Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Power Lifting

POUND FOR POUND STRENGTH IS STUPID19261

JakeSimmonds private msg quote post Address this user
deadlifts are bad because they cause you to slip a disc, so now no one should do deadlifts.
Post 226 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
How do deadlifts cause you to slip a disk? Would love to hear how that works.

Ok let me try to dumb this down for you as much as I know how: evidence does not mean a clinical study. It can mean that, but doesn’t have to. There are no studies that will 100% prove or dispute anything. If something is 100% one way or the other it’s a fact, and there aren’t going to be studies to show it. Example: when you eat, you shit. For all healthy people, this is 100% true, so no studies. In that case, where would we look for evidence? Anatomy and physiology texts that provide details on the gastrointestinal tract. Still with me? See how that works?

There are several joints that make up the shoulder. One of them is the glenohumeral joint- known as the ball and socket, where the upper arm (humerus) glides against the socket (formed by the glenoid fossa of scapula). The position that this joint is most stressed in is when the arm is abducted and externally rotated at the same time- the exact position that barbell OHP puts the joint in. That’s also the position that the long head of the biceps tendon and one of the rotator cuff muscles (the supraspinatus) tendon are squeezed (impinged) against part of the scapula (the acromion). When you add resistance to the position (ie, weight for pressing) it creates further stress and impingement. How do we know this? The same way we know that we shit- it’s in every kinesiology textbook and is taught as a basic principle of shoulder mechanics. -3X
Post 227 IP   flag post
I dont get shoulder pain doing it tho
Post 228 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Of course not. You just started doing them within a few years. I already told you that this is what’s called a repetitive use or overuse injury. You may start to get some minor pain in a year or two. Then it will become daily, nagging pain. Then one day you reach into the back seat of your car and “pop!” There goes your rotator cuff. Most lifters in their 30s or 40s experiences shoulder pain from doing these. It’s the same as a pitcher who gets no pain for years from his pitching motion, but then “suddenly” seems to tear up an elbow or shoulder. That injury is not “sudden.” It’s the result of years of joint breakdown. What possible reason would I have for wanting you to not do a safe exercise? The only reason I would advise against a movement is because it is injurious. -3X
Post 229 IP   flag post
I get back pain when deadlifting even tho my back is straight
Post 230 IP   flag post

The Dark
Knight
That doesn’t mean you slipped a disc. Jesus Christ in a taxi cab, dramatic much?

You get back pain because- as I’ve said already- your core is weak because you don’t train it correctly. NOT your abs. Your entire core. -3X
Post 231 IP   flag post
But deadlifts and squats should strengthen core.
Post 232 IP   flag post
If they were a safe exercise it would not matter, you would still get no back pain.
Post 233 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
What in the world would make you think that? You need more than that to strengthen the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSimmonds
If they were a safe exercise it would not matter, you would still get no back pain.

This, in particular, makes no sense. ANY exercise can cause pain if performed incorrectly or if you’re weak in an area and using other muscles to compensate.

What- you got proven wrong with OHP, so now you’re going to fixate on deadlifts? I should start charging you for the free schooling you’re getting here. -3X
Post 234 IP   flag post
"This, in particular, makes no sense. ANY exercise can cause pain if performed incorrectly or if you’re weak in an area and using other muscles to compensate."

If you have weak triceps and chest you wont get pain doing bench with good form with deadlifts you still will.

"What- you got proven wrong with OHP"

You didnt prove me wrong you just said some questionable stuff which I have no idea is true or not.

"What in the world would make you think that? You need more than that to strengthen the core."

Heaps of powerlifting channels only do those lifts and they dont have weak cores.
Post 235 IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Ok I thought maybe you were trolling, because no one could possibly be this ignorant and stubborn, but I guess you are. I’m out. Keep believing what you want, it’s clear you will. Fine by me. You have a weak mind, which is why you have a weak body. You won’t last long in this game, but hopefully you’ll not cause yourself some serious injury from your obstinance and stupidity. -3X
Post 236 IP   flag post
salokin2 private msg quote post Address this user
OP,
have you considered that even though you think you're doing your deadlifts correctly, you actually are not? Or perhaps you have an underlying issue that is exacerbated by the deadlift? A medical issue you need to consult a physician about.

Most lifters do not get pain from deadlifting. If it were detrimental to everyone's health, don't you think they would have eliminated it from competition long ago? People deadlift hundreds of pounds without injury, regularly. If the 1st time you drove a car you got in an accident would you assume all car rides result in accidents or realize something went wrong with you or the other driver?

Deadlift is an exercise that the inexperienced can easily injure themselves if they don't have the proper knowledge and execution of the lift; they may try to push past what they should recognize is form or strength failure. Most likely that is the cause of your deadlift woes. It is much harder to push past what should be failure and loads are much smaller in other exercises, especially amongst beginning lifters.

Regarding the overhead press, EK is giving sound medical textbook advice. You can choose to listen to him or not, that is up to you. We all have free will and can believe whatever we want to. None of us are under obligation to back up what we say; this is the internet after all, but EK chose to validate his words with medical backing and his personal experience in the therapy field. Whether or not you understand the terminology isn't a failure of explanation; it's a failure in comprehension.
Post 237 IP   flag post
"Ok I thought maybe you were trolling, because no one could possibly be this ignorant and stubborn, but I guess you are. I’m out. Keep believing what you want, it’s clear you will. Fine by me. You have a weak mind, which is why you have a weak body. You won’t last long in this game, but hopefully you’ll not cause yourself some serious injury from your obstinance and stupidity. -3X"

I will last long in this game, I have no plans on quitting, and I dont train dangerous or stupid you dont know what your talking about.

Pretentious know it all who thinks being a physio therapist means he knows everything so he belittles anyone who he disagrees with.
Post 238 IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@JakeSimmonds
"Pretentious" would imply he's pretending to be something he is not or pretending to know something he doesn't. He really does know all this stuff. He actually has a legit education on this subject and works in the field.
"Know it all"? Yeah well, see above.

Look, you can do OHP all you want and you may be lucky and never have a problem. I love OHP. It's probably my favorite move overall, but I can't do it consistently. At least not heavy. Whenever I do I end up with shoulder problems that force me to layoff all pressing. I do throw them in once in a while, but not for long.
Post 239 IP   flag post
If overhead press gives you bad shoulders then what about dumbell shoulder presses?
Post 240 IP   flag post
@JakeSimmonds It depends. Look here as a start: https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-wrong-way-to-overhead-press.

keywords - "scapular plane"

By the way, I first heard of this from eknight.
Post 241 IP   flag post
"the page you were looking for does not exist"
Post 242 IP   flag post
I knew you would come back with that ... It's the period at the end throwing it off.
Here it is again: https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-the-wrong-way-to-overhead-press
Post 243 IP   flag post
Rawn private msg quote post Address this user
Cheers for that vid, now to correct my form.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Jesus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSimmonds
Jesus christ....
Yes how may i help my child?
Post 245 IP   flag post
339681 245 20
destitute