Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsPHATSquatsTraining Programs

Paused/Box squats in PHAT?10611

barrylol private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone had any luck with paused squats or box squats on lower power day?

Proper paused squat:
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Strong hip thrusts on that there incline.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorIda
Strong hip thrusts on that there incline.

Speed incline brah, not me, but the guy is pretty powerful :>
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing how "powerful" some guys become when their form is for shit. That's not anywhere near effective speed work, either. Guy's squat and dead are impressive. From the waist up, not so much.

To answer the original question, I've done box but not paused squats on PHAT. I get why you'd pause your bench in training, but pausing squats I don't understand. -3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Amazing how "powerful" some guys become when their form is for shit. That's not anywhere near effective speed work, either. Guy's squat and dead are impressive. From the waist up, not so much.

To answer the original question, I've done box but not paused squats on PHAT. I get why you'd pause your bench in training, but pausing squats I don't understand. -3X

Guy has 200+ kg bench as well. Used to have a pretty sick channel, but it's all gone now and all I managed to find was that video.

As a highbar squatter, I just don't see why box squats would have a better carry-over then paused squat. I guess I'll just have to try and see what is better.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Eh....200 kg isn't that impressive unless you're under 165, lol.

Box squats ensure depth. No one gets red-lighted in a meet for not pausing a squat, but the number one reason for reds is depth. -3X
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Eh....200 kg isn't that impressive unless you're under 165, lol.

Box squats ensure depth. No one gets red-lighted in a meet for not pausing a squat, but the number one reason for reds is depth. -3X

I'm pretty sure the use of box squats is to learn to recruit the right motor units for low bar squat and not to use it as a "bouncing pad".

You have to sit back, deload the quads and go back up.

For bodybuilding and highbar squat, is it really that useful to take the tension of the quads? Shouldn't I rather keep it on them and pause the reps in the bottom?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Who said anything about a bouncing pad? The box is there for depth. Louis Simmons 3 reasons for box squatting:

* Enforce Proper Technique. You can't cheat depth and you learn to sit back by moving your hips first. Box Squats also improve hip mobility.
* Develop Hip Power. Box Squats have you start from a dead stop in the bottom position. This develops a strong, explosive posterior chain.
* Safer. Rounding the lower back on Squats is common. While you still can do it on Box Squats, it's much harder and often goes away faster.

-3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
340762 8 8
destitute