Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum
Bench PressProgress UpdateTraining LogTraining Programs

Am i forever gonna be stuck on 154 lbs bench18910

Musa private msg quote post Address this user
So i been lifting 3 years, all that time i spent 80% of it cutting the fat i gained from the dirty bulks that i gained in short months.

I thought if the scale is moving 50/50 is fat+ muscle but more like 99% fat.

Since i started gym i have been stuck on 140-154 bench. Idk if i am weak or doing something wrong. i used to do 5x5 reg park type of training but i would always stall on 154lbs bench. then i wuld try other shit then cycle restarts.

don't get me started on squats/military press.

Any advice?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Salokin private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, you are weak.
Stop screwing up your diet.

Be consistent with lifting
be consistent with diet

if you're going to "bulk", do it properly
if you're going to cut, do it properly

stop the dirty bulking crap or stop looking for advice, it seams you know what you're doing wrong
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I want to gain size, im 6'0 177lbs. If i bulk ill just gain more bodyfat but if i cut ill wont gain muscle or size.

I can't decide which path to go man. really annoying, but ty for your advice man.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Baggy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm about to blow your mind.....

Bulk for a while to gain size, then cut for a while to lose fat. repeat.

Post 4 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
Why would you gain more body fat because you're bulking? If you're doing it right, your fat gain will be minimal, if any. -3X
Post 5 • IP   flag post
So your advising me to carry on bulking?

My stats are, 6'0 177lbs. I am around 16-17% Bodyfat, weak as fuck.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
NaturalBrawn private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe if you tweak your terminology you will find it easier (mentally).

Continue with your 'lean gain' period, continue in a slight caloric surplus and make sure your programming has some progression built in, manipulate frequency, volume and overload. ( I saw you mentioned you had done this previously, return to this.)

Evaluate your bench press form, are your feet planted, are you bracing your core, and pushing into and up the bench through your traps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkqJ7eMapuI (One of many many many videos).
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thanks man appreciate it. Good form video, will be trying tomorrow.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Jsn3004 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @NaturalBrawn. If you are scared to "bulk", then consider yourself in a "lean bulking/gain period" (Even though both of these terms are synonymous.

Eat in a slight caloric surplus. Weigh yourself everyday and after every 7 days if your average weight has stalled, slightly increase your calories. If your weight has increased too much, cut back on your calories.

Follow a good program. Don't make your own shit up. You're not in the place to be making up your own program, especially since you're benching that weight after 3 years.

Watch instructional videos from good sources. Candito has great videos on benching, squatting, and deadlifting. Watch Silent Mike. Watch Greg Nuckols.

So to sum it up. Slight caloric surplus, follow a good program (don't add and remove things), and get your form down.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Cheers, alright back on surplus >> fatmode time
Post 10 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Again, why are you stuck on the idea that you're going to get fat? -3X
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Because eating a surplus when your 16-17% bodyfat has an effect that you gain more fat than muscle.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Then eat less of a surplus or be more active. -3X
Post 13 • IP   flag post
haole private msg quote post Address this user
Eat at a 300 calorie per day surplus and gain about 1 pound per week.

Is that a 154LBS for one rep?! If that is the case you should just give up or slap yourself in the face. After three years of lifting anyone should be benching their weight for 1rep.

There are so many things wrong with your story that I don't think we can help you through the internet... Someone needs to whip your ass into gear.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Dam so yesterday, i pulled a muscle in my back squatting. Bed bound past 24 hrs, holy shit. Done with squats.

@haole ye i will be eating 300 cal surplus. Hopefully slowly gain strength and size.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa
Done with squats.

Would not advise. -3X
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@eknight Well when you snap your shit up a few times like me, you will know then when to give it up bro x.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
2 herniated lumbar discs.
Torn ACL, MCL, and broken tibia.
Lacerated stomach, 18" of intestines removed, clinically deceased and had to be resuscitated.

Still squatted after all that.

Talk to me when you come back from the dead junior. -3X
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Lol shit man. I can't take another round of injury cause of an exercise. Really ain't worth it if you aren't a professional athlete who needs to squat.

Health is wealth after all.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
NorIda private msg quote post Address this user
@Musa or you could learn proper form and not snap yo shit up.

But let's be honest, you're benching 150lbs. Not sure how you can snap
You shit up squatting 100lbs. Cause we know if your bench is that shitty, you surely ain't squatting any real weight.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@norlda once i recover from the injury, will be training smarter. As for now will be cutting till im 160 pounds 10% bodyfat.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
forgottenpass private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by eknight
2 herniated lumbar discs.
Torn ACL, MCL, and broken tibia.
Lacerated stomach, 18" of intestines removed, clinically deceased and had to be resuscitated.

Still squatted after all that.

Talk to me when you come back from the dead junior. -3X

How the hell did your doctor allow you to squat again after those injuries man? Do you keep the weight light now or still squatting heavy?
Post 22 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
At the moment I'm not squatting because I have surgery Monday for a ventral hernia, but before this (and after the other stuff) I went as heavy as 325x5. My surgeon told me to remain reasonable and be aware of my limitations. He knows how long I've been training and my education and background so he trusted my judgement. 👍 -3X
Post 23 • IP   flag post
339005 23 23
destitute