Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
AbsArmsCuttingPhysiqueProgress Pics

Body fat estimate help?19189

Fletch7878 private msg quote post Address this user
Have used the machine at the gym that tells you height weight and bf % and it told me 15% which seems high to me, I would believe it but it gave my mate 4%!?! And he has a higher body fat than me, have tried it a few times and given me quite constistent results but still saying he is 4% which is not right, just want to know out of interest😊 thanks guys
Post 1 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
8-10% would be my guess mate !!
Hard to know without back pic and legs pic !! People store fat in diff areas so hard to tell from an ab shot !!!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
You ever hear of the analogy "abs on a skinny dude is like tits on a fat chick"? Don't worry about your bodyfat, put on some freakin muscle.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@FiremanSi thanks mate
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular 😂 I know I’m skinny but put on 10 kg in a year so quite happy with how I’m doing thanks for your constructive comment 👌
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Fletch7878 You got it!

How old are you? Where are your calories at now? Deficit, maintenance, surplus? What are you long-term goals?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@wannabemuscular I’m 18, kind of hit a wall in terms of increasing weight but my strength is going up and just getting more and more toned and vascular. Eat good healthy meals but don’t take any extra protein or anything, I do need to eat more but is hard to take in more healthy calories on a student budget and don’t have time to cook 5 meals a day. Long term goal would be put on more muscle mass but would like to keep the tone, happy for this to take a long time, feeling in good shape at the moment but at 6ft 3 I still look skinny
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just under 6'3 so I know what you mean. But there's some low cost foods that are very student budget friendly. Pasta is a dollar for six servings. Oats are cheap. You can cook red lentils (I actually just throw two servings in my fruit shake in the morning). They get pricey but if you have a Trader Joe's they're super cheap. For 9 servings they're under two bucks. Each serving is 15 grams of protein. I know on this forum there's been a handful of threads for bulking on a budget.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
+1 for pasta ^^
I can eat loads of it. Plain, right out of a ziplock back. About $1 per box here in the US. 1lb box = 1600 calories! Take it a step further and go with Ravioli or Tortellini. They cost more, but are more calorie dense, you don't have to eat as much, and they come with extra protein due to the cheese.
Another would be Peanut Butter. Put it on bread, crackers, biscuits, whatever ... Good wholesome calories without having to eat a ton of it. Plus, you can keep a jar anywhere. No cooking or refrigeration needed.

Yes, be in it for the long haul. It sounds like you have your head on straight at least. Just have to get the food thing down.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I eat a hell of a lot of pasta with chicken in tomato sauce kind of things, bought 2.5kg of oats to have for breakfast, I always have the appetite to eat just lack preparation and money!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
As others have said your reading from that machine was way off. But that doesn't mean you can't track your progress.

You can buy a handheld body fat calculator on Amazon for about $35:

https://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306CN-Fat-Loss-Monitor/dp/B000FYZMYK

Accuracy may not be perfect but it allows you to control other variables - such as the time of day you take the measurement.

I.e., Measure in the morning to minimize fluctuations in water weight and other changes that happen throughout the day.

This allows you to measure progress over time.

A good scale and accurate measurement of your height will also help you get consistent readings that you can track over time.
Post 12 • IP   flag post

. My back and legs

Post 13 • IP   flag post
Ps I know I have twig calf’s
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Quads look good man and nice development on your back. Definitely better than the chest.

What kind of workouts do you do? What's your split like?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Go to the gym roughly 4-5 times a week depending on Work, haven’t got a strict plan, always do a back, chest and legs day. Do biceps with back and triceps with chest. Almost every week I do shoulders but occasionally miss as I see it as the least important out of all the workouts, and then an arm day if I have a spare day. For chest do incline press and flys, barbell press, pec dec fly thingies, cable flys and dips. Back I do pull ups, bent over rows, dead’s and various rows and pull down varieties. Legs is mostly squats and leg press, calf raises and leg curls and extensions. Shoulders is mostly press’ and raises
Post 16 • IP   flag post
OK, so basically a Push/Pull/Legs. You should be somewhat strict. At least with focus on Bench, Squats, and Deadlifts. Those are your money makers. Everything else is just accessory. If you're not already, I'd put those first in the routine on respective days and really try to progress on them. You're going to reap the most reward out of those.

Check out the Routine for Dummies thread at the top of the board (courtesy of @eknight). Lots of good points in there. Maybe you're aware of them, maybe not. Push to pull and Quad to Hamm ratios are important.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I do those exercises first, never heard of push pull ratios, started going to the gym not having a clue what I was doing and just experimented and learned off what I could see people doing. Probably time to start being stricter about what i do! I’ll have a look at the pages you mentioned, out of interest how long do your workouts tend to last as I seem to spend forever in there😭
Post 18 • IP   flag post
My sessions go anywhere from 45-80 minutes.
Any longer than 1 1/2 hrs and you're either doing too much or taking too much rest between sets.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Ah ok, usually spend 1:30 to 2 hours probably spend too much time chatting!😂 thanks for everyone’s help👍
Post 20 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
@Fletch7878 I’m just shy 6’4 it takes way longer to fill out ur frame bro...
I know.
Whey protein is real cheap dude and it works well on a college budget especially for convenience for just throwing it in some oats or adding some 1% milk with some pop tarts post workout for some easy calories...
Not all ur meals need to be clean I forced myself to do that when I was younger and in reflection was ridiculous.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user

-3X
Post 22 • IP   flag post
339137 22 22
destitute