Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CuttingPhysiqueSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Cutting and strength10682

zogger private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone,

So I've started cutting a while ago, and the results are good, lost fat and kept almost all the muscle mass after bulking phase.
Now the question is about changing my workout a bit.
I'm thinking of gaining some strength . I know it's not possible to gain muscle while cutting , but what about gaining some strength? I thought i would change the major exercises like bench,squat and deadlift for strength( you know low reps and more rest between sets) and the rest exercises remain as usual with lowering the reps while adding some weight.

thoughts please? is it possible?
Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Run Westside Barbell on your cut. You'll be fine. I'm currently doing just that. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
In case you want the WSBB, here is eknights version

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/modified-westside-barbell-strength-workout.html
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks will check it out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
But also the question is will i maintain the muscle with this workout?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
Will always loose some size with a cut, but optimally you will maintain strength, or you are cutting to low
Post 6 IP   flag post
I know i will lose "some" but it depends on the amount of this "some" .will it be the same if i continue on hypertrophy based training or i will lose more muscle on WSBB?thx
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger
But also the question is will i maintain the muscle with this workout?

That's not what you asked to start with. You asked if you could gain strength. Anytime you cut, you run the risk of losing some lean body mass. Make your cut slow and efficient and you can minimalized muscle loss. The routine won't matter- it's all about your diet. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yeah it was an additional question )
Post 9 IP   flag post
craig private msg quote post Address this user
I've lost a stone so far on my cut, it's taken me 14 weeks but I've lost a lot of fat and kept most of my muscle, I've even improved my numbers on certain lifts. I'm now doing 10 weeks on Brandon lillys 'the cube method' and hoping to gain a fair bit of strength whilst still cutting and maintaining muscle.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340737 10 10
destitute