Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

What do you think of this split?10906

Hiiibbbb private msg quote post Address this user
In a way I guess it's similar to PHAT but I think this will work better for me personally

The numbers are for reps and I will be using rest-pause on 4-8 days while just doing straight sets in higher rep days.

Legs(4-8)/back(8-12)/bis(8-12)/calves(8-15)
Chest(4-8)/tris(4-8)/shoulders(8-12)/traps(8-15)
HIIT cardio
Back(4-8)/bis(4-8)/legs(8-15)/calves(4-8)
Chest(8-12)/tris(8-12)/shoulders(4-8)/traps(4-8)
HIIT cardio

Ill be adding abs in whenever I feel them recovered and ready.

I'm going to be doing rather low volume as well not going over 16 sets for any given body part but since I give 3 days in between working the same body part I don't think I need to worry anyways.

What are your thoughts on this? I see most of you recommend routines but I like to experiment with my own.

My main concern is on the chest tri shoulder days if I should train all 4-8 one day and 8-12 on the next.

All suggestions welcome
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not enough detail on the actual structure of exercises, but in general, I'm not a fan. Do you understand the reasoning behind PHAT and the way it's set up? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
@eknight not exactly but as far as m exercises will go I don't want to type it all out in my phone :/. But I can tell you when i do 8-12 I'm keeping my sets about half as low than my strength days.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
My advice is to take the time t learn why PHAT is structured as it is, and then reevaluate your training methodology. I don't understand why you feel like your split will work "better for you." -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
@eknight my idea is just to be hitting more rep ranges and not giving any body part more than 3 days to rest.
I Probably shouldn't have compared directly to phat since the structure is completely different.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
OK, but WHY do you feel this is more beneficial? I'm not saying I disagree, but I think it's important to understand why you're training a particular way, not just going through the motions. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
@eknight I've seen great results with both 4-8 and 8-12 rep ranges but my strength doesn't progress as well with 8-12 and I don't gain as much muscle with 4-8. for the past 2 weeks I've been doing the higher weight and lower reps but I feel like my body can easily handle some light work as well. I plan to start that split today and bumping my calories up to compensate for the extra work.
Post 7 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Hiiibbbb Not a fan either... legs and back on the same day if u've done them separately u'll know can put an awful amount of strain on lower back sometimes... i think that would be TOO much.
Notoriously calves don't respond to low rep ranges only high as they can take a huge amount of punishment.
How long are u lifting ??
Post 8 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi it depends I'm usually in the gym at least an hour though. I'm only going to hit lower back on my heavy back day with deadlifts btw. Also my calves respond well to high weight.
Post 9 IP   flag post
And like I said when I do the lighter lifts ill only do a few sets. Like for arms probably only like 4-5 sets of one exercise. Shoulders and chest will be the only ones getting more sets because they are lagging. That's the main reason I'm trying this routine
Post 10 IP   flag post
I mean I know this would t be overtraining for me and I thought the additional rep ranges would just inspire more growth if anything while keeping my strength progressing.

Am I wrong for thinking this? I personally don't see any negatives.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I guess my question is: why not just run an established routine like PHAT? -3X
Post 12 IP   flag post
@eknight I don't like the exercises they provide and dont want to rearrange them, fucking it all up
I'm all about proportion and I figure no one can make a routine Taylored to my needs like I can.

But can you explain what's wrong with my split so I can critique it?
Post 13 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiibbbb
@eknight I don't like the exercises they provide and dont want to rearrange them, fucking it all up
I'm all about proportion and I figure no one can make a routine Taylored to my needs like I can.

But can you explain what's wrong with my split so I can critique it?

Thats why you change one or two exercises, not try to come up with your own routine.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@NorIda but then no more routines would enter the world of bodybuilding. Experimentation is and will always be the future
Post 15 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Aside from the fact that you haven't provided any actual exercises, doing back and legs together on a hypertrophy split isn't something I would advise. I don't follow you on "@eknight I don't like the exercises they provide and dont want to rearrange them, fucking it all up" The exercises can be changed out. -3X
Post 16 IP   flag post
@eknight the back and legs are the only thing in weary on too but when I do hypertrophy legs on back day ill only be doing like 5 sets of some form of squat and the other way around ill only do 5 sets of rows and 5 sets of lat pull down or pull ups
Post 17 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
And to me that's a problem. You're short-changing yourself on one body part each day.

I just don't get why people who haven't accomplished anything in the sport of bodybuilding look at a routine made by a natural pro- and a champion at that- and say, "nope, not for me." Would you tell a MLB pitcher how to improve his fastball or curve, or would you listen to his advice? -3X
Post 18 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Hiiibbbb So the only thing ur wary of is 50% of ur program.
U opened this thread for thoughts on ur workout, seems like ur dead set on doing it no matter what so why make the thread in the first place ??
Post 19 IP   flag post
@FiremanSi to get opinions.. To see if anyone else has tried something similar to it.

I'm honestly not hat worried about back/legs. I just have never tried it before but my back and legs have a lot of endurance from working construction so I think ill be straight
Post 20 IP   flag post
@eknight I'm guessing you've never ran your own routine and have had success?
Post 21 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiibbbb
@eknight I'm guessing you've never ran your own routine and have had success?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/modified-westside-barbell-strength-workout.html

You should probably learn who you're talking to before you become a smartass

=)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Smart ass? Lol

I'm only being suggested written routines rather than helped devise my own. I'm sure I'd make progress with phat but isn't it personal preference? I don't like the way the sets and rep are set up in it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
But you already admitted you don't fully understand why they're set up that way. So....logic?

I had YEARS of training under my belt before I started creating my own routines. -3X
Post 24 IP   flag post
@eknight yea your right no doubt and damn impressive bench for your body weight btw.
Im Miring lol

But I'm going to run with it. I just left the gym from thy first day and I have to say it was intense as fuck. My back and bis were pumping hard from doing them heavy 3 days ago. I only did 9 sets for back ( 3 same exercises i did on other back day) and 3 sets for bis.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@eknight also the main thing I don't understand are the speed sets. It seems like those wouldn't be very taxing at all. Are they just intended to help you be more explosive on your heavy days?
Post 26 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
They're a form of conjugate method training. The amount of force your body can produce is based on how much weight you move and how fast you're moving it (literally, force= mass x acceleration). You can't consistently handle heavy enough weight to reach failure at 3-5 reps multiple times a week. Your joints and CNS will fatigue to quickly to allow sustained progress with that approach, so, you lighten the weight and speed up the reps. -3X
Post 27 IP   flag post
@eknight alright so say instead of the 8-12s I change those to speed sets. Would this be more beneficial? And can I do speed sets on any exercise or should it focus on compounds?
Post 28 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
I would only do them once per week, using one upper body movement and one lower body movement. -3X
Post 29 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
its total garbage
Post 30 IP   flag post
340738 36 30
destitute