Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbiePHATSplit AdviceTraining Programs

Help me, I am tall!10439

Stack87 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey shredders, I have been training for a few years now with different goals depending on the phase of my life. High school and college football obviously motivated me towards strength and explosiveness and more recently I have been training with hypertrophy in mind. (Last year and a half or so) I have tried different training routines i.e. PHAT, GVT, typical bodybuilding splits with high volume and I continue to fall short in appearance. Does anyone have any advice for lifters 6'3 and over? I know rome wasnt built in a day and I realize a built physique cannot be built in a matter of one year of dedicated training but what are some things I can do to swing things in my favor. Cant wait to hear some of the input.

Where I particularly see trouble is my chest and triceps. I dont have massive biceps or back but in proportion to the rest of my body I am pleased with my lats and biceps right now.

Stats:
23 years old
6'3
~185lbs

Current Macros:
Fat ~75g
Carb ~300g
Protein ~200g

Currently using PHAT
Not in a bulk or cut, just trying to get everything in order and maybe establish a solid baseline. Learn what works for my body.
Post 1 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
Just be patient. Think how much better your physique will eventually be than some 5'6 manlet. ( I am also 6'3)

Also Semper Fi brother
Post 2 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeHands
Just be patient. Think how much better your physique will eventually be than some 5'6 manlet. ( I am also 6'3)

Also Semper Fi brother

Post 3 IP   flag post
I have started searching around to see what may assist tall individuals develop more. I have come across people saying not to do barbell squats (which I actually love doing) because our posterior chain cant handle going that far with ROM. I have also seen youtube videos telling tall people to always use complete range of motion and not use cheat or partial reps like the shorter lifters can use. I am just kind of stuck in this same 185lb plateau I have been in for about a year and a half. I know in order to grow I need to eat more so that is something I can easily fix. I can bump the carbs up 50g or so and manipulate the fat to keep it at 20% of total macros. I guess I am just looking for training advice, tips, hints, anything that might spark a little muscular development in my body.
Post 4 IP   flag post
AverageJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRorhrbac0808
Quote:

Also Semper Fi brother

*strike to the heaaaarrrttt*
Post 5 IP   flag post
tamere01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Also Semper Fi brother

I feel your pain bro!
Post 6 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
I'm your same age and height. But 205 lbs. Training seriously for about 3 years. I don't really have any advice except eat food. Oh yea and I can't squat either. My knees are shot. We're all gonna make it brah
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thedude67 private msg quote post Address this user
6' 3" here too...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Scotian private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Also Semper Fi brother

Assholes
Post 9 IP   flag post
Rand private msg quote post Address this user
I seriouly loled so much in this thread.
Post 10 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
How are your shoulders?

My hunch is that your back needs to be much bigger for you to be satisfied with your chest.

That's my advice.

Be patient. Work on strength. I believe that if you can military press your weight, you won't have any complaints with the size of your triceps or chest anymore and overall strength will be much better.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I can't quite shoulder press my body weight. I do train for strength two days a week as part of layne norton's PHAT program. I db shoulder pressed 70lb dbs 3x yesterday so about 40 lbs shy of my bodyweight.
Post 12 IP   flag post
What I'm looking for is maybe some recommendations from tall lifters. What has worked best? High volume, negatives, power lifting, cheat reps, full range of motion, ext.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm tall and I've got really long arms so I feel that makes pressing a lot more difficult.

I read something a while back by Dan John that once you reach the ability to bench your weight 10 times or shoulder press your weight, then it's like you flip some switch and size gains start coming faster.

I see your stats and I remember graduating from college, the same height as you and 15 pounds heavier. Everyone, including myself, still thought of me as painfully skinny at that weight.

When you are tall it is much harder to be viewed as big.

Honestly, I feel like it is a losing battle. This is part of the reason I find it more satisfying to train for strength gains, not aesthetics or size.

Still, since I've been focusing on increasing shoulder press strength I feel like my chest looks bigger and fuller and my shoulders are also bigger.

I hope this helps. I feel like I've only given you a pessimistic perspective but that's my two cents.
Post 14 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
As a member of the 6'4 200+ club I will add my two cents on what works best for me when trying to gain:

4,000cals, 50% carbs.

and

Deadlifts, squats, weighted pulls.
Post 15 IP   flag post
AarronStenner private msg quote post Address this user
who ever said tall people shouldnt squat because their posterior chain cant handle its a faggot. Although im 6ft I can see what you mean with the apperance aspect of looking good. Keep squating ass to the floor, deadlift, and bench press. One more to add which ive just started using and love is wide grip high pulls. Eat at a slight surplus for a while and adjust accordingly.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiTu
I'm tall and I've got really long arms so I feel that makes pressing a lot more difficult.

I read something a while back by Dan John that once you reach the ability to bench your weight 10 times or shoulder press your weight, then it's like you flip some switch and size gains start coming faster.

I see your stats and I remember graduating from college, the same height as you and 15 pounds heavier. Everyone, including myself, still thought of me as painfully skinny at that weight.

When you are tall it is much harder to be viewed as big.

Honestly, I feel like it is a losing battle. This is part of the reason I find it more satisfying to train for
strength gains, not aesthetics or size.

Still, since I've been focusing on increasing shoulder press strength I feel like my chest looks bigger and fuller and my shoulders are also bigger.

I hope this helps. I feel like I've only given you a pessimistic perspective but that's my two cents.

I will keep that in mind and try to work towards flipping this genetic switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3065
As a member of the 6'4 200+ club I will add my two cents on what works best for me when trying to gain:

4,000cals, 50% carbs.

and

Deadlifts, squats, weighted pulls.

I am nowhere near those calories/carbs but I do consistently Deadlift, Squat, and use weighted pull-ups. I am a Marine so pullups are a part of our physical fitness test and weighted pullups ensure I get my 20 dead hang every year. As far as squating and deadlifting goes. I have peaked at 315 for 3 reps using chalk and straps for my deadlift and the most recent 3RM I can recall for squat was 265. Living in the barracks and having to cook ALL of my meals with either a microwave or the one skillet i have limits how much i can eat. Also my fridge size limits how much food i can store so my hands are pretty much tied in that aspect.
Post 17 IP   flag post
JJ3065 private msg quote post Address this user
Use a blender.
Post 18 IP   flag post
KnifeHands private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3065
Use a blender.

This. 2 cups oats, 2.5 cups whole milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 banana and blend. Comes to 1186 cals and I drink two a day so 2372 cals right there alone without even eating. That only leaves 1628 that I have to eat to get to 4000 cals.
Post 19 IP   flag post
bhuntopp private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 6'3" and 215 right now. For years I thought I would never break the 200 pound mark. Then i found that what worked best for me is the same thing JJ3065 just posted. Heavy compound exercises, and use a blender to get 4,000 calories a day.
Post 20 IP   flag post
oceanair private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 5'3.5", if it makes any of you shorties feel better :p

but I like my height. I'm fun size.
Post 21 IP   flag post
ryan_929 private msg quote post Address this user
I manage to get my 3500 a day without blending but I have ALOT of free time on my hands, when in short of time blending shakes helps so much.

Milk peanut butter, protein powder, banana oats few strawberries whatever else you like, with 400ml of milk I usually get around 900-1200 cals depending on quantities I use

I'm 6'1 184lbs
Post 22 IP   flag post
Looks like ill be picking up a blender today. I'm using true mass right now to assist with those extra calories but making my own would probably be better since it would consist of whole foods.
Post 23 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
I'm confused are u asking for advice on how to put on weight when ur not in a caloric surplus ??
Post 24 IP   flag post
No I am primarily asking for training manipulation a that tall lifters have found to be the most successful such as more isolation or sticking to compound excercises, three or 5 day splits, use cheat or partial reps or stick with full ROM. Those kinds of things. I can switch to a caloric surplus at any time and I tend to gain weight fairly easily. I would just like this weight to go elsewhere besides my lower back and obliques.
Post 25 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack87
No I am primarily asking for training manipulation a that tall lifters have found to be the most successful such as more isolation or sticking to compound excercises, three or 5 day splits, use cheat or partial reps or stick with full ROM. Those kinds of things. I can switch to a caloric surplus at any time and I tend to gain weight fairly easily. I would just like this weight to go elsewhere besides my lower back and obliques.

Just wanted to clear that up i'm 6'4 myself so i understand what ur saying.
Full ROM, proper form.
Lifting split depends on prior experience.
i.e. first yr lifters doing 5 day splits is ridiculous.
Compound lifts all the way some isolation not much, biggest tip... 2:1 back:chest ratio. minimum.
Post 26 IP   flag post
jonrivs49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamere01
Quote:
Quote:

Also Semper Fi brother

I feel your pain bro!

Many people are hurt in this thread.. haha
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack87

Just wanted to clear that up i'm 6'4 myself so i understand what ur saying.
Full ROM, proper form.
Lifting split depends on prior experience.
i.e. first yr lifters doing 5 day splits is ridiculous.
Compound lifts all the way some isolation not much, biggest tip... 2:1 back:chest ratio. minimum.

Ok so I will be switching to a slight caloric surplus of like 300 calories over my maintenance caloric needs. Do you all think its ok to use something like True Mass post workout to get those extra calories or am i better off using whole milk and 100% Gold Standard or Syntha 6? Sorry to get off topic. I will multiple my body weight by 16 since I believe that is what Layne Norton suggest in one of his articles discussing nutrition which should put me at 2960 calories and i will do the Macro break down tomorrow at work. Secondly, tonight I did the Leg Hypertrophy PHAT routine. I altered a few things; I still did the speed squats as Layne recommends. What i did different this time is used a linear leg press machine for 5 sets working in rep ranges 8 all the way up to 15 and it felt fantastic. I was able to go incredibly deep and maintain a great mind muscle connection. This has led me to consider using machines slightly more during the hypertrophy days to really focus on moving the weight through the ENTIRE ROM explosively and controlled without letting other muscles interfere. I will continue to squat, deadlift, weighted pull-ups, ext... on the power days because i still love doing the squats but like i said, i will explore the machine world a little more when working in high rep ranges to really concentrate on the muscle intended to be worked.

Ill continue to check this if there is more input and whatnot. I am dedicated to training and tracking my macros. i would just like to see some REAL results without having to take some tren or something extreme. Gonna fiddle with this tactic a few weeks and then give Pull/Legs/Push a try while doing cyclic bulking with an attempted 800 caloric surplus.
Post 28 IP   flag post
SwoleAnimal private msg quote post Address this user
Keep us updated on your progress.. I know sometimes I wish I was shorter
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleAnimal
Keep us updated on your progress.. I know sometimes I wish I was shorter

How tall are you? I know I always wanted to be tall, big and strong. I drank tons of milk as a kid in hopes it would help me grow.

I always feel a little uncomfortable actually when I'm around people taller than me. It just feels like something's not right.
Post 30 IP   flag post
340762 30 30
destitute