Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Home GymPower Lifting

Rogue Bumper Plates - Cost Analysis19190

mikew private msg quote post Address this user
I've been researching options for a home gym and part of that is picking out plates that meet the following requirements:

1. As quiet as possible/minimize impact on floor

2. No rubber smell

3. Fit at least 6 45 lb. plates per side of barbell (i.e., width less than 2" or 50mm)

4. Accurate to stated weight within at least 1%, but hopefully 10-20 grams

5. Color-coded plates would be nice since the plates are going in the corner of the kids' play area.

6. Keep cost as low as possible

7. Weight in pounds (not KGs)

8. Stick with mostly 45s so no 35s or 55s which means a discount on a "set" is not viable

9. Purchase with credit card

10. Buy once - don't get stuck with crappy quality that needs to be upgraded in 1 year

11. But know that eventually the weights might be sold so keep re-sale value in mind

12. 450mm in height (regulation size for competition)

Steel plates would be cost effective but too loud (#1) so I'm looking at bumpers. Most bumpers are too big/take up too much space on the bar (#3) so the cheapest ones are out. And the cheap ones are more likely to smell (#2) so that's another reason to avoid the cheapest bumper plates

Elieko would be awesome but too expensive (#6). Vulcan makes some very nice plates but they're on the pricey side and KG only at this time.

I don't have cash on hand to buy used off Craig's List or FB Marketplace so I need to purchase new (#9).

The "bounce" factor is not too important here - this is for powerlifting not Olympic lifting - and no matter what, dropping 500 lbs on the ground is going to make some noise. (Quieter than steel, but still noisy.) I am counting on the platform to do most of the noise reduction and minimizing "rattle" between the weights and the bar.

Rogue has several types of bumper plates that meet most of the above requirements. It is almost impossible to sort through everything on their site so I created a Google Chart that compares 7 different offerings of Rogue Bumper Plates:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OspMnV6T74gFMuJ1f5HKdlEFZBh_P4kKXEEwP7W_iL0/edit?usp=sharing

This chart prices ten 45 lb. plates and two 25 lb. plates. Rogue sells these in pairs so that's why the numbers in Column B are half that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OspMnV6T74gFMuJ1f5HKdlEFZBh_P4kKXEEwP7W_iL0/edit?usp=sharing
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Based on the above chart, there is a major problem - everything is too damn expensive.

If I had to choose a set from the above, I'd be forced to go with the Rogue LB Training 2.0 Plates (https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-lb-training-2-0-plates). These plates are accurate (within 10 grams), thin (2 inches), and shipping is FREE. (Which saves about $150.)

$1,380 is WAAAAAAY over budget but it seems like it's better to get this purchase right the first time. Resale value on this name brand is pretty good. Maybe it's a good investment.

Links to the all bumper plates in the chart:

Rogue Color Echo Bumper Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-color-echo-bumper-plate

Rogue LB Competition Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-competition-plates

Rogue Color LB Training 2.0 Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-color-lb-training-2-0-plates

Rogue Black Training LB Bumper Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-black-training-lb-color-stripe-plates

Rogue Urethane Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-urethane-plates

Rogue Hi-Temp Competition Training Plates
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-hi-temp-competition-training-plates

Did I miss anything? The Rogue site lists 22 different types of bumper plates:
https://www.roguefitness.com/weightlifting-bars-plates/bumpers/bumper-plates
Post 2 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Yes! Everything is too damn expensive.

Questions:
1: What is the heaviest you can lift on any lift right now?
2: Is anyone else going to use the gym?
3: If 2 is Yes, what is their heaviest lift?
4: Where is the gym located? 1st floor, 2nd floor, garage, basement, etc.?
5: You mention a Platform - Are you building one or going with prefab?

My experience has been collecting what I can over a long period of time. I started collecting about 18 years ago and when a need would come up I'd find what I needed. Most recently, all my Oly plates, with the exception of one pair of 45s, has been acquired from craigslist. I have over 700lb of standard style plates (what I started with) and over 800lb of olympic style plates. Not one pair of 45s match. It's a real hodge-podge, but hey, it's weight and it was cheap.

I would advise you find a full set that would bring a nice discount compared to what you've priced out above for individual plates. Don't scoff at the 35s. I use mine all the time. Also, do you not want 10s, 5s, and 2.5s? I use those all the time as well. You get all that with a set. Buy a set and supplement it with additional 45s later on.

As far as Bumper plates, I don't see the value personally. I do train in my basement, though, so the impact on the floor is not an issue for me. I also don't drop the weight anyway. Instead of bumper plates you might consider putting your platform on top of a thick layer of horse stall matting to absorb impact to the floor.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular
1: What is the heaviest you can lift on any lift right now?
2: Is anyone else going to use the gym?
3: If 2 is Yes, what is their heaviest lift?
4: Where is the gym located? 1st floor, 2nd floor, garage, basement, etc.?
5: You mention a Platform - Are you building one or going with prefab?

1 - DL in the 400s so I need at least 8 plates. I will probably start with 8, not 10.

2 - Just me but hope to set an example for my son when he is older. I want to be like @wannabemuscular

3 - N/A

4 - 1st floor on a concrete slab. So kind of like a basement.

5 - Platform will be DIY. I might build a frame (which would allow for more sound proofing) or might just make it out of plywood/horse stall mats.

Quote:
I would advise you find a full set that would bring a nice discount compared to what you've priced out above for individual plates. Don't scoff at the 35s. I use mine all the tim

On that front, using 35s and 55s, I'm concerned about organizing all the different plate sizes. Seems like it will be easier to keep the weights in order if they are the same weight. Also, I need to keep the math as easy as possible.

Quote:
Also, do you not want 10s, 5s, and 2.5s?

These weights are a little easier to buy second hand or buy as part of a small set. I can also use steel for these so they will be less expensive than the bumpers.

Quote:
As far as Bumper plates, I don't see the value personally. I do train in my basement, though, so the impact on the floor is not an issue for me. I also don't drop the weight anyway.

I don't really drop weights but I'm no where near as gentle as you. Ha! Maybe I should be.

Based on testing at my current gym, I noticed two things... First, I think steel plates will be too loud and I really need to minimize noise in the house. Second, I noticed most of the noise came from the plates "rattling" around the bar when I set it down. It is likely that a competition set won't rattle as much. So steel plates are not completely out of the question.

The Rogue calibrated steel plates are bad ass and less expensive than bumpers: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-calibrated-lb-steel-plates

$1,161.43 vs. $1,380.00 = Save $219

I'm inclined to pay a little extra for the bumpers to limit the noise. But I still have a hard time spending over $1,000 on a weight set. Grrrrrr.

Quote:
My experience has been collecting what I can over a long period of time. I started collecting about 18 years ago and when a need would come up I'd find what I needed.

I started out with that vision but I need to get started ASAP. I've been monitoring CL for the past two months and I haven't seen the correct combination of quality, number of plates, price, etc. We don't have a basement so the "gym" won't really be hidden - which is an extra incentive to get something that looks nice.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
OK, you don't need 500lb right out of the gate, so you save a bit there.

Your son is a peanut, don't worry about planning for him. By the time he's of age, these bumper plates will be dried up, split, discolored and who knows what else. Steel is steel and will stand the test of time. Worst case scenario, you refinish them.

I get your concern about the noise and rattling. For me having all unmatching pairs and only a set of spring-locks to hold them in place, I do get some rattling and it is "clanky" when loading and unloading the bar. Doesn't bother me and I doubt it carries to the upstairs. Having a good set of collars can help with the rattling during sets.

I don't want to sway you, as it seems you have your heart set on the bumpers, but a quality steel set will last FOREVER and coupled with a nice elevated platform and padding I think you'll do just fine.

When I built my platform for outside I used 2x4s 8" on center with 2 layers of 3/4" ply on top. I guess you could fill the cavities with insulation and lay the entire thing on top of dense foam or rubber.

This is fun. I wish I could go back and start over, but I'd still be a cheap fuck either way.

I take it you're paying a gym right now? How much is your membership per month? You must've factored that in as well.

Almost forgot, what about a bar? Have one in mind?
If you start off with this: Bravo Set - you get the Ohio bar and a set of "starter" bumper plates which you can supplement as you go. This is free shipping.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular I much prefer metal/steel plates... the look, the feel, the even the sound. You're right that a good set will last forever. I would definitely choose metal/steel over bumper if I could.

But in this case, I'm compelled to go with rubber/bumper plates to limit/reduce noise. I watched a ton of YouTube videos last night and the loud metal clang was too much versus a duller thud. The metal/steel plates are less expensive but would definitely require a more expensive platform.

Ultimately, I'll probably have to invest in a good DIY platform but I really need to take every possible step to limit noise so I think it would be a mistake to go with metal/steel.

Quote:
I take it you're paying a gym right now? How much is your membership per month? You must've factored that in as well.

I'm paying $35/month. The "cost" of driving to/from the gym is what pushed me over the edge. It's only about 25 minutes away but lots of highway driving. I sustained one cracked windshield and two tires with a nail stuck in them in the last five months. Grrrrr.

Quote:
Almost forgot, what about a bar? Have one in mind?

The bar was an easy choice and I already have it. I went with the Buddy Caps Texas Power Bar from Texas Strength Systems:

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/products/bars/texas-power-bar-tpb

Quote:
This is fun. I wish I could go back and start over, but I'd still be a cheap fuck either way.

I agree; it has been a lot of fun. I am terrified that I might be someone with a home gym but is weak AF so I am extremely motivated to make this happen. You are a huge inspiration as well and prove that results come from doing a little bit each day. My goal is to follow in your footsteps.

And yes I *really* set out to do this as inexpensively as possible. I don't think the Rogue bumper plates are the right fit. Too dang expensive. I will create a new thread with some alternative vendors/sets that I found.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
338814 6 6
destitute