Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LegsPHATSplit Advice

PHAT Leg Hypertrophy day :(10122

Highdeas private msg quote post Address this user
So the only thing I’ve changed for leg hypertrophy day is that I start with 4 sets of squats (4x10) instead of the 6 speed sets. Regardless of this change I’ve had the following problem before and after the ‘change’.
I’m having some trouble doing stiff-legged deadlifts after doing squats (4x10), hack squats (3x 8-12), leg presses (2x 12-15) and leg extensions (3x 15-20). I get to the rack and as soon as I lift the bar to begin my first rep I’m almost falling over because my quads are shot. Today, I rested for about 5-10 mins because it was impossible to even do a single rep. With the rest I still couldn’t do one. I decided to move on to lying leg curls and seated leg curls then go back to it and although I managed to do 3 sets of stiff-legged deadlifts, I was seriously struggling and had to lower the weight by a lot.

Anyone else experience these issues? What can/should I do to fix this? I just want monster-sized legs

Thanks for the help, I appreciate any feedback/criticism/advice
Post 1 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Do you realize the benefits to Speed work?
Post 2 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
Speed work is great, yes. But regardless of this being a PHAT program it is still a traditial "leg" day. I always start with squats and after my back is pumped. Romans would be impossible for me to do after. So I do an exercise that does not bare weight on the spine after squats
Post 3 IP   flag post
@NorIda I don't really but only reason I'm doing what I'm doing is because I only started squatting about 3 months ago and I'm trying to build massive quads and for some odd reason I think that doing 4x10 would be more beneficial than 6x3.

@SRorhrbac0808 My issue isn't with my back, it's the fact that I can barely walk after doing squats/hack squats/leg presses/leg extensions (too much lactic acid?) and when I go to do SDL it's almost impossible.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SRorhrbac0808 private msg quote post Address this user
^quit bein a little bish and hit your legs hard on leg day!!!!!! That is how it is suppose to be!!! Your a pussay!!!!!!! Kill the weights son!!!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
hahahaha you're just like my brother..during leg day I complain through texts to him and all he does is call me a pussy (he doesn't lift)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Speed work is pretty important dude. i would consider keeping it, or implementing it every other week, or something!

But back to your main point.... Why don't you just do SLDL after squats, or after hacks?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The way you're going right now looks to be very quad dominant, which can lead to some major knee issues.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I actually tried that order for a few weeks and was able to do SLDLs without struggle but my brain was telling me that I should just rape my quads first then hamstrings but I'll go back to it. As for your second post, my quads are getting 12 sets and hamstrings only 7
Post 9 IP   flag post
As for the speed work I'll definitely incorporate it back, I just preferred the burn of 4x10 as opposed to 6x3

#justwanthugelegs!

I appreciate the feedback
Post 10 IP   flag post
Any suggestions to make it less quad dominant or more balanced? As I stated, quads are getting 12 sets and hamstrings only 7, I know it's not great but it's close to being balanced lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Do you have an actual Hack squat machine, and a seperate leg press machine? Or do you try to make do with the same machine?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Yes they are separate ones
Post 13 IP   flag post
I would consider removing the leg extensions, and replacing it with, Glute Ham raises, Leg curls, or glute barbell bridge ( these have a different name as well, but i can't think of it atm. )
Post 14 IP   flag post
^ barbell hip thrust.
Post 15 IP   flag post
hahah I'll google them and see what I find. I'll either do that or instead of replacing leg extensions just add another Ham exercise and stop being a little bitch. But off the top of my head I'm not 100% certain that my gym has any of the non-barbell stuff.

As for my hammies I'm doing SLDLs (3x 8-12), Lying leg curls (2x 12-15) and seated leg curls (2x 15-20)

Thanks again man
Post 16 IP   flag post
340621 16 16
destitute