Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Training Programs

Starting strength modification11194

skel1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I know starting strength is made for beginners but i am a novice. Ive been lifting for about 4 months and know my limitations. With that being said i want to get more strength on compound lifts so im going to try starting strength but add a few exercises. Tell me if you think this would help me progress.

Workout A is 3x5
Squat
Bench
Deadlift.
I want to add dumbell press right after bench and add weighted dips after deadlift.

Workout B is 3x5
Squat
Overhead press
Clean
I want to add dumbell overhead press right after barbell press and add weighted chins after clean.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't. Just me, but programs designed by professionals that have worked for decades shouldn't be modified.

No offense, but after 4 months you're definitely not a "novice." I'd consider almost every person I've ever met or trained (or trained with)- myself included- a beginner for their first year, if not longer. You're still making gains and changes at the cellular level for 6 months+ before you even start having to modify your diet or routine to get past sticking points. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
Anything I say after this^^^ will look like a baby wrote it. But yeah wat he said lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
skel1977 private msg quote post Address this user
so i should stick to starting strength without modification then. Thats why i asked thanks.

I have been on a 3 day split and realized that its probably not the best if i want strength gains which is why im chaning programs
Post 4 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
A couple things to add:

1 - There is a highly regarded book for the program called Starting Strength by Rippetoe himself. I find that reading the handbook for any workout I'm on is a big help.

2 - To gauge your progress you can use charts on this site: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html I would not be surprised if you are at the novice at some or all lifts.

I would run the program "as is" for several months. It can be tough to "do less" --- taking a deload week for instance or following the SS program verbatim --- but this stuff helps you stay consistent over the long haul which is key.

If your enthusiasm and energy are really through the roof after 2-3 months I would consider adding in some extra accessory work for fun.... as long as you keep the core of the routine the same. After all, your workout should be enjoyable and challenging.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
@mike ... The link you provided, what dictates those numbers? I mean, who came up with those? Just curious, because it's spot on for where I am at.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
@monster81 think it's the average of peoples prestations over a couple of centuries

"The performance standards are adult standards (>18 years old) for a single maximal repetition (1RM) based on competitive weightlifter and powerlifting classification systems in use from the 1950's to present."
Post 7 IP   flag post
Monster81 private msg quote post Address this user
@Devil yeah I read that, was just curious who/what org established it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340738 8 8
destitute