Stronger 24/7 Forum
ChestDiet AdviceNewbieProgress PicsProgress Update

6 years of lifting and not much to show19193

LBC47 private msg quote post Address this user
2012-2013

Plz help ☹️
Post 1 • IP   flag post
frame private msg quote post Address this user
increasing the weight on the bar from time to time helps, there wil be no progress if you work out with same weights every time, for example: lifting in 6-8 rep range, then when you hit over 8 reps - next time you increase weight to hit that 6-8 rep range.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Have you read the FAQ?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
I bet you're doing a bro-split and not focusing on big lifts. I bet you have a dedicated arm day, dedicated shoulder day, and you probably directly train your abs a few times per week.

Also, you probably "eat a ton, but just can't seem to really gain much weight."
Post 4 • IP   flag post
A majority of my split has been push pull legs. I can gain weight no problem (mostly fat). I only started changing to a bro split because I wasn’t seeing much difference.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
P/P/L is a good foundation. I'd stick with that over a bro-split. As @Jsn3004 asked, did you read the FAQ? Read both the "Routine Design for Dummies" and the "Simply Shredded FAQ". Tons of info there.

Some questions - How old are you? How were the P/P/L days laid out? What's your diet like?

Anyway, you don't look bad, but I can see how you'd want more results over the amount of years.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
P/P/L is a good foundation. I'd stick with that over a bro-split. As @Jsn3004 asked, did you read the FAQ? Read both the "Routine Design for Dummies" and the "Simply Shredded FAQ". Tons of info there.

Some questions - How old are you? How were the P/P/L days laid out? What's your diet like?

Anyway, you don't look bad, but I can see how you'd want more results over the amount of years.

I’m 32. I’m reading over the FAQ now thanks. PPL looks like this:

Monday: Push Hypertrophy
Tuesday: Pull Max Effort
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Legs (alternated hypertrophy/max every week)
Friday: Push Max Effort
Saturday: Pull Hypertrophy
Sunday: Rest

I’ll be honest, I tracked macros spot on for about a year and got some good shreds. I track on and off for months at a time. Aside from that I’ve been in a caloric surplus, not tracking or chicken and rice every meal but just keeping protein high but eating at restaurants and plain old home cooked meals. I know I’ve put on some muscle due to some body scans and me at 215 now is WAY better than me at 215 a while back. My question is, if I’ve been in a caloric surplus for most of the years, why haven’t I gained much muscle? Do I need to eat only quality foods at a surplus to make gains? I know I’ve been in a surplus Without tracking because, let’s be honest, it takes hard work for me to eat under my daily maint calories.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
What is your current lifts on the bench, squat, deadlift and bent over row, from last year and now? How much have you progressed?
If your not incorporating progressive overload overtime your not creating enough stimulus for your muscles to grow.

Prehaps you should start actually tracking your calories rather than assuming your on a surplus, most people overestimate how much they eat and you could also be active and burning more calories than you think.....And no! Eating cleaner foods won’t make a difference over “dirty” foods.

Plus you gotta realize being a natty the results are gonna be hella slow with each year.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
You have a good foundation at 215 lbs. I mean, if you had to step on stage in a body building contest, and dedicated yourself to dieting/contest prep over, let's say, 16 weeks you could astonish yourself. So I think you're in a strong position over all. But is your long term plan/goals?

In terms of strength gains, how have your numbers on the Big 3 lifts increased over time?

You can focus on your BF%, muscle size, or strength gains. I feel like "strength gains" is where one has the most control over over the long term so it makes sense to focus there with a fun/not too stressful split dedicated to that objective.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I’ve kind of been hovering around the same weights for a while, although I just recently got my bench press up from 225 at 4 reps to being able to do 10 reps out of nowhere and deadlift 405 for about 10 reps now, whereas I was only able to do 4 for the longest time. I used to squat 315 for 3-5 reps but just recently encountered lower back pain at the top of the squat. My goal is to bench 315 or more one day.
As far as my long term goals, I plan on leaving the gym when I can no longer pick up a weight. I would like to see much more mass up top. I have very broad shoulders but the front to back width is not there. I need mass! But I’m tired having no abs either.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
@LBC47 are you doing a ton of cardio? in order to add mass you are going to have to eat in a surplus and you can minimize the fat gain by eating a clean diet and get on a workout program for what you want. Remember you don't grow in the gym you grow outside and it is not always what you do within that hour you are in the gym but the other 23 hours. I would cut one of the days and do a upper/lower twice a week that way you could rest more. Just my two cents.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Just hit 475 on deadlift today. I do minimal cardio. Mostly walking on an incline for 30 min.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
@LBC47

Bro you look solid in your pictures!
...But it may also be that you're just a genetic outlier, in that you just gain strength a lot more relative to your muscle size.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
338814 13 13
destitute