Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Diet AdviceInspirationNewbieTraining Programs

Lifestyle Change11020

FitForForty private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys/Gals

I'm a newbie here so thought i'd introduce myself if anyones interested

So, 2 Weeks ago I thought, Im fed up of being an average overweight man. So decided to do something about it before I'm 40, My initial idea was to get a 6-pack before im 40 (3 months) I am 5'8 and a quarter, 12st 7lbs (177lbs/80kg) 26 BMI and 20% BodyFat (According to the machine in boots) I have slim arms and legs and all my weight seems to be on my belly and chest.

Anyway, I decided to start off I'll bike to work (on my Mountain bike)every weekday 6 miles each way which I am now really getting into and getting faster, so thats the cardio nailed, I also started going to the Gym at lunchtimes with my mate 3 times a week (just done 5 session today)I've also started to sort out my diet, eating really well now, cut out all the Dr.Peppers, Crisps, Bread, Choccy etc. My usual routine now is a

smoothie for breakfast which consists of (2 pieces of fruit/berries, 2 tbl spoons of hemp seeds, 1 tbl spoon of greek yoghert, 1 tbl spoon on peanut butter, 1 tbl spoon of coconut oil, 2 cups of Almond milk or coconut water and a handful of spinach

Salad and wholemeal roll/soup for lunch

Meat and 2/3 Veg for Dinner

Snacks: Almonds or fruit

So, I realised, I'm not going to get a 6-pack in 3 months, but doing this regime I have lost 7lbs in just over 1 week, My goal is to lose 1kg per week for 11 weeks. Which I think is going to be hard but manageable.

At the gym, I want to get my muscles toned/bigger/stronger so am currently doing a full body workout each time I go for the next 6 weeks, then I plan to concentrate on a specific set of muscle groups each session for the forseeable future.

My aim is to get to 12-13% body fat, then try to maintain irrelevant of what my weight is at that point, I dont mind if I put on a bit as long as the bodyfat is low.

If you have any pointers/critisism of my plan, then please by all means reply and help me out, I have no idea if this is the right way to go about this Lifestyle change or not.

Thanks for reading, hope I havent bored you too much.

M
Post 1 IP   flag post
kredson private msg quote post Address this user
This is a lot to take in! The biggest thing that caught my eye was your initial weight loss of seven pounds in a week. I'm not trying to burst your bubble by any means, but I would imagine most of this is water weight.

Water retention happens by way of a high sodium intake from processed/fast foods. A high sodium intake will dehydrate your cells. In turn, your cells will automatically hold onto any water it can - this is something that can be countered by drinking PLENTY of water and watching salt intake, and of course developing healthier eating habits - which you have done. Point being, I wouldn't anticipate this to be the case in the coming weeks.

Your diet looks good, in terms of QUALITY, but I wouldn't say it looks good in terms of QUANTITY. There's no real way to tell because there are no quantities listed on your forum, but it seems like you could be eating a bit more. I'm not someone who eats a lot, and I eat A LOT more than you.

Otherwise, your amounts of exercise and everything look good. It will be hard to tell though until you give a better description of the quanitities of food you are eating?

Do you count macros? Do you weigh out or track your food at all?
Post 2 IP   flag post
G3NGHIS private msg quote post Address this user
Hey buddy, first off congrats on making the change. Though those machines measuring bodyfat can give a rough estimate, it's all about how you look.

A lot of wrestlers from the 80s and 90s were pretty close to 15-20% bodyfat, but they look good because they have so much muscle mass. So remember bodyfat is kind of relative to your muscle mass. However, if you have skinny arms, you most likely don't have much overall mass. So it sounds like you are going on a cut.

The following article is long, but it will help you understand what you need to be hitting calorically to make the changes you want. Your foods look solid, but remember a lot of this is about hitting your macros.

Read the shit out of this

P.S. - Drink Diet Dr. Pepper

P.S.S. - If you are feeling naughty, drink Dr. Pepper 10 (10 Calories)

P.S.S.S. - Your username totally reminded me of this

P.S.S.S.S. - Good fucking luck, I will check in on this post tomorrow
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Good for you for making the decision. That's the first step - the desire to take action.

Now, depending on your level of commitment, and how successful you really want to be, you're going to have to track your diet more precisely. Get on MyFitnessPal or something like that and track your daily diet down to everything you eat and drink. Make sure you're getting an adequate and consistent amount of macros (protein, carbs, fats) in the area of 30%protein/50%carbs/20%fats.

Welcome to SS. Stick around, lurk the forums, participate. It definitely helps with motivation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
FitForForty private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys

Thanks for taking the time to read my post:

@kredson Yeah, I totally get what you mean about the 7lbs I lost being mainly water weight, I don't expect to lose anywhere near that on a weekly basis. I'd say im eating around 1500-1600 calories a day at the moment, I will get myself back on myfitnesspal and start recording in detail, though I do find it a bit of a chore, but will try to get into the habit again.

What do you mean by macros? I do weigh as much as I can of my own food.

@g3nghis I agree on it all about how you look, but thought id set a target anyway, I've not set it in stone its more like a guide until I find out more about the best way to get this working.

Thanks for the links, still not sure what macros are, I'll Google it.

@wannabemuscular Ahh, Macros (protein, carbs & fats!) Yup, I'll go back on myfitnesspal like you suggest, have a feeling I'll find it difficult to work out the percentages, I suppose at this early stage I just want to lose a couple of stone and get fit, then I can start drilling down to shape my body etc.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time and giving your advice, it's appreciated.

M
Post 5 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
I done the same thing 5 months ago! Changed my diet, Always went to the gym but wasnt dedicated! ive never felt better, stronger or fitter than i do now!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
what the guys above me already stated, track macros. Plus 1kg a week feels a bit much.
Post 7 IP   flag post
kredson private msg quote post Address this user
@FitForForty

THIS: http://doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart1/ Read it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
340609 8 8
destitute