Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
BulkingSplit AdviceTraining Programs

4 or 5 day split?10447

BornToLift private msg quote post Address this user
I am currently following a 5 day split, and have been doing so for over a year. The split is:

Sunday - Chest
Monday - Back, Calves
Tuesday - Shoulders
Wednesday - Arms (Plus a bit of strength work)
Thursday - Legs
Fri + Sat - Rest
I do Ab work on sunday, tuesday and thursday

I have been following this split for a long time, but I have been changing up my training methods each month. For example, at the moment I am perfroming 12 reps on each exercise along with more supersets and drop sets involved, and previously I have done a month of 10 reps with 3 seconds on the negative part of the rep (more time under tension) and I have also done a month of not training to failure (which actually increased my strength very dramatically).

After the next 3 weeks, I am debating whether to keep the same split (although if I do, I will be placing a rest day inbetween back and shoulders because I want to feel fresh for my shoulder workout as I want to improve them a lot), or go down to a four day split and follow:

Sunday - Chest
Monday - Back, Biceps
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Shoulders, Triceps (or triceps on chest day)
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Legs
Saturday - Rest

My understanding is that a 4 day split for bulking could be more beneficial as your body has more time to rest and grown. However, I am 19 years old and full of energy, and so think that maybe I am okay with a 5 day split as I have never really felt fatigued or run down by it and my strength and size is going up.

So as I said, I have been following a 5 day split for over a year but have been changing my training methods. This has been working for me, so should I continue to follow this training split and continue to change things up every month, or should I go to a 4 day split to allow more time to grow and less chance of over training? Like I said, I've gained strength and size on my 5 day split, but am curious as to whether or not im likely to see greater gains on a 4 day split?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
weight? length?
how much u:

squat
bench
deadlift
Post 2 IP   flag post
I am 5ft 10 (177cm)
I currently weight 77kg/170lbs as I'm cutting
at the end of my bulk I weighed 80kg/176lbs

I haven't ever done my 1 rep max for squats, but I do 110kg/242lbs for 4 sets of 10 fairly comfortably

My deadlift max is 180kg/397lbs

My Bench max is 115kg/254lbs
Post 3 IP   flag post
Devil82 private msg quote post Address this user
thats pretty solid dude, why change anything if it works that well? if you wanna cut back on days just do it, as long as u are still hitting the main compounds.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Whichever one you choose, I would strongly advise not changing things monthly- run a routine 8-10 weeks before you tinker with it, and drop the drop- and supersets. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight Could you elaborate a little bit on why I should run a routine for 8-10 weeks and drop drop and supersets?
Post 6 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToLift
@eknight Could you elaborate a little bit on why I should run a routine for 8-10 weeks and drop drop and supersets?

I think that's a good question.
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Neurologic adaptation for maximal muscle fiber recruitment takes that long. If you change what you're doing evey 4 weeks, you're never going to reach maximum growth potential. When you workout, your brain sends a signal down a nueral pathway telling your body, "there's stress being placed on this area, so we need to recruit enough muscle fiber to handle it." You will continue to recruit more and more fiber with each week, because your body would rather distribute the load over many fibers instead of stressing only a few. This takes time though- as I mentioned 8-10 weeks for most folks- before your results start to plateau.

Re. Drop and supersets, IMO, they're a pointless holdover of bodybuilding ideology of the 1970s. If you have enough energy left to drop weight and keep repping, you didn't work hard enough in the first place and should have gone heavier. If you're doing a superset, there's now way your second exercise is going to get the same effort as your first, so you're cheating yourself.

These "extreme" techniques are silly over thinking. You can't confuse a muscle; you can't trick it into growth. Lift heavy. Eat right. Rest well. Don't overcomplicate things. -3X
Post 8 IP   flag post
@eknight Thanks a lot I will take what you have said on board!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
It's interesting Ek, I don't necessarily disagree with what you say, but my 2 cents on drop sets and super sets are different.
In the past I've done drop sets because I thought they were fun.
I do super sets because they save time.
Just my 2 cents.
Post 10 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
I like my drop sets though (for certain exercises)! :/
Post 11 IP   flag post
340738 11 11
destitute