Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Time under tension, reps vs tempo10566

mastamuffin private msg quote post Address this user
From what I understand in my pea sized brain, the main important factors of muscle hypertrophy is progressive overload and time under tension. Now I've been following the MI40 style of training for a few weeks, which emphasizes slow reps (4 sec neg, 1 sec positive) to create a long time under tension, but the reps are kept around 8 with that tempo. My question is, is this better, worse, or different than having a more average tempo (think controlled 1-2 sec neg 1 sec pos)and doing higher reps?

Mathematically you can create the same length of sets using these 2 different tempo styles, just wonder what everyones opinions of it was.
Post 1 IP   flag post
OhhLoLo private msg quote post Address this user
I just pick up heavy shit and put it down.

//works for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhhLoLo
I just pick up heavy shit and put it down.

//works for me.

This. haha.

Well, I do this for my main lifts (squats and dead lifts). Everything else I use some type of time under tension method or rest pause or drop set.
Post 3 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamuffin
From what I understand in my pea sized brain, the main important factors of muscle hypertrophy is progressive overload and time under tension. Now I've been following the MI40 style of training for a few weeks, which emphasizes slow reps (4 sec neg, 1 sec positive) to create a long time under tension, but the reps are kept around 8 with that tempo. My question is, is this better, worse, or different than having a more average tempo (think controlled 1-2 sec neg 1 sec pos)and doing higher reps?

Mathematically you can create the same length of sets using these 2 different tempo styles, just wonder what everyones opinions of it was.
IMO.. I prefer doing this. if your doing slow negatives, time under tension and hypertrophy. I prefer doing high reps to stress your muscle. Because If im gonna do low reps and heavy weight, i will be thinking of putting more weight and test my PR than worrying about hypertrophy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Massthetics private msg quote post Address this user
@mastamuffin it horse poo,

i followed this from like 15yrs - 18yrs cos my pe teacher told me about this and pushed his theories worse than a jehovahs witness.

just focus on compound exercise and carry a workout diary, so the next week you go more reps or heavier weight.

and of course, make sure your diet is sharper than a knife.
Post 5 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Same thing if u change up the rep range to higher... according to that MI40 program ur just aiming for a time of 40-70secs to hit a stage of Hypertrophy.
After that it becomes endurance training...

so
8reps at (4-0-1)
10reps at tempo (3-0-1)
12reps at tempo (2-1-1)
15reps at tempo (2-0-1)
You get the point.
Post 6 IP   flag post
340740 6 6
destitute