Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
PHATSplit Advice

Phat questions..GTFIH10584

lift4life private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys ive been following laynenortons Phat for a little while now and was just curious with a few things he included. I changed it around a bit to suit myself.

with the hypertrophy day back/shoulders and lower body he suggests the following:

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day
Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats
6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max

Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows
6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max

why has he done 6 sets of 3 reps for the squat & row rather than the normal 3 sets of 8-10 reps. why has he added so much volume to the exercise and what is the difference between the two methods? What would the usual resting time be between each set of 3 reps?

With some of his other exercise he suggests such high rep ranges. i have never been taught to do such high rep ranges such as 2 sets of 15-20 reps (Close grip pulldowns) i usually only do between 8-10 reps with 3 sets

His routine is here at clickable text

Thanks
Lift4life
Post 1 IP   flag post
_RudeCrew private msg quote post Address this user
Those 6 sets of 3 reps are supposed to be explosive. Work on speed. It will help a lot in the long run
Post 2 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
^^this. -3X
Post 3 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew Is this the explosive side your talking about?

Post 4 IP   flag post
No. Speed work should be done at 50-70% of your 1rm. It should be easy to explode up with.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RudeCrew
No. Speed work should be done at 50-70% of your 1rm. It should be easy to explode up with.
aw tru sounds easy just worried i might snapp some shit up. im normally a really slow and controlled formed guy i think it might take a while to addapt to these new conditions lol
Post 6 IP   flag post
@_RudeCrew what are the advantages of doing this explosive 3rep 6sets and if i changed it to the usual 3 sets of 8-10 reps what would that change?

cheers
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
The advantage is better CNS adaptation and HIIT strength, which carries over to your heavier movements. Force = mass x acceleration. You can't always go all out heavy- your joints and nervous system will not let you. Using light weight but increased speed allows you to exert the same force without the CNS fatigue and joint stress. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
Read the article again, he explains it there but basically force=mass x acceleration

So if you reduce the mass and increase the accelerations you still end up with the same amount of force. So it allows your muscles to exert similar amounts of force to lifting heavy with lighter weight...

It also helps train your cns to develop this explosive strength and have it carry over when you do go to lift heavy
Post 9 IP   flag post
Damn was out typed :p

What ek said :p
Post 10 IP   flag post
@eknight @Swift haha that's awesome that makes allot of sense im study engineering so im surprised he used the concept of newtons second law to explain the reasoning behind that.

As far as rest time between each set how much time would you need?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Haha weight lifting is physics!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
The advantage is better CNS adaptation and HIIT strength, which carries over to your heavier movements. Force = mass x acceleration. You can't always go all out heavy- your joints and nervous system will not let you. Using light weight but increased speed allows you to exert the same force without the CNS fatigue and joint stress. -3X

This!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@lift4life I usually keep my rest time pretty low.
Post 14 IP   flag post
well i guess when i wasnt doing explosive i was increasing the volume so i guess it was still good in a way lol im about to try this now wish me luck guys thanks heaps..

Lift4life
Post 15 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck!

I enjoy explosive training, need it due to boxing, try and increase my hand speed etc!
Post 16 IP   flag post
340733 16 16
destitute