Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Split AdviceTraining Programs

Should I hire a nutrition/lifting coach?19132

forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys what's up!

For the past couple years I have not made any progress, I've looked the same for YEARS, and it's very discouraging. I wanted your guys opinion on wheather I should go ahead and hire a nutrition/lifting coach to help me progress?

I am 6"2 200 lb. Around 23% body fat.
I want to cut down to 12%. But honestly I Justs feels impossible for me and I will never reach that percentage.
My lifts are very weak as well have I have not progressed in strength either.

I feel like if I hire a coach I will be more motivated to progress and won't slack because I'm being advised by an experienced person.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
EagleRare10 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, my philosophy is why pay someone to do something I can do myself. Given your time on this forum, you presumably have absorbed enough information to know what to do to achieve your goals. I doubt a coach/trainer will have significantly different or better info/advice than what you've hopefully been exposed to here.

That said, knowing what to do, and being diligent in doing it are two different things. It would appear your commitment and consistency are what is primarily lacking. So if you think having a trainer/coach would help keep you accountable, it could be worth a try. But it's not something you're going to want to do forever, so even if working with someone helps you make that commitment, what happens when you stop using that person? You're ultimately going to have to keep yourself motivated and diligent.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@EagleRare10
Good point man. Like you said I know exactly what to do in terms of dieting and lifting. The thing is I am not consistent and impatient as hell. If I don't see results in a week I get highly discouraged.

You would not believe me man, I would plan my whole diet over the weekend trying to match each macro and create a meal plan, while creating a workout routine that I would come up with.
....The thing is I would tell myself that im gonna be consistent and won't slack, but right around tuesday I would bing on food or skip workouts.

Don't know what's wrong with me, I'm so interested in fitness/lifting but if I have one bad lift or workout I would come home say fuck it and just binge on junk food.

Been doing this for years...years!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I don't think a coach or trainer can help with that. Having someone to lift with (even just a gym-buddy, rather than a paid trainer) can probably keep you accountable on the lifting side of the equation, but if you can't control yourself on the diet side, even with them planning out every detail of your nutrition, then I don't know what else to tell you... I've never worked with a coach or a trainer, so maybe someone who has will have a different and more informative perspective on it. But really, it ultimately comes down to your adherence.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
You won't be successful with a coach, personal trainer, or anything else until you fix the internal issue that is going on.

You have to want change more than you want comfort.
You're comforting and coddling yourself.

The coach will tell you what you already know.
Unless he is going to live with you and slap food out of your hand it's not going to help.
Accountability starts within us.

I agree with @EagleRare10
Post 5 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass, You say you feel like you'll never reach 12% bodyfat and at the same time your lifts and strength have not progressed. What do you want more? 12% bodyfat? Or, to build muscle and strength?

You need to decide which you want more and then commit to what it takes to reach that goal.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
That's true; you need to commit to one or the other.
Jumping back and forth will lead to an endless circle of no change.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
Whats your diet looking like? Are you counting your calories at all? Whats your routine looking like?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsn3004
Whats your diet looking like? Are you counting your calories at all? Whats your routine looking like?

2,000 calories. But I usually eat this for about only two days straight then just binge on junk food because a workout wasn't great or loss of motivation from slow progress....so not tracking calories I guess.

As for lifting I try to do high volume fullbody 4X week, but lately since I've started the 2,000 calorie diet, I am way to exhausted to finish even the first workout, like Im literally trying hard to just get through it. Then all throughout the day I'm just tired and sleepy, at home, in classes etc.
Not sure if I'm not conditioned enough.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
You already know this but two days isn't shit if you're just going to skip the next day, or binge on junk food all day. You need to be consistent, and stop spinning your wheels. Stick to a well known program. You go to the gym 4x a week, why don't you start 5/3/1? Instead of making up your own high volume full body routine, you already have a well established program that literally tells you every single thing you need to do that day.

And stop stressing over everything. Life isn't perfect. You're not going to have a good workout every single time. You can't just go home everytime you have a bad lift. Even if you took 5 weeks off throughout the year, that's still 188 workouts. Not every single workout is going to be good. Just man up and get through it.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I don't think high volume works well with calorie restriction. Everything I've encountered seems to say limit volume and maintain high intensity when eating in a prolonged deficit
Post 11 • IP   flag post
What these guys said ^^^^

100%

Personal experience: I've lost 18 pounds over the last 5 months. Strength has maintained or slightly increased in all lifts. Cut slowly. Eat and lift consistently. Stick to a plan. It works.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Thanks for all the advice guys!
Your all right, no point in spending tons of money on a coach if i'm not motivated enough to even be patient and persistent.

I have decided I am gonna go on a "SMART" cut and try to steadily lose weight while trying to get stronger. This time i'll really stick to it.

What I think ill do is create a log on SS, and post weekly updates and progress. This way I'll be motivated to progress each week and see what adjustment need to be made!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRare10
I don't think high volume works well with calorie restriction. Everything I've encountered seems to say limit volume and maintain high intensity when eating in a prolonged deficit

Very true.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Dorich private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenpass
I have decided I am gonna go on a "SMART" cut and try to steadily lose weight while trying to get stronger. This time i'll really stick to it.

There will be a limit to how stronger you'll get on a caloric deficit. Some don't get stronger at all, but rather maintain the strength they've acquired.

Not saying it's impossible, but eventually, and depending on the duration of your cut, strength gains will come to a halt, and if you continue cutting further they will start declining.

Not trying to demotivate you in any way, but on a prolonged cut it is not easy to maintain strength, let alone get stronger.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorich
Quote:

There will be a limit to how stronger you'll get on a caloric deficit. Some don't get stronger at all, but rather maintain the strength they've acquired.

Not saying it's impossible, but eventually, and depending on the duration of your cut, strength gains will come to a halt, and if you continue cutting further they will start declining.

Not trying to demotivate you in any way, but on a prolonged cut it is not easy to maintain strength, let alone get stronger.

Thanks man, will definitely keep this in mind!

I remember 2 years ago when I injured my right knee I went to the gym 3x week and only did upper body, while eating 1,500 calories! I was super busy with school, work etc. and I wanted to try to cut weight extremely fast, but also tried to get stronger.
Hahaha somehow I managed to increase my bench/barbell row from 95lbs to 225lbs, while losing 12lbs. Strongest I've ever been...Of course being the lucky guy I am I lost all my strength and size once I got re injured.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
I actually think everyone in this thread are wrong: a personal coach can be the best thing for good results. The problem is finding a good one that doesnt' cost too much.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't read any of the other responses...

The one reason why I see people like you not making progress is because you just are not putting in the work. You lie to yourself about what you are doing and you don't properly educate yourself. You talk like you are giving 100% in the gym but you only give 50%. You say you plan out your meals but you cheat or don't plan correctly or you don't stick to the plan consistently enough. 23% body fat is terrible. If you can't see results just with proper eating habits then we can't help you and a trainer can't help you because your obviously not motivated enough to do it right. You need to work on self control and stop lying to yourself about what you are doing. Simplify if you have to and cut all the crap out of your life and commit to what is important.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I actually think everyone in this thread are wrong: a personal coach can be the best thing for good results. The problem is finding a good one that doesnt' cost too much.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of great coaches out there who are knowledgeable and get great results that can completely justify the cost. But it also seems like @forgottenpass goals are reasonable enough that, at least to me, it would be difficult to justify paying someone a lot of money to get there... like, if I were prepping for a show or something, yeah I would probably hire a coach. But to get reasonably lean with some decent muscle, especially after being exposed to the info on this forum, isn't rocket science, it's diligence and consistency.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
@forgottenpass you have a distinct goal:

Quote:
I am 6"2 200 lb. Around 23% body fat.
I want to cut down to 12%. But honestly I Justs feels impossible for me and I will never reach that percentage.

But do you have a deadline? If you are working toward something specific - like a competition, vacation, wedding, etc. - that will sharpen your focus.

Another "trick" is to pick a specific weight loss goal. Let's say 180 lbs. (Assume you can lose 1 lb. per week.) Then pick sub-goals: cut to 192, cut to 184, cut to 176, etc. You can make a complete transformation in 3-4 months. But it's necessary to have those mini goals along the way.

In terms of coaching: if you can find the right coach, I think it would help you achieve your goal. To do this as cost effectively as possible I would pick a coach with a very narrow expertise who can help you with one thing.

Maybe the "coach" designs a meal plan for you. Or maybe it's a different kind of coach - someone who can prepare 1-2 meals for you per week so that you don't have to think about what to buy/prepare/etc.

Anyway, it's been about a month since you posted your thread. How are things going?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
338814 20 20
destitute