Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
LEgsSplit Advice

Build "decent" quads with limited exercises?19219

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, what's up guys!

I had a question regarding building my quads with only a limited amount of exercises I'm able to do.
I have this rare knee condition that had been causing me injuries ever since I started training legs.
...Just so its out there I am not avoiding these exercises because "I don't like them" or "They're uncomfortable to do".

With this rare condition, I cannot do any exercises that require my knee's to bend while my feet are planted on the ground such as squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc.
The exercises I'm limited to are leg extensions,cycling, stair master, running etc.

I wanted to know if I will be able to build "decent" quads with these limited exercises?

Realize I said "decent", meaning I am not concerned about building huge quads as that seems like a pipe dream for the exercises I'm limited too.
I have every other lower body muscle covered(hamstrings,glutes,calves) and I'm able to do multiple effective exercises to build them. Quads are the only issue!

Thanks for your help!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
Try to strenghten muscles around the knee with half bend exercises like band TKE's or similar work. After some time knee muscles will be strong enough to do squats above parallel. Just start slowly, do not build up in weights very fast. Legs positioning is very important, got to find position that does not aggreviate knee and at the same time allows perfect squat form ( bar travelling straight line during exercise) Above seems to work for me. I have similar knee issue.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Unfortunately it is impossible to build decent quads without squats for natural lifter. But you can mantain or just have athletic quads doing cycling etc, depends what means decent tho
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I think you can get hypertophy gains doing HIIT with high exercise intensity on stepper or tredmill tho. Definitely can maintain muscles that are present. You will get gains as long as you can progressively overload muscle on anything.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Thanks man! Unfortunately since I wont be able to do these exercises, building great "quads" are not in my future.

But I'm hoping these limited exercises will be enough to maintain or build a little more mass....I mean hell look at cyclists their quads are massive.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Aoverto7 private msg quote post Address this user
What is this rare knee condition?

Also, would stair master put similar stress on your knee since you are essentially doing the concentric portion of squat uni-lateraly?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
The condition is called bipartite patella, were as a child the knee cap didn't fuse together like normal, instead leaving two knee cap pieces separate, that are VERY prone to injury. Apparently only 2% of the population has it....And of course it goes to my fucking unlucky ass who happens to be into lifting

The knee is only irritated once the leg is flexed past a certain degree(if the feet are planted), small degree of bends like climbing doesn't. Also leg extentions are the only excercise im currently doing that stimulates my quads without any irritation.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Serious question- have you considered corrective surgery? -3X
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
Serious question- have you considered corrective surgery? -3X

Never had a big of an issue that came to that man, only problem is have with my knees is doing quad exercises. Which if I'm being honest isn't important enough for me to get corrective surgery on both my knees just so I can squat.

Couple years ago when I first started lifting I injured my right knee and months later found I had broken cartilage, which was removed through major surgery. The recover time was about 4 months,I cant even imagine the time for both knees.
..Hahaha Funny thing is that surgery did jack shit as I still have irritations squatting!

I know your in the physical therapy field, have you ever heard of this condition or had any clients/patients come in for it?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Yes, although it’s rare I have seen it before. As you noted, exercises that load the knee joint are pretty much out and the patient we had wasn’t allowed to even do sit to stand type exercises for several weeks. -3X
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@eknight off topic question man but I'm wondering is kneeling cable crunches, captains chair leg raises and standing oblique side twists with a plate are safe on the spine?
I know people are gonna be like, "squat and dead lifts are enough", but since there out of the question for me, I wanna directly target them.

I was considering Russian twists on a decline bench for obliques but I've just read they cause unnecessary radial loading on the spine.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
None of those are exercises I’d advise- especially not Russian twists. You’re putting your spine in flexion and rotation- the exact position you’re never supposed to lift an object from. Very unsafe.

I would advise anti-flexion and anti-rotation movements for strong lumbopelvic musculature. Things like planks, side planks, anti-rotation band movements, and Pallof presses. -3X
Post 12 • IP   flag post
338977 12 12
destitute