Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BroscienceLOLMisc.

Ridiculous Broscience Claims10496

bunter225 private msg quote post Address this user
I was bored at work today and was just thinking about random broscience claims and I thought it might be fun to make some crazy claims that are almost believable.

A couple I thought of;
- Consume all your daily cals before 3pm to esure you burn all you have eaten that day, anything after 3pm is stored as pure fat.
- Chew gum to tone your jaw muscles.

A bit stupid but could be fun, post your own!
Post 1 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Wear high-heeled shoes regularly to increase calf size
Post 2 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much anything Greg Plitt Ever says

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/3813/page/1/greg-plitt-fails/
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
1. "When you get old, all the muscle will turn to fat." Seriously hear this one once every few weeks. Your body can not change the compostion of its cells. That's like changing bone to hair. Not going to happen.

2. Eating smaller meals several times a day "boosts" you metabolism. The clinical literature does not support this. Likewise, eating breakfast does not "boost" metabolic function, and eating late at night will not cause you to gain weight. As long as you're eating within your basal metabolic rate (BMR), you're not going to gain fat based on meal frequency or timing, barring some outlying medical condition.

3. Carbs make you fat. Uh, no. Calories make you fat- specifically too many of them. Look no further than Mark Haub or Chris Voigt, who ate mostly Twinkies and potatoes, respectively, for a month, but stayed under their BMR, and not only lost fat but drastically improved their blood lipid profiles.

4. Incline bench press works your "upper chest" and leg raises work your "lower abs." EMG studies show these things to be fallacies, mainly because a muscle can not contract preferentially- it either shortens from point of origin to point of insertion all the way or not at all. The funniest part of this one is the "lower abs" myth, since your abs connect to your pelvis, not your femurs, so any leg movement has nothing to do with them at all, but instead your Iliopsoas (the 3 muscles making up the hip flexors) which run from the lower spine and attach to the legs. Because they run deep to the abs, people associate the "burn" they feel doing leg raises with their abs, but they're actually working their hip flexors.

5. High protein diets cause kidney failure. No clinical evidence supports this for people with normal renal function.

6. Replacing muscle with fat will boost your metabolism. This one is true- but with the caveat that it will only make a very negligible difference. Remember BMR? It's based on body weight (along with height, age, and gender), not body fat or lean mass. A pound of muscle, at rest, burns about six calories per day; a pound of fat burns about two. So if you replace 20 pounds of fat with 20 pounds of muscle (about a year's worth of steady, intense weight training and correct nutrition), your metabolic rate has increased a whopping 80 calories a day. That's not to say that strength training isn't important- but it's not going to cause some sort of metabolic overhaul, as many believe.

-3X
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hamer93 private msg quote post Address this user
Drink all your daily fluids in a shaker bottle to ensure optimum testosterone production.

Taking a multi vit will make you loose weight
Post 5 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Drink hot sauce, wear a hoodie and turn off the AC to ramp up thermogenesis and burn fat
Post 6 IP   flag post
Elminister private msg quote post Address this user
Regular stuff I hear from the bros in my gym:

1. Creatine mid workout to 'regain strength'. Also, cycling creatine is a must. Taking 20g of creatine first week and then 10g for 3 weeks is ok. But when I tell them I'm taking 5g each day without ever stopping, bros try to convince me it's going to destroy my kidneys, massacre my liver and pillage my family.

2. ATG squats are bad for knees. People in my gym don't even go this low:

In fact, certified trainer is teaching people to do such squats.

3. Deadlifts are just bad. Don't do deadlifts.

I'll post more tomorrow. Must. Get. Some. Sleep.
Post 7 IP   flag post
4real private msg quote post Address this user
Casien shake befor bed or you loose all your gains . If this were true id be dead lol.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Squating makes you short
Post 9 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter225
Squating makes you short

That explains it! -3X
Post 10 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
I tried doing skull crushers on decline like Dom mentions in one of his broscience vids and I swear I felt a deeper contraction in the Tris
Post 11 IP   flag post
IrishGymSheep private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal

My calves were shit before I became a TS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal

hey hey, it may not increase calf size, but heels sure do make your legs look damn good
Post 13 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@oceanair OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! -3X
Post 14 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter225
I was bored at work today and was just thinking about random broscience claims and I thought it might be fun to make some crazy claims that are almost believable.

A couple I thought of;
- Consume all your daily cals before 3pm to esure you burn all you have eaten that day, anything after 3pm is stored as pure fat.
- Chew gum to tone your jaw muscles.

A bit stupid but could be fun, post your own!

Actually, that's intermittent fasting. It actually can work. By stopping eating at 3, and assuming you don't eat again until at least 7 AM the next day, you in effect fasted for 16 hours.
Post 15 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Squatting heavy improves your bench press and helps your chest grow.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Massthetics private msg quote post Address this user
'deadlifts are back for your lower back'

mutherphucka just STFU
Post 17 IP   flag post
brian12 private msg quote post Address this user
Never eat carbs and fat in the same meal - or you will get fat
Post 18 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Phat can make you fat.. Because it sounds the same.. Hehe
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
squatting doesnt make you gain chest.. But if you gain strength on squatting. Most likely it will also increase your upper body strength. Particularly bench.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Calories from drinks arent absorbed because they are in a liquid they just pass straight through your system without stopping
Post 21 IP   flag post
Massthetics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
Quote:
squatting doesnt make you gain chest.. But if you gain strength on squatting. Most likely it will also increase your upper body strength. Particularly bench.

dude you pretty much just said:

squatting doesnt make your chest big, but it does make your chest big

haha
Post 22 IP   flag post
Trev182 private msg quote post Address this user
Protein is bad for you
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thor private msg quote post Address this user
"That physique is attainable natty"
Post 24 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
Jeff said is natty :p

If you eat foods lighter in weight you won't gain as much weight

To gain muscle and lose fat you have to have a 90p/5c/5f split

Mixing creatine in deep heat and rubbing it all over your muscles makes the creatine get into the muscles and give it mad gainz

This one I legit heard the other day by some roid using 60yr old who still thinks he lives in the 80's and is the shit
- "smith machine bench is the best exercise for chest development because it takes away the use of all the other stabiliZing muscles so it's just your chest hitting it. So instead of the bar getting off balance and using other muscles, you just push the bar with your pecs"
- degree in bro science majoring in retard
Post 25 IP   flag post
simongower private msg quote post Address this user
Protein shakes are steroids! If you want to be natty, don’t touch them!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massthetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrivs49
Quote:

dude you pretty much just said:

squatting doesnt make your chest big, but it does make your chest big

haha
Squatting increases your chest press strength. Strength you gain in chest press makes you big and not the squat itself.. thats what im pointing out.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
@jonrivs49 ok I'll bite. How does squatting increase benh press strength to any noticeable degree? -3X
Post 28 IP   flag post
squat is a whole body exercise. it helps you build core strength, stability and also enhance your nervous system. Core strength and good foundation helps you increase strength in different area in the body.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
While I'd say that's true, the carryover to bench pressing more is minimal at best. -3X
Post 30 IP   flag post
340630 43 30
destitute