Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Training Programs

5/3/1 - A Good Program for Mass?19272

randallkevin private msg quote post Address this user
Hey ~

I'm looking to put on 10 lbs of muscle this year.

Would you recommend the 5/3/1 program or something else?

I'm 25 years old, 165 lbs currently.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not a fan of OHP because of the stress it puts on the shoulders, so I wouldn’t recommend 5/3/1 because of that. I also don’t follow the logic of deloading 25% of the year. It’s not necessary. Personally I would run Westside for Skinny Bastards or PPL. -3X
Post 2 IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
Adding on muscle is going to require eating in a surplus. Any type of workout would provide enough resistance work to overload the muscle. I agree with @eknight with the OHP and deloading.
Post 3 IP   flag post
randallkevin private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate these comments.

I've had shoulder blade problems recently as well ...
I"ll look into the Skinny Bastards program instead.
Post 4 IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
I run a modified 5/3/1 program. I believe it's called beyond 5/3/1

Much like Eknight I don't like deloads that often and I don't like overhead press. So I don't do them.

It's a proven program and it works to increase strength. I would recommend finding a program and just sticking to it for 6-12 months and assessing then. All the while focusing on macros and nutrition.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Dai private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
I’m not a fan of OHP because of the stress it puts on the shoulders, so I wouldn’t recommend 5/3/1 because of that. I also don’t follow the logic of deloading 25% of the year. It’s not necessary. Personally I would run Westside for Skinny Bastards or PPL. -3X

Do you recommend a special variation?
As I understand they where written more towards athletes, but I take it as they can suit the purpose towards strength goals as well. Saw a variation someone wrote which had 2 Max Effort Lower body day
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure I understand the question about being written for athletes, but here is a link to my preferred version: https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

-3X
Post 7 IP   flag post
339681 7 7
destitute