.
Post 2 IP   flag post
BlondeSnake private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the reply.

I currently do farmers walks and dead hangs.

I believe you might be right for squats as I generally only do front squats, but the intensity I throw at it with the creeper plates each workout (1.25kgs) just about ends me each set.

I'll try beating reps.
Since we're on the topic, I cycle rep ranges each week but I'm not sure if this is appropriate? Should I be sticking to one for longer or just continue with what I'm doing.

For reference this is basically the program I follow with a few adjustments of my own to correct my weaker points and body angles.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_shut_up_program_a_simple_and_effective_split
Post 3 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeSnake
I cycle rep ranges each week but I'm not sure if this is appropriate? Should I be sticking to one for longer or just continue with what I'm doing.

This is okay for supplemental/complimentary lifts but not for compounds. Keep reps on your compounds low. Look at the 5/3/1 program which keeps rep range low but still adds in some variety from week to week.

Your split has Squats and DLs on the same day. This makes it difficult to put up great lifts in both exercises. I would do Military Presses and Squats on the same day and give DLs their own day.

For your grip on DLs - use straps when working with the heaviest weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGBro
Squats are tricky. There are a lot of reasons why they may not be going up. One of them might just be fear of putting on more weight and not being able to get out of the hole.

Great point - are you working with a spotter?
Post 4 IP   flag post
340764 4 4
destitute