Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
CardioCuttingInjury RecoveryMisc.Shoulders

Pec Tear = Comp prep over. Continue shred?19304

skinnykant private msg quote post Address this user
After some advice.

1 week ago I tore the connection point of my Pec to the upper humorous. The tear is bad, however could definitely be worse. I am looking at roughly 3 months recovery (3 months of little to no upper body weights).

I have been lifting for 8 + years and was about 6 weeks into a 16 week comp prep (at the time of injury).

Obviously i'm pulling myself from competing because I won't be able to go on stage if i am not completely happy with my entire prep.

I have decided to focus of cutting for aesthetic reasons rather than for stage.

Does anyone have any tips for continuing a shred while in rehab for a pec injury?

What is the best way to continue cutting while retaining as much of the muscle(s) I am unable to use?.

I have increased my calories slightly so I am not in as low of a deficit.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
What grade tear is it? Are you going to have surgery? Physical therapy? -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that bro.
How did it happen?
Post 3 IP   flag post
@eknight 2 - 3 but they are not going to operate. It has not fully separated. Yeah just lots of physio.

Got any advice?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes. Listen to your therapist and stop asking random people on the net for advice. When my patients do this shit they get taken to task for it. -3X
Post 5 IP   flag post
@eknight was asking for advice in regards to continuing a cut. Obviously not regarding rehab of a serious non weightlifting related injury
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
And I’m answering you about cont a cut. Your nutrition, conditioning, and movement patterns should all support the advice given to you by your therapist to focus on healing, not the advice of nameless, faceless people on the internet who likely have no clinical background because if they did they wouldn’t give you any specific advice anyway since you’re not their patient. -3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
Mick_MPH private msg quote post Address this user
@skinnykant

There are many variables that will be at play to continue a cut and retain your muscle

- You said you increased your calories. Go up to baseline and leave calories there for atleast 2 weeks. Due to being in a deficit for so long your metabolic rate would of slowed. Not only this you will re-sensitize hormonal balance. Studies show re-feeds don't have to much of effect on the metabolic system. You need food increased for a longer time frame to basically Kick-Start the system again.

- From Base calories you can start gradually de-creases over time to continue cut. Mind you if volume is going up you will be burning due to more workload over time, So don't go too aggressive with cals.

- If you were competing your volume should of been peaking coming into comp. Do a de-load. Start from a base and peak up over time again. (Volume)

These are 3 easy things to do however there is a lot more variables at play

This is my first post here but I suppose for credibility I have trained numerous competitors.

Unfortunate things happen, keep at it and you'll be back in prep in no time
Post 8 IP   flag post
340146 8 8
destitute