Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Injury RecoveryNewbiePHATTraining Log

Phat training log (all advise welcomed)11068

simply_michael private msg quote post Address this user
I figured I would post on here cause this community is so helpful. Long time lurker and figured I would give credit to Layne as well by doing the log .

Me:
* 37 years old
* weightlifting for 2 years coming back from shoulder surgery and depression of it (dislocated shoulder 8x)
* Alcohol free and addict free 5 months ,6 months on 18th
* 5'7 (probably 5'6 )
* unknown bodyfat (enclosed pics )
* body type skinny fat: I am coming from 170 pounds down to 145.8 pounds post surgery and free now to lift any way I choose

so yea that's me so starting with low weights and moving on up . not sure how I can post pics cause I don't see an upload button but I aint that special nor am I hugely fit .. that's what I am on here for to remake myself and make my comeback.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Upper Body Power Day
•Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows
3 sets of 5 reps - 60 pounds - go up
•Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups
2 sets of 6 reps - bodyweight x3,x3 - stay
•Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins
2 sets of 6 reps - bodyweight x6,x4
•Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses
3 sets of 5 reps- 95 pounds - go up
•Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips
2 sets of 6 reps - bodyweight x5,x3
•Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 6 reps- 20 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary curling movement: E-z bar curls
3 sets of 6 reps- 50 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers
3 sets of 6 reps - 40 pounds- go up
Post 2 IP   flag post
Lower Body Power Day
•Pressing Power Movement: Squats
3 sets of 5 reps- 95 pounds - go up
•Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats(machine)
2 sets of 6 reps - 95 pounds - go up
•Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions
2 sets of 6 reps - 70 pounds - go up
•Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts
3 sets of 5 reps - 95 pounds - go up
•Assistance pulling/curling movement: lying leg curls
2 sets of 6 reps - 50 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise
3 sets of 6 reps - 110 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise
2 sets of 6 reps - 60 pounds - go up
Cardio
156 heart rate on elliptical for 1 mile in 12 minutes

shew .. someone called me fat so it gave me extra motivation to get back fat and stomach when I sit down to have no jelly rolls ..
Post 3 IP   flag post
Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day•Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Pendlay rows
6 sets of 3 reps- 45 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack chins
3 sets of 12 - bodyweight x8,x6,x5 - stay
•Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row
3 sets of 12 reps - 40 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pulling movement: Shrugs
2 sets of 15 reps- 50 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns
2 sets of 20 reps - 40 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell presses
3 sets of 12 reps- 15 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows
2 sets of 15 reps - 20 pounds - stay
•Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lat raises w/dumbbells
3 sets of 20 reps- 2.5 pounds x20,x16,x12
Cardio
Ellipitical 1 mile heart rate 142 in 12 minutes
Post 4 IP   flag post
Lower Body Hypertrophy Day•Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats
6 sets of 3 reps- 75 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats
3 sets of 12 reps- 20 pounds (sleigh not included)- stay
•Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses
2 sets of 15 reps- just sleigh weight -up
•Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions
3 sets of 20 reps- 30 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts
3 sets of 12 reps- 70 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls
2 sets of 15 reps- 30 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls
2 sets of 20 reps- 30 pounds- up
•Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises
4 sets of 15 reps- 50 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises
3 sets of 20 reps- 45 pounds x20, 25 pounds x20, x20 - stay
Cardio
Treadmill 3.5 speed incline of 10 for 1.16 miles in 20 minutes
Post 5 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Good work man. Surprised nobody else has commented on your log!

I like seeing all those "ups"!

Keep grinding away! People will likely follow a little closer if you get an avi, so people have a face to match with your name! Just a tip if you want to get more involved.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Good work man. Surprised nobody else has commented on your log!

I like seeing all those "ups"!

Keep grinding away! People will likely follow a little closer if you get an avi, so people have a face to match with your name! Just a tip if you want to get more involved.

thanks man and will get avi .. I aint nothing compared to u . I will be with a shirt lol and the ups cause I started low cause this is a lot of volume and I took extra days off to recoop . wow ur build is what I wish for
Post 7 IP   flag post
Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day
•Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat Barbell presses
6 sets of 5 reps - 65 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline barbell presses
3 sets of 12 reps- 65 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press
3 sets of 15 reps - 10 pounds @ each side x15,x15,x10 stay
•Hypertrophy fly movement: cable flyes
2 sets of 20 reps- 10 pounds
•Hypertrophy curling exercise: E-z bar preacher curls
3 sets of 12 reps- 45 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls
2 sets of 15 reps -10 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy extension exercise: Dumbbell French press
3 sets of 12 reps -10 pounds - up
•Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment
2 sets of 15 reps- 30 pounds- up
•Hypertrophy extension exercise: Dumbbell kickbacks
2 sets of 20 reps- 10 pounds- up

I took out •Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench
2 sets of 15-20 reps
due to shoulder issues ..anything someone recommend to replace with ? will post pics next post . Don't judge I know I am no where like anyone on here. if someone could estimate bf would be great and should I continue to lean down or just lift big and eat wise ?
Post 8 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_michael
I figured I would post on here cause this community is so helpful. Long time lurker and figured I would give credit to Layne as well by doing the log .

Me:
* 37 years old
* weightlifting for 2 years coming back from shoulder surgery and depression of it (dislocated shoulder 8x)
* 5'7 (probably 5'6 )
* body type skinny fat: I am coming from 170 pounds down to 145.8 pounds post surgery and free now to lift any way I choose

so yea that's me so starting with low weights and moving on up . not sure how I can post pics cause I don't see an upload button but I aint that special nor am I hugely fit .. that's what I am on here for to remake myself and make my comeback.

Welcome fellow older guy! (there are only a few 35+ guys here) First time I'm actually reading your thread. Good job on that accomplishment I highlighted above. First things first, right? Trade those toxic addictions for some healthy ones! Keep working man.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Love phat logs because thats what im running so its good to compare with other phat brahs.

Will be following

Also due to your previous shoulder injuries id advise you to drop the weighted dips. Thats what fked up my shoulder even with good form.
Post 10 IP   flag post

here is my pic and yes I know I am not in the category as u all are ... clearly I am all natural LOL .. but should I just lift heavy and eat clean and a lot (bulk ) or just do what I am and lean out more so ?

and yes took a lot for me to post this in a forum where u all to me are elite and I am just blah but I keep telling myself .. one day at a time .. foundations are built
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
Quote:

Me:
* 37 years old
* 5'7 (probably 5'6 )

Welcome fellow older guy! (there are only a few 35+ guys here) First time I'm actually reading your thread. Good job on that accomplishment I highlighted above. First things first, right? Trade those toxic addictions for some healthy ones! Keep working man.

thanks man I appreciate it . been a journey being sober and clean handling life as it comes at me . really odd that I almost some days have to be like a teenager and handle finances etc. what comes normal to most people is abnormal to me cause my normal is drinking and drugging the night away . so its been fun but I am tired of not having a thing to my name and unhealthy relationships and being miserable .
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet
Love phat logs because thats what im running so its good to compare with other phat brahs.

Will be following

Also due to your previous shoulder injuries id advise you to drop the weighted dips. Thats what fked up my shoulder even with good form.

ok I feel yas and hear you on weighted dips .. what could u advise then I replace it with . and I will def apply this next time go thru

All advise people give I will implement immediately cause as u can tell u have what I want which is why I formed the log to lean off the "bro science" and get me in best shape ever
Post 13 IP   flag post
Upper Body Power Day
•Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows
3 sets of 5 reps - 70 pounds - go up
•Assistance Pulling movement: Pull ups
2 sets of 6 reps - bodyweight x5,x2,x2 - up
•Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins
2 sets of 6 reps - bodyweight x7,x5
•Pressing Power Movement: Flat Barbell presses
3 sets of 5 reps- 115 pounds - go up
•Assistance pressing movement: Hammer strength seated dips
2 sets of 10 reps - 35 pounds each side
•Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
3 sets of 10 reps- 30 pounds x10,x10,x6 (stay went higher reps due to shoulder injury)
•Auxiliary curling movement: E-z bar curls
3 sets of 6 reps- 60 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers
3 sets of 6 reps - 50 pounds- go up

Just trucking away ..feel free to say hi or answer any of the questions I posted ..thanks gang .. no cardio today
Post 14 IP   flag post
gang any thoughts on getting rid of the stomach issue ? abs would be cool or getting rid of the skinny fat?
Post 15 IP   flag post
ok so I was pissed off tonight so I took it out on the treadmill .. now I gotta do legs tomorrow lol

Treadmill
No incline speed 5.0 for one hour . last 5 minutes varied speed and completed 4.95 miles ..

that's a personal record too ...hmmm I guess I went all hulk
Post 16 IP   flag post
dempsey private msg quote post Address this user
keep it up man! if you want abs first then you need to cut, eat on a deficit and keep working hard. if you want to bulk first then cut after than its up to you. Keep killing it!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Dempsey
if u had my build then what would u recommend at this point? I hate being at cross roads
Post 18 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
@simply_michael Wooooo doin werk! Keep it up!
Post 19 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Hell yeah @OP. Just went through and read your log. Keep it up man, gains are in your reach bud.
Post 20 IP   flag post
i would cut slowly man maybe for a month and see how i look. then from there if i feel satisfied with my cut i would bulk. n_n
Post 21 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Deffo do a cut, once your satisfied with your abs, then bulk! thats what im doing!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Lower Body Power Day
•Pressing Power Movement: Squats
3 sets of 5 reps- 115 pounds - go up
•Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats(machine)
2 sets of 6 reps - 115 pounds - go up
•Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions
2 sets of 6 reps - 90 pounds - go up
•Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts
3 sets of 5 reps - 115 pounds - go up
•Assistance pulling/curling movement: lying leg curls
2 sets of 6 reps - 60 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise
3 sets of 6 reps - 120 pounds - go up
•Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise
2 sets of 6 reps - 70 pounds - go up
Cardio
156 heart rate on elliptical for 2.45 mile in 30 minutes

thanks gang for all the support, picking up the intensity . now for those that said cut

Any tips that you would give for a cut and also what about macro's on cut. Lastly thermogentic you recommend while cutting and thanks cause even a hero gets frustrated
Post 23 IP   flag post
aim for 1-2 lbs loss per week. i lost 5 lbs my first week so i had to adjust my calories. for my macros i aim for atleast a lb of protein per bodyweight. carbs and fat i play around with. somedays i eat a lot of carbs and less fat and other days i eat with less carbs.. so its up to you man. i just eat a lot of protein to keep me full and for better recovery after workouts. the impt thing is to be on a caloric deficit. good luck man!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
Look into dumb overhead extention. Not sure. I actually dont do a power movement for triceps and on wednesday i do hypertrophy triceps. Because on shoulder day i do no pressing, i hit my shoulders with isolation individually due to my injuries

I am advanced soi dont recommend tbis for you..Quote:
Quote:

Will be following

ok I feel yas and hear you on weighted dips .. what could u advise then I replace it with . and I will def apply this next time go thru

All advise people give I will implement immediately cause as u can tell u have what I want which is why I formed the log to lean off the "bro science" and get me in best shape ever
Quote:
Quote:

Will be following

Quote:
Quote:

Will be following

Post 25 IP   flag post
Flo1307 private msg quote post Address this user
@simply_michael welcome to the boards man !

I did phat a while ago so if you want you can give my thread a shot.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/10227/page/2/f-you-summer-phatbulk-log/

Close Grip bench and Skullcrusher were my exercises for tric on power days.(I don't know why but my shoulder hate dips)
Post 26 IP   flag post
@flo1307
will be reading it fer sure ..thanks for showing up and always open to advise ..
Post 27 IP   flag post
Pearce_Bolton private msg quote post Address this user
Use compact movements dude cause your body physically doesnt want to change so youve got to force it into that change, dont do all these isolating bollocks , my tip for you is to do squats,deadlifts and clean and jerks, can do what ever weight you see you'll benefit from the most, do 3 sessions a week do as many reps as you can untill you feel it hurting dont waste your time doing these isolating movements, its only gunna tire you out easier you'll spend about 6 months before realising im right and in 3 months off my advice you'll be shredded bro, it'll speed your metabolism up because your working more muscles, do some cardio to help blitz the fat dude do cardio before working out, otherwise it'll stop your anabolic effect/testosterone levels which would make your workout worthless tbh , ps Get shredded dude.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Pearce_Bolton private msg quote post Address this user
Do some isolating movements the last 2 weeks, to define your muscles and lose the bodyfat, im not gunna gurantee youu'll have a full body transformation by week 12 but depends how mentally ready youu are for it pal
Post 29 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce_Bolton
Use compact movements dude cause your body physically doesnt want to change so youve got to force it into that change, dont do all these isolating bollocks , my tip for you is to do squats,deadlifts and clean and jerks, can do what ever weight you see you'll benefit from the most, do 3 sessions a week do as many reps as you can untill you feel it hurting dont waste your time doing these isolating movements, its only gunna tire you out easier you'll spend about 6 months before realising im right and in 3 months off my advice you'll be shredded bro, it'll speed your metabolism up because your working more muscles, do some cardio to help blitz the fat dude do cardio before working out, otherwise it'll stop your anabolic effect/testosterone levels which would make your workout worthless tbh , ps Get shredded dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce_Bolton
Do some isolating movements the last 2 weeks, to define your muscles and lose the bodyfat, im not gunna gurantee youu'll have a full body transformation by week 12 but depends how mentally ready youu are for it pal

Just.

No.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340733 79 30
destitute