Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestIntroductionSplit Advice

Chest workout advice?10745

jakeecho private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys, just some quick background on me before my question .

- New to this forum but have been working out for 2 years (almost 3).

- I'm Asian, got alot bigger these past 2 years. Never had a personal trainer, learned all workouts through online videos and friends' advice.

- Never hurt myself working out before, I never push myself to extreme limits.

Problem: A personal trainer at my gym actually noticed (he was trying to do sales but he had a good point). He told me to look at myself in the mirror and we both see that I'm becoming more and more like a "Gorilla". my back and shoulders are so well developed and EVEN THOUGH Chest is my FAVORITE workout, my chest is smaller than what it should be (bearing in mind I worked on it for 2 years, from 35lb each arm BB to 85 each arm).

He watched me workuot for a while and told me I'm using too much of my shoulder/trap and therefore the muscles there are getting so big and the MIDDLE of my chest is very small compared to my outer pecs.

Any advice? Should I switch from Barbell to Bench pressing? I never flex during my workouts, should I start contracting? any help is appreciated

Thank you sorry for long post!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Oh and I forgot to add:

I do do inclines and incline flies and stuff but all with barbells, so I guess I'm really asking should I switch to benching for bigger mass for chest? (especially the middle, my outer pecs are fine)
Post 2 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Firstly, it is very common for some people to bench and use more tricep and shoulder than actual chest.

You can do a few things to avoid this. Learn to tuck your shoulders back - shoulder blades back and down, and slowly learn how to make it a chest dominant movement. One awesome trick is to use a barbell (flat is probably best or decline. But I wouldn't suggest incline as you may be more likely to use shoulder instead of chest) and try and squeeze the bar together. By concentrating on squeezing the bar together (hands obviously don't move), you put more tension on the chest. You won't be able to lift as much, but you will get better chest stimulation.

Other things to try. Start your routine with flyers - and drop back on the weights and really focus on a slow full movement without cheating (IE: losing the real range of motion you should have for a fly movement by going to heavy, thus bringing your shoulders and tri's more into play)

Slow controlled negatives (4 seconds), also really help to keep the focus on the intended muscle.

Hope this a helps a bit!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hi Brian! That DEFINITELY helped. I just needed to read/hear something like that.

That was pretty much the problem the trainer described, the chest that meets my shoulders (outer chest) is fine he said, but my "inner" chest muscle is sadly a lot smaller, making me LACK the muscular chest out look.

I'll definitely drop back on weights and try this out. On that note, should I eat less as well to avoid building up fat? I was thinking about dieting anyways. Low carb diet. Carbs for breakfast/lunch, no carbs for dinner

(i work out right before dinner)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
@jakeecho used to have the same problem with chest =). this video sums it up pretty well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXzH82Emjqw

and search the forums about diet advice, calculate your TDEE and macros. Don't be affraid of carbs. excess calories makes you fat not carbs
Post 5 IP   flag post
AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
Watch some of the techniques Kai uses here. I don't usually advocate IFBB advice but this really works.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Aite thanks a bunch everyone! This forum rocks...the personal trainer's sales pitch was "yea so give me 1000usd this month and i'll help you improve your technique".....
Post 7 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
@jakeecho DONT eat less carbs. Carbs do not make you fat!! That is old bro science. You gain or lose weight by being in a calorie surplus or deficit.

Eat at a ratio of 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fat). If you are not new to training then you won't build muscle in a deficit/dieting. But if you are over the 15% BF mark, then nothing wrong with cutting down to 10-12% and then start your bulk again. I'm not sure how much fat you are currently holding, so I cant give a direct answer.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Devil82 Thanks! That video pretty much sums up what I wanted to know haha

@AustralianOak What exactly is Kai?

@brian12 Sweet got it. I think i got somewhere around 15% body fat. If i flex my abs you can see the outline, but there is definitely fat around my stomach area and sides.

@Everyone In general:

So i got a pretty bad confession.... I don't do legs much...(yea i know. I'm pretty much a glory muscle guy, upper body etc etc.)

I KNOW that's bad, I'm starting now actually. So I think I'll start off with machines and then move on to squats.

How many sets/reps for those? Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@jakeecho, go straight to squat imo, start with only the bar and work in you technique.

and reading between the lines here I'll also make an guess that you need more pull, since this "gorilla" look also means you have to much push and to little pull.

stand in neutral position with your arms to your side, do you palm point a bit backwards? then you need to add alot more pull
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Devil82 Just tried that but nah, my palms point towards my sides so i guess im not THAT bad...yet. also what is push/pull? haha
Post 11 IP   flag post
@jakechoo push is all pushing movements, like benchpress, millitary press, pull is pullups rows and such. Most people on SS would advice a 2:1 ration between pull and push
Post 12 IP   flag post
AustralianOak private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry man - this vid: http://www.flexonline.com/training/train-kai-greene/exclusive-train-chest-kai-greene
Post 13 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
I've switch to decline i find its more chest involvement less tri's and front delts.
Post 14 IP   flag post
340609 14 14
destitute