Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressChestSplit Advice

Flat Bench DB Press (Question)10078

McQueef private msg quote post Address this user
This may seem like an amateurish question, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from you guys/gals:

Does anyone know of a video/article/personal experience that explains how to properly "hoist" the DBs into the starting position when doing Flat Bench DB Presses?

Whenever I watch other people do it, it seems relatively effortless, but I can never seem to do it without feeling like my shoulders are going to rip out of their sockets. I'm fine with incline DB presses. I just set the DBs on my knees and shoot my legs up to hoist the weights above my shoulders. Should I be using this same general process of shooting the weights off my knees as I roll backwards to lay on the bench?

The whole process of getting set up feels so awkward to me for some reason.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Flo1307 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a little bit strange,because for me personaly Db flat is way easyer (for my shoulders) than incline.

Put the Db as far as possible in the front of your knees,stretch your arms and swing back.
Post 2 IP   flag post
cassious private msg quote post Address this user
Training partner? lol. I have this problem too, fucking sucks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Flo1307 - yeah, I understand that most people don't experience this problem. I suppose I'll just have to practice with lighter DBs.

@cassious - yeah man, I fly solo at the gym.
Post 4 IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Here you go my man...

Best tips around... should help u out !!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks @FiremanSi, I can't wait to try this out during my next chest workout.

It seems like I've been doing a combination of the first and second techniques in the video, which is probably dangerous. I've been setting up with the DBs sitting on top of my knees, rather than high up on my thighs. I think the gap (between my stomach/chest and the DBs) that was created when I rocked back is where I experienced all of the instability in my shoulders.
Post 6 IP   flag post
samirsaleh private msg quote post Address this user
@FiremanSi IMO both his first and third way of getting the dumbells up suck
Post 7 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsaleh
@FiremanSi IMO both his first and third way of getting the dumbells up suck

Agreed. I do similar to the second method he showed.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@NorIda @samirsaleh

I don't think I'd ever consider doing the 3rd technique, but what exactly sucks about the 1st?

I know that it's preferable to start with the weights at an extended position, but is there something specific about the 1st method that makes it less desirable, other than the reason mentioned in the video?
Post 9 IP   flag post
samirsaleh private msg quote post Address this user
@McQueef U might break some ribs rolling 120lbs dumbells that way before lifting them

Id say just stick them far out on ur knees, swing back and push the weights up so that u start ur rep right away (dont over think it)

this is the method i prefer
Post 10 IP   flag post
@McQueef lol yea, as @samirsaleh its gonna hurt if you fall back too quickly, or lose balance as falling back if you aren't paying attention.

and if its heavy enough, its going to be ridiculously awkward getting the weights into position from a neutral, low grip like it puts you into. I just don't think its worth your while if you're going to use any substantial weight whatsoever.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@samirsaleh Thats how I do it as well.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@NorIda @samirsaleh Yeah thats the way i normally load up myself aswell lads.
Easiest method for me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
LIGHTWEEEEEIIIIGHHHHHTTTTTT !!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Jelet private msg quote post Address this user
It is basic physics. An object at rest stays at rest. And object at motion stays in motion. It is Newton's laws of motion I believe if my memory serves me right.

No sense in wasting your energy in getting that first rep up and cutting you short of reps when you can get a friend to help you on the first rep to get the weight going.

Get a friend to cup your elbows and push them up. makes it so much easier.

I like it because the total amount of reps done is more compared to doing it by yourself so i believe it can be better. just my opinion on what has worked for me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelet

Lol..... So, Get a friend to lift the weight for you... That would make sense as to why it makes it easier.
Post 16 IP   flag post
lols. only have a friend help you on the first rep. then tell them to stop. and yea i know in the video, only the first 3 reps were done by me, ( mean on the 3rd and 4th rep my friend taped my elbow on the right side only. it may have appear that he helped me on those reps but it was just 1 side and then he was under me just as a spot. but just pay attention to the first rep to see what i mean about helping get it in position then after that its. its all me and the others were assisted. but just wanted to post to show the cupping technique.

and the tap was not even needed, you can see that i still had the strength(at the speed and slow controlled form that i was going to finish the reps but thats besides the point but just wanted to throw that out there..)
Post 17 IP   flag post
GGBro private msg quote post Address this user
I do the second method as well. I just make sure to line up my body before laying back because I have rushed a few times and leaned back to find I missed the bench with half my back :/
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Jelet just trollin dude! Glad to see you posting a bit the past few days

@GGBro haha been there /awkward
Post 19 IP   flag post
o haha thanks.

and Iv tried to leave this site but simplyshredded is just truly the best. Nothing can compare to it... Even though I am very well liked and filled with massive reps on bb.com and other bodybuilding sites, it just isnt the same. Way to much broscience on those sites. (incline chest press only, glutamine, leg raises for abs, training muscles 2x a week=over training. soreness=growth. etc. all that broscience talk is still believed to be true by most members on other bodybuilding sites... )

SS forums are just the best for bodybuilding discussion. and it is good that we have "teachers" and older experienced members on here that can call out broscience rather than recycled info being mispread and spread with students teaching students. simplyshredded=best.
Post 20 IP   flag post
the1 private msg quote post Address this user
we forgive u jelet, start posting more.. just no nonsense about the big ones you like at the clubs.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Markovich private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It is basic physics. An object at rest stays at rest. And object at motion stays in motion. It is Newton's laws of motion I believe if my memory serves me right.

No sense in wasting your energy in getting that first rep up and cutting you short of reps when you can get a friend to help you on the first rep to get the weight going.

I like it because the total amount of reps done is more compared to doing it by yourself so i believe it can be better. just my opinion on what has worked for me.

Won't it hurt your shoulder if you have them at that angle?
Or is that the best way?
I've always used to tuck my elbows a bit in, like I am doing a BB benchpress.
Post 22 IP   flag post
lukecorney private msg quote post Address this user
put them on your chest and roll back. if you cant get the first one up your going to heavy and obviously not going full range of motion if you can pump he 10 after that, and as for wasting energy getting up the first one? why so you feel better pumping another half range rep out? sigh...what do you want to work your chest or tris? egos best left at the door imo
Post 23 IP   flag post
Swift private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLMmYqbaWg

start of that video, best way hands down!
Post 24 IP   flag post
AKK private msg quote post Address this user
Post 25 IP   flag post
LBC47 private msg quote post Address this user
Ronnie does it best! Yeah buddy!!!!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich
Quote:

Won't it hurt your shoulder if you have them at that angle?
Or is that the best way?
I've always used to tuck my elbows a bit in, like I am doing a BB benchpress.
yes, probably why i have a shoulder injury right now. even though i was doing dips when i was injured. wouldnt be surprised if having my elbows flared out like that made me more prone to injury. the reason why i used to do it that way is because i would feel it in my chest alot. if i had my arms tucked at the side i would feel it more in my triceps .
Post 27 IP   flag post
340624 27 27
destitute