Stronger 24/7 - Stronger Everyday
Stronger 24/7 Forum

Knees crack and pop with pain when squatting18857

Cannonball private msg quote post Address this user
... but not when I wrap a band around my knees and try to extend it by pushing knees outward. Anyone know why?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
FiremanSi private msg quote post Address this user
Where it's the pain exactly ??

Generally he cracking happens to most who squat a lot for a long time Andy isn't an issue but the pain is.
Need to know where the pain is in relation to the knee ??
Post 2 • IP   flag post
mikew private msg quote post Address this user
- Are you sufficiently warmed up?

- Tightness in muscles around knee? (Can use a Tiger Tail or foam roller)

- Have you considered laying on your back and using your arms to move the weight up and down?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
Where it's the pain exactly ??

Generally he cracking happens to most who squat a lot for a long time Andy isn't an issue but the pain is.
Need to know where the pain is in relation to the knee ??

The pain is located mostly to the tendon on the backside of the knee, the other one. Stretching the IT band helps somewhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
- Are you sufficiently warmed up?

- Tightness in muscles around knee? (Can use a Tiger Tail or foam roller)

- Have you considered laying on your back and using your arms to move the weight up and down?

I did try the last one and it worked great until I recently noticed my leg volume has decreased??? idk man
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Cannonball If its the back of ur knee it could be, which i'm guessin because there is no tendon there, it could be a popliteus issue and its a shortening of the muscle caused be it not being locked out regularly enough.... it works on locking home the knee.
U'll know this if u jam a lacross ball into the back of ur knee and bring ur calf to hamstring while seated and it its tendon it'll a contributor to ur knee pain....
It the issue is the front of the knee it's a different story.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
@Cannonball Strange. I didn't know you even did squats.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
The Dark
Knight
eknight private msg quote post Address this user
@wannabemuscular LOL. -3X
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanSi
@Cannonball If its the back of ur knee it could be, which i'm guessin because there is no tendon there, it could be a popliteus issue and its a shortening of the muscle caused be it not being locked out regularly enough.... it works on locking home the knee.
U'll know this if u jam a lacross ball into the back of ur knee and bring ur calf to hamstring while seated and it its tendon it'll a contributor to ur knee pain....
It the issue is the front of the knee it's a different story.

After looking at pictures I think it's the medial collateral ligament that hurts?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemuscular

come on man... never squatted anything worthwhile but I've done 360x1 and 220x17 aswell as a 220 deep bulgarian split squat
Post 9 • IP   flag post
jostrosky private msg quote post Address this user
Bro we are not doctors and no offence to anyone on here but I would not take medical advice from any one but a doctor.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostrosky
Bro we are not doctors and no offence to anyone on here but I would not take medical advice from any one but a doctor.

People with great interest and with training as a hobby usually have alot of good advice to give when it comes to things like this, especially people on this board who are actually educated in the matter aswell. Normal doctors usually don't have a clue and just prescribe painkillers, in my experience.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
THE GODFATHER wannabemuscular private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Quote:

come on man... never squatted anything worthwhile but I've done 360x1 and 220x17 aswell as a 220 deep bulgarian split squat

Does the knee pain happen with any kind of squat or just regular back squat?

Quote:
Quote:

People with great interest and with training as a hobby usually have alot of good advice to give when it comes to things like this, especially people on this board who are actually educated in the matter aswell. Normal doctors usually don't have a clue and just prescribe painkillers, in my experience.

Agreed. Unless they actually do a scan and diagnose some structural issue. Typically they'll just tell you to lay off it and prescribe anti-inflammatories.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does the knee pain happen with any kind of squat or just regular back squat?

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Unless they actually do a scan and diagnose some structural issue. Typically they'll just tell you to lay off it and prescribe anti-inflammatories.

Regular back squat is the worst, then comes goblet squats. Bulgarian split squats doesnt hurt at all.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Cannonball if Bulgarians don't hurt u may need to address ur hip and ankle mobility. Tight hips can't restrict the movement of the knee and cause pain... look up smashwrx on YouTube he has a bunch of videos on creaky kneees from tight hips and he'll run u through some banded work to clean them up..
The try doing some TKE's for sets of 15-20 to lengthen that popliteus.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I've come to the conclusion that bulgarians dont hurt because even if I go to the same depth (hip below knee) my knee doesn't bend more than 95 degrees, where in normal squats if I'm going to that depth it's more like 130 degrees. What does that mean?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Cannonball well ur knee is in a greater state of flex ion so there's more demand on it !!
Have u any ankle issues ??
Tight hips ??
Getting a physio to work on ur quads and massage them out helps me recover faster !!
Some people not everyone are responders to glucosamine and condritonnso U could start taking them also for a joint support supplement !!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
338772 16 16
destitute