Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
NewbieSplit AdviceTraining Programs

If you were helping out a complete beginner10089

Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice. My brother has asked me to write him up a program, now im by no means a professional but i still want to help him out. He is 22 and hasn't really ever been into fitness, lifting or a sport. Hes a bit of the skinny fat type at the mo. My question is, where would you start someone like my brother?

So far my thoughts have been sticking it to the basic exercises, ie squat deadlift and bench in an upper/lower spilt, but im not sure for either 2 or 3 days a week, just following a A-B-A-B type schedule. Hes pretty busy with uni and work, so I dont want to throw him in at the deep end and keep the workload pretty light to begin with and then go from there. Anyone got any other advice? Im really keen to help him out and your guys opinions would be awesome!
Post 1 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
i would tell hime to just follow a basic strength routine covering the basic 3...just a 3 day split..learn form, gain general strength then after a couple months, maybe add some more workouts but still maintain the same basic structure
Post 2 IP   flag post
pandasashi private msg quote post Address this user
*him
Post 3 IP   flag post
lukecorney private msg quote post Address this user
full body program with compound lifts for a couple of weeks to a upper lower split to splitting it up more down the track
Post 4 IP   flag post
lukecorney private msg quote post Address this user
machines first till forms right then barbells till forms right then dumbells to slowly build up stabalizer muscles. basic pt 101
Post 5 IP   flag post
shannowman private msg quote post Address this user
Something basic by mark rippetoe, can't go too wrong with it. I wish it was how I startedz
Post 6 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
luke corney - bang on

- no squats, deadlifts, bench for the first 2 weeks because unless youre there teaching him the form and spotting him, he isnt ready to jump right into them.

- start with machines, chest press, assisted pull up, rows, lat pull down, hammer strength etc and get him to do 3 sets x 10 reps

Push / Pull / Legs + Abs IMO.

- then incorporate barbells/dumbbells more in the 2-3rd week !
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ramses private msg quote post Address this user
coolies, thanks for the reply guys. guess I would have been jumping the gun a little bit then..
Post 8 IP   flag post
James private msg quote post Address this user
Kick him in the nuts when he is squating!

Jokes aside...
I would stick to machines for the first few weeks just to get his body ready for working out, then i would make him do a full body compound workout, like benchpress, squats, deadlifts, pullups and so on.
If he gets into it and goes more and more i would split it up on 2 days workout, 1 upper body and 1 lower body.
Hope it helps!
Post 9 IP   flag post
BaiTu private msg quote post Address this user
It sounds like you should have him to the strong lifts 5 by 5 program. http://stronglifts.com/
That starts basically with the bar and covers the main lifts. There's a steady progression and deloads are built into the program. It's a great way to start him on the main lifts and teach him form.
No need to re-invent the wheel.
Post 10 IP   flag post
340762 10 10
destitute