Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
IntroductionProgress PicsProgress UpdateTeenage BodybuildingTraining Programs

Natural Bodybuilder Andrew Pardue's Log10989

SeahawkMuscle private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everybody! My name's Andrew Pardue. I'm a competitive natural bodybuilder, writer for MuscleFreaksNutrition.com, ACE Personal Trainer, member of Inside Natural Bodybuilding, as well as a student at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington.

Since I've began bodybuilding my passion for the sport as continually grown, I decided to begin updating my training/diet/progress as I continue in this industry and prepare for my next show over the next couple years of a growing season! I also hope to post links to the articles I write in case they may be able to help other people improve their own health and physique.
Post 1 IP   flag post
So about two weeks ago I began doing a Cross Progression workout program given to me by my coach Cliff Wilson. For a broad explanation it is a 3 days on, 1 day off program. There are two "cycles" that alternate every three workouts. Cycle 1 begins with low rep sets (2-6 reps) while Cycle 2 begins using a higher rep scheme (10-20 reps). Each week the reps during Cycle 1 rise closer and closer to the rep scheme of Cycle 2 (from 2-6 reps slowly up to 10-20 by week 6). The opposite happens during Cycle 2 as the reps begin to decrease with the weight changing accordingly.

I personally love this so far since I'm able to lift in all the rep ranges and reap benefits from the different types of hypertrophy they stimulate. The Cycle split goes like this (Chest/Arms), (Legs), (Back/Shoulders). Here's my workout from this morning to give everyone an idea!

Cycle 1 Chest/Arms

Barbell Bench Press 180 (4x4)
Smith Machine Incline Bench 165 (2x5,2x6)
Chest Fly 90 (4x6)
Barbell Curl 90 (2x4)
Smith Machine Close Grip Bench 205 (2x4)
Standing DB Curl 90 (2x6)
DB Skull Crusher 60 (1x5,1x6)
DB Hammer Curl 70 (1x10, 1x10)
Cable V Bar Pushdown 120 (1x5, 1x5)

So far I'm loving the 3 days on, 1 day off format. Having those days off versus training 5-6 days in a row has allowed me to come in to each workout with more energy and also allowed me to perform more foam rolling between leg workouts which I find helps a lot!
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@SeahawkMuscle Welcome. I also like a 3 day training split with varied rep range focuses. Will check out your log!
Post 3 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@SeahawkMuscle From Seattle area? Seahawks fan?

Put some pics in your profile and get an avi.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome!

Workout looks good! Reasearching something similar now!
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the boards. Wilmington's nice. There's a great fondue spot there called The Little Dipper. Ever been? -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
welcome to the forums man !
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12
@SeahawkMuscle Welcome. I also like a 3 day training split with varied rep range focuses. Will check out your log!

Thanks man, hope I can give some good input from time to time!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Welcome to the boards. Wilmington's nice. There's a great fondue spot there called The Little Dipper. Ever been? -3X

I actually haven't but I guess I should check it out!Just googled it and you bet that's my next celebration meal!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
@SeahawkMuscle From Seattle area? Seahawks fan?

Put some pics in your profile and get an avi.

It's actually just my college's mascot, UNCW. I started needing a username around the time I began school last fall so I've stuck with SeahawkMuscle ever since haha. I should have a few videos and pictures up soon!
Post 10 IP   flag post
July 23rd, 2013

First off I really appreciate the welcome from everyone as I start logging my growing season! Hope I can provide some good input in the coming months!

So today was the Cycle 1 Leg workout. A lot of basic movements which I really like. I should note that these reps aren't exactly what the program calls for, some are a little higher etc since I felt good today and got a few extra reps in some cases than what the program called for.

Legs Workout
Back Squats 225 x 4,4,4
Convential Deadlifts 275 x 5,5,5
Leg Extensions Stack x 6,6,7
RDL 225 x 6,6,7
Calf Raise on Leg Press 490 x 8,10,10

I've always been weakest in my squats even though my leg size has improved nicely since the beginning of this growing season. Always try and remind myself to just keep plugging away and focus on progressing from where I was.

Also as a member of Inside Natural Bodybuilding I get to meet up with natural bodybuilders and get interviews/training footage with them in order to create more exposure for the sport and give these athletes the attention they deserve! Here's one of my latest videos with new WNBF pro Cody Wyer, guy made me feel TINY! haha Great experience and great dude to talk bodybuilding with!

Post 11 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome man
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotian
Welcome man

Thanks man!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Tonight I uploaded my interview and training footage with IFPA pro bodybuilder, sponsored athlete, coach of Aesthetics Training and Nutrition, and friend RJ Perkins!

From time to time, as a member of Inside Natural Bodybuilding, I get to meet up with natural athletes and get some footage like this. This guy is truly the model for how natural athletes and coaches should be, honest, hard working, and has some true passion for the sport and helping others reach their goals. It was very motivating for a young person like me to get to know this guy and get some knowledge dropped on me. Anyone looking for a coach to help them either get ready for the stage or just improve their health and fitness should definitely check him out.

Post 14 IP   flag post
July 25th 2013

For the past 1 1/2 months my coach Cliff Wilson has had be on a mini cut. For the people that may not do this, we essentially lower calories a little and add a little cardio into my growing season plan in order to drop a few pounds to stay around my optimal growing season weight.

Before the mini cut my weight topped out at 190lbs. For a few weeks my body was being stubborn and didn't let go of the fat we expected. After a few more weeks of lowering calories slowly, we finally began adding calories back in for the last week or two. Strangely enough my body looses fat easier when calories are added back in after cutting. Today I weighed in around 185, a loss of 1.5lbs from last week, and will likely add more calories and drop the rest of my cardio from my plan. I was only doing (1) 8 minute session of HIT training per week but it's nice to be done with cardio for a while.

I can say personally doing these mini cuts every so often during a long growing season has been a great addition to my program. If done properly the mini cuts help drop a few pounds of fat that can accumulate when consuming the calories needed to grow, and doesn't create a loss in strength since they aren't severe cuts. My energy levels are better during the growing season now and my conditioning during high rep sets is a lot better. It's been proven again and again that excess weight gain during growing seasons isn't optimal for lean mass gains and can create an even harder prep when you're ready to compete again so I highly recommend them.

Anyway here's my workout from today. It was the Cycle 2 Chest/Arms day. Each pair of exercises is a superset which allows me to get a ton of blood flow in my working muscles to induce some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Chest/Arms Supersets

Barbell Bench 150x10,10,8
DB Bench 90x12,10 80x10

Incline DB Bench 70x15 80x14 90x12
Incline DB Fly 40x15,15, 15

Hammer Curl 70x10,10,10
Smith Machine Close Grip Bench 150x10,10,10

Incline DB Curl 40x12,12,12
DB Extenstion 50x12,12,11

Constant Tension DB Curl 40x15,15,15
Cable Tricep Pushdown 80x15,15,14
Post 15 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
So Jelly you get to hang with RJ!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Danimal_88 private msg quote post Address this user
@SeahawkMuscle I am currently in a mini cut as well, I went in on a more aggressive side looking to drop ~10lbs (200 -> 190) in 4-6 weeks. On track right now, current weight is 192.5 almost through week 4. I didnt add cardio during mine, just dont have time right now for the extra time at the gym.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
So Jelly you get to hang with RJ!

Luckily we only live about 2 hours apart so it's not too hard to meet up when I'm home from college! He's seriously such a cool dude!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal_88
@SeahawkMuscle I am currently in a mini cut as well, I went in on a more aggressive side looking to drop ~10lbs (200 -> 190) in 4-6 weeks. On track right now, current weight is 192.5 almost through week 4. I didnt add cardio during mine, just dont have time right now for the extra time at the gym.

That's a good idea to save time on the cardio though! Before starting with Team Wilson, my first off-season was the old school bulking style and looking back I'm like "what the heck was I thinking?" haha Staying a bit leaner year round has definitely helped plus I want to look like a bodybuilder all year, not a competitive eater haha Especially going to college at the coast.
Post 19 IP   flag post
My latest article just got posted on the Muscle Freaks Nutrition website! I still am very humbled and thrilled to be able to get paid for what I have such a huge passion for! The article covers some basic nutrition as well as eating healthy at restaurants and tracking food intake.

Much of it may be common knowledge for the bodybuilders and athletes on here but I wrote this in hopes that it can help people new to fitness in general that want to make positive changes in their health and appearance!

When I started I wanted as much information as I could in order to begin chasing my dreams and I always want to do my part in helping other people do the same thing. I ask that anyone who knows someone that may benefits from this would share the link so more people can begin reaching their goals! In no way do I know everything but I do hope to help others, if even in a small way. The formatting messed up a little but the information is still worth a read imo! Big thanks to my brother Taylor Pardue and coach Cliff Wilson for being my proof readers and editors!

clickable text
Post 20 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@SeahawkMuscle Article looks solid at a glance!

Too long to read it all atm, but I'll read it all later
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
@SeahawkMuscle Article looks solid at a glance!

Too long to read it all atm, but I'll read it all later

Much appreciated my man!
Post 22 IP   flag post
July 26 2013

Today's workout is easily one of the hardest workouts I've done. Leg days are already tough but this workout is both high reps and supersets which make it a battle to finish strong. While there are only a few exercises, the exercises I chose to use makes it a tough workout for me. Each pair of exercises is a superset.

Cycle 2 Leg Workout Week 2

Barbell Squats SS 160x10,10,11
DB Lunges 70x12,12,12

Hex Bar Dead Lift 255x12,12,12
Cable Glute Press 60x15,15,15

Calf Raise on Leg Press 220x18 230x16,16
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'll be covering the NPA Mr/Ms. North Carolina for Inside Natural Bodybuilding in Burlington today! Anyone that's a fan of natural bodybuilding be sure to watch out for footage and interviews throughout the weekend! We also have several others shows coming up that should make for some great videos!

INB Facebook Page:clickable text
Post 24 IP   flag post
Started the work week off right with my Cycle 1 Chest/Arms workout! I also decided to start including some of the notes I make during my workouts from time to time. For me it's good to right down when certain things occur so I can keep it in mind the next time I do the workout and don't make the same mistakes.

Cycle 1 Chest/Arms

Rest: 90-120 seconds

Barbell Bench Press 170x6,6,6,4(ugly set)

Smith Machine Incline Bench 165x6 155x7,7,7(great sets)

Flat DB Fly 90x8,8 80x8,8

Barbell Curl 85x6,6

Smith Machine Close Grip Bench 185x5, 175x5

DB Curl 90x6, 80x7 (good set)

DB Skull Crusher 60x7,6 (lower to 50 next week)

DB Hammer Curl 80x8,8

V Bar Cable Pushdown 100x8,8
Post 25 IP   flag post
simply_michael private msg quote post Address this user
very solid log ..thanks for the input on just curious u said " that the stubborn fat didn't leave" so you did cardio might I inquire how much cardio was done on ur mini cut ?

thanks
Post 26 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
he said in one of his updates that it was 1 8min HIIT session a week cardio.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_michael
very solid log ..thanks for the input on just curious u said " that the stubborn fat didn't leave" so you did cardio might I inquire how much cardio was done on ur mini cut ?

thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys!

For the cardio, at the peak of my mini-cut I was doing (2) 10 minutes MISS sessions and (1) 8 minute HIT Session. Since I have two years left in this growing season before I even think about hitting the stage again we didn't want to do anything too drastic but rather just wanted to lose a couple extra pounds since we've noticed my weight being closer to 185 has been a very optimal weight for me to make progress without becoming too fluffy. This week I got back to 185 gain so we dropped that last session of cardio out andI'm back to doing no cardio and slowly raising my calories back up a little more. My energy is great and my lifts are getting stronger while I'm at 185 so I'll likely keep it around here and slowly push my weight up as the months continue.
Post 28 IP   flag post
As far as my workout today went it was my Cycle 1 Leg session. I found myself having a tough time getting lose this morning so it took a little longer to get into the swing of it. I always warm up very thoroughly so days like today when I'm still tight can be a little annoying. However I eventually worked it out and finished strong. Some of my notes are included to give everyone an idea of how I try to regulate problems I'm having in order to prevent it next time.

Cycle 1 Legs Week 3

Barbell Squats 210x6,6,6 (hips tight until last set, review warm up.. Focus on bracing and keeping tension in glutes and hip flexors throughout set.)

Deadlifts 260x6,7,7 (touch and go > dead stop. Hit shins too often though.)

Leg Extension ~2:1:2 tempo Stackx7,7,7
(*Since I',m at the stack at my current gym and my reps haven't went up I now work on slowing down the tempo in order to still continue progressive overload)

RDL 225x8,8,8 (Amazing sets, great contractions, stayed tight throughout.)

Calf Raise on Leg Press 520x10,10,8
Post 29 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
In for this, welcome dude.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 228 30
destitute