Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestNewbiePlateau Busting

Dumbbell Press Help10836

Iwanttobebig private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, I am currently stuck on my dumbbell presses and I am open to suggestions and tips on how I can move up on weight again.

I'm 16, 68kgs and have been dumbbell pressing 17.5kgs for the last 3 weeks and want to move up to 20 but I can't.
Post 1 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
1. Make sure you're on a calorie surplus (bulking).

2. Switch to barbell bench press.

3. Work on your form (tons of good videos on YouTube). You can also post a vid here for feedback.

4. Establish your 1RM.

5. Construct your split so there is a power day and a speed/dynamic day. On power days, I would do 5x5 with a gradual build up to 85% of your 1RM. On speed days I would do 50-60% of your 1RM for 3 sets of 8 reps. Move the bar as fast/explosively as possible; lift it as if it were much heavier.

6. Supplement with tons of tricep and lat work. Tris and lats are probably more important than chest in the bench.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Iwanttobebig private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the reply mikew. I'll take your tip and focus more on tricep and Lat development.
Post 3 IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@Iwanttobebig the most important item in that list is #1 (cal surplus, with decent macros obviously). This will allow you to progress faster. Otherwise you'll just be spinning your wheels.

One plateau busting strategy is to take a week off (deload week) but it's to imagine your body is that fried since you're just starting out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
J_Stamp24 private msg quote post Address this user
I used the 5x5 on DB Bench and once I could do something for 5x5, the next workout I'd add in a set of a weight 5 lbs higher. Then the next workout 2 sets of that higher weight and so on until a new 5x5 record was established.
Post 5 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanttobebig
Hey guys, I am currently stuck on my dumbbell presses and I am open to suggestions and tips on how I can move up on weight again.

I'm 16, 68kgs and have been dumbbell pressing 17.5kgs for the last 3 weeks and want to move up to 20 but I can't.

You're 16. 3 weeks is nothing and a jump from 17.5 kilograms to 20 kilograms is relatively big.

Be patient. Don't get discouraged. Keep working out. Also, if you can, drink more milk.
Post 6 IP   flag post
340752 6 6
destitute