Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Home GymPHATSplit Advice

Need help with PHAT Lifts without machines11008

mastamuffin private msg quote post Address this user
Whats up fella's.
So its been my dream to have my own home gym since i started lifting. I finally have come up with the money and space so i have furnished my garage with about $1500 worth of equipment so i can stop working out at the gym (I work for 24 Hour Fitness ironically so i get free membership, but ive grown to hate commercial gyms)

Anyway i have a power rack, Incline/decline/flat bench, Barbells and all the olympic weights (about 800lbs worth so far) Ez bar, tricep bar, High/Low Cable pulley, and dumbbells that go from 5-120lbs.

Im starting PHAT again during my bulk to build my strength/size back up (been slacking off since working full time and going to school full time)

Now i just need help for ideas on different workouts for PHAT. I know that PHAT is just a template, but i ran it before using the almost exact workouts as he listed and loved it.

For the workouts that used machines, i subbed in other workouts that use free weights instead. If anyone has any better suggestions of lifts that would take the place of the machines that are better, please let me know.

Here is what ive subbed so far:
Hack squat = Front BB Squats
Leg Extensions = walking BB lunges
Leg curls = glute/ham raise
Hammer Strength Chest Press = Decline BB Bench.

Do these seem like plausible substitutes?

Thanks again. Pics coming soon of home set up

Also, did anyone else use rack chins or did you guys sub them out for anything? (just curious because last time i used lat pulldowns instead since setting up rack chins at my gyms i used to workout at was a pain due to crowdedness)
Post 1 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@mastamuffin

I ENVY YOU!!! I need a home gym! Cant wait to see what it looks like.

Your subbed exercises look perfect. For the walking lunges I would not do BB lunges, rather use dumbbells and focus on staying upright (think about leaning backwards), this then becomes very quad dominant. With a barbell on your back you might not be able to stay as upright.

When I did PHAT, I didn't like the rack pulls. But Lat pull-down is more of a vertical pull down, not quite the same movement. A better Subb would be bench supported DB row with elbows flared.

Post 2 IP   flag post
mastamuffin private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you sir, Ill do db instead of BB.
Ill try the rack chins and the DB rows supported and see what i can do better

And yea, i haven't touched a commerical gym in almost 2 weeks (except at work of course) and dont miss a thing. It also helps that i have friends who lift that live in the neighborhoods surrounding mine so on the heavy days i have a spot and workout partner.

Its a large investment that im still adding onto, but i have no regrets
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dukenhiemer private msg quote post Address this user
If you have a GHR you can basically forget anything else as far as your hams are concerned, IMO.
As far as upper body you will just have to get creative, hammer press is way over rated anyways, the only time I use it is with bands to hit my lockout.
Post 4 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome man! I'm a home gym guy as well. I've accumulated a LOT of stuff over years and years.

ENJOY! and put it to good use for a long time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Your a douche.....

In a jealous sense only, im hoping to sort out my own gym soon!
Post 6 IP   flag post
jaydiddy85 private msg quote post Address this user
I can only hope to have a home gym some day. Lucky you. This is what I think of when I think of my own gym ''the vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking.''
Post 7 IP   flag post
340742 7 7
destitute